hearing impaired soccer player

JOE23

d-burg played Munford last night at munford. One of their starter's was deaf and his mother was there to interprete for him. everything was okay she pretty much stayed out of the way UNTIL the kid got a yellow for charging on a free kick. then she ran up to the ref asking questions, etc. she was disruptive and distractive but i'm sure the ref didn't quite know how to handle it.

also after this she was talking to other players on her team and fussing at players on ours most of the rest of the game.

then, one of our forwards got involved in a hard tackle and a fight broke out (but i dont think her son was involved other than running over like everyone else). and she was all over the place-getting in the middle of everything-really disruptive-it was just unbelievable that she was allowed out there.

so why does he get special treatment? shouldn't he know the rules like everyone else? dont we all wish someone would explain a ref's call to us? I think the kid need's to take some lipreading lessons and the coach and refs need to tell the mother its time to let the chick out of the nest and she shouldn't be allowed out there unless he is injured or the ref calls him over to talk to him about something. what does everyone else think?

Edited by JOE23

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I support your opinion. Once out of the recreational levels of AYSO and YMCA, I fully believe, impaired or not, that players should be on their own. Perhaps he made it to the collegiate level. Would his mother be able to stand out on the field then? Absolutely not. In my opinion, the player will never gain a sense of independence and the ability to play well on his own with his mother constantly doing such things. I've played against deaf players as well as one with a prosthetic leg and not once was a parent of their's out on the field or anything of that nature.

I don't think the issue is with the deaf player. I think the issue is with the mother. How many times have parents been the headache, regardless of disabilities of any sort. This is why I am very glad that I am on the opposite side of the field than the fans.

Edited by BigGExpress

I don't think the issue is with the deaf player. I think the issue is with the mother. How many times have parents been the headache, regardless of diabilities of any sort. This is why I am very glad that I am on the opposite side of the field than the fans.

LOL. thas a great point! :angry:

but you know-translators aren't on the field for international students. I think she is handicapping him even more. I know everyone on our side was taken off balance. How do you handle it? What do you say? I hope when they come to d-burg to play we will establish some boundary's for her. Only on the field if he is injured or if the ref specifically needs to talk to him about something.

Guest Number8

I totally believe the issue is the mother NOT the player. how do u think he feels like when he goes home after his mom put up a show like that. He is just an other player like me and u, who got one lil disadvantage which his mom is making a huge dea of. i think he sometimes wishes his mom wouldn't be at his games.

The mother obviously overstepped her boundries as an "interpreter". Like it or not, the HI player has the right to have an interpreter at the game, or any other school function for that matter. An interpreters job is just to relay spoken words and to add nothing else, once the mother crossed into a parenting role she should have been removed from the game. The coach or another school representative needs to step in and put the mother back in the stands and the school needs to provide an true interpreter for the games.

The mother obviously overstepped her boundries as an "interpreter". Like it or not, the HI player has the right to have an interpreter at the game, or any other school function for that matter. An interpreters job is just to relay spoken words and to add nothing else, once the mother crossed into a parenting role she should have been removed from the game. The coach or another school representative needs to step in and put the mother back in the stands and the school needs to provide an true interpreter for the games.

That's good information-but how specific is that rule which defines that right? I agree that he has the right to have an interpreter there-for injuries or if the ref needs to speak TO HIM. But does that rule mean that she is allowed to shadow him everywhere? Does the game have to stop if he has a question or he wants something explained? If the rule is not specific then there is room for negotiations about where and when it is appropriate for her to interupt a game and this should have been discussed with her and her son by their AD and their coach.

Edited by JOE23

I have a hearing impaired student in my classroom. She is excellent at lip-reading but she also has an interpreter (which she would rather not have, but the mother INSISTS that she have). It is their educational right to have one but the interpreter is not to interfere in my classroom in any way. Her job is to interpret what I say and to be as "invisible" as possible. This mom gives a whole new meaning to the term "soccer mom". If she is the interpreter for the player, her job is to interpret when needed, that is all.

That's good information-but how specific is that rule which defines that right? I agree that he has the right to have an interpreter there-for injuries or if the ref needs to speak TO HIM. But does that rule mean that she is allowed to shadow him everywhere? Does the game have to stop if he has a question or he wants something explained? If the rule is not specific then there is room for negotiations about where and when it is appropriate for her to interupt a game and this should have been discussed with her and her son by their AD and their coach.

A HI player has no more right to stop play than any other player, the rules apply the same. As stated by JustWrestle the interpreters job is to stay as invisible and least intrusive as possible.

"(which she would rather not have, but the mother INSISTS that she have)" by Just Wrestle

My children would rather not do a lot of things that I INSIST upon, that's my job as a parent.

A HI player has no more right to stop play than any other player, the rules apply the same. As stated by JustWrestle the interpreters job is to stay as invisible and least intrusive as possible.

"(which she would rather not have, but the mother INSISTS that she have)" by Just Wrestle

My children would rather not do a lot of things that I INSIST upon, that's my job as a parent.

Again-great information from the both of you. thanks

i think that the player does deserve some sympathy, but his mother took it to whole new level. she needs to learn to let her son learn things on his own, or he never will. if you never get to learn things for yourself, then you will never experience anything. any other opinions?

i think that the mom should have a constant yellow card and her next offense jumps straight into a red and she is gone.

not just kiddin she seems a little too attached, she needs to be told that her son is in high school and should do as many things as possible by himself so that he can grow as an individual instead of relying on someone else all the time.

I think that this player (does any one know his name?) would like for his mother to back off and give him some breathing room. I know that both of my parents have gotten at least two red cards each and sent away from the field, and it calmed everyone down somewhat and i could concentrate a little more knowing that my parents were not yelling at the top of their lungs, especially when they were clearly wrong (sometimes).

So i am saying it is great she is protecting her son, but she is no one special. She can not just ignore the rules of soccer b/c her son has a hearing impairment, he chose to play which implies that he uphold the rules of the game; therfore, she should too.