Lady Cyclones Softball

EHSFAITHFUL

An illegal pitch in this case, is what is known as "crow hopping." In softball, the pitcher must keep one foot on the ground at all times. A "crow hop" means that the pitcher leaps off the mound, bringing both feet in the air during her stride. This leap can add up to 10 mph to a fastball that is thrown.

It is my understanding that a warning was issued not long after Robinson was put into the game. Not sure whether that is true or not. Either way...I look at it like this....Early in the game the Devils had bases loaded, two outs, with Bennett at the plate. The count was full, 3 and 2. The next pitch was clearly ball four, high up around the chin area and about 6 inches off the plate, but it was called strike three to end the inning instead of walking in the run. Let's say that pitch was called ball four. Bennett walks, scoring the runner on third. The score would then be 4-0. Had the game continued on like it did, after the Cyclones had their big inning in the 6th, the score would still be 4-3. Take out that illegal pitch call that, ironically, scored Bennett, and the Devils still score 2 runs that inning, making it 6-3. The Cyclones were shut down in their half of inning. Ball game.

Now...maybe by taking out the illegal pitch the momentum wouldn't have changed. I completely agree that the call came at a horrible time, possibly more so for the Devils than the Cyclones. Now those girls have to defend their win....It seems like every year something happens in the big game that causes Erwin to look bad for winning (can we say Substate 2005 anyone?). Also, I don't think anyone should even begin to say or think that Rufus favored Erwin for some reason. I know from experience how much he dislikes the Devils. I have seen close calls go against them more times than I can remember when he is officiating.

We all know that had the call gone the other way, had Elizabethton been given a break by the umpire, Erwin would not be happy...but one thing this team from Erwin has this year is class. They took a hard loss over the weekend and some of the calls clearly went the other way...but they shook it off and carried on. It was a horrible time to make that call, I agree, but complaining about it is not going to change it. We can't change the past; we can only affect the future.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True "crow hopping" is one form of an illegal pitch along with a replant, and letting your arm get over a certian distance out from you body, which is my understanding what Robinson was called for yesterday rather than crow hopping.

That's what I figured. I've wondered when someone would make that call on her, but the timing in this case is ridiculous.

HardBall, First of all, the illegal pitch was not for crow hopping but for her arm being too far away from her body. 2nd of all, I believe the Lady Cyclones showed a whole lot more class in the their loss to you guys than I saw the Lady Devils exhibit in their loss to Cherokee in the NFS tournament. I won't get into the details about that but if you were there, and I'm sure you were, you had to see it and hear it.

This post was not meant to fight about the game but to congratulate the Lady Cyclones on a job well done.

Go Cyclones!

Don't just be proud - be thankful!

Thanks for clearing that up FAITHFUL. my mistake in assuming that was the call. pardon me for being human. and what exactly did the blue devils do that you feel was so unclassy saturday? my guess is that you caught only part of that situation and therefore don't know everything that happened between the devils and cherokee.

i don't recall ever saying a word about the cyclones not showing class after the game yesterday. if i did, please show me where. the only statement i made was that there simply is no point in complaining about a bad call after all is said and done. and please note, i said BAD CALL. i do not think that was the time for that call to be made. but it was, and there is nothing anyone can do about it. the point i was making is that we, as fans, should not fight about the game since the game is over and done with.

yes, congratulations to the cyclones on a job well done. they played hard, but neither team played well. just remember...this post is about the cyclones game against unicoi....not the game between unicoi and cherokee. :lol:

Edited by hard_ball1

Hardball,

I've got no dog in this fight so to speak & I know this thread is about the Eliz. vs. Unicoi game but having no other place to say this, I want to take issue with at least some of the girls from Unicoi having class. Before the Unicoi vs. Unaka game in the NFS tournament last week several people heard & saw some of the blue devils in the press box shouting out "Musick and the Rangers are over rated" and laughing about it & then making fun of some of the girls from Unaka. I won't go into the details of the game except to say that I believe that Unaka earned Unicoi's respect on the field even though we lost. These statements were coming from girls who always acted friendly toward Unaka & told us that they were our friends. I've always had nothing but respect for the Unicoi Co. softball program. Everyone in E. TN knows that Unicoi Co. has a great softball tradition & I can honestly say that is the first incident I've ever witnessed from their girls that was shameful. I would like to think that the parents & Coach Lingerfelt didn't know about this or they would have put an immediate stop to it. Please don't take this post as an attempt to pick a fight with you guys - as I said before, I have nothing but the upmost respect for your all's program, but please let these few girls on that team know that we know what they really are now. I'm just sorry we had to learn it that way.

12fan, thanks for letting me know about the incident, but I think it's possible that what was heard was a pre-game ritual of the devils. for about two years now the girls have gotten together before nearly every game to do "reasons to beat...." (you can honestly tell when they don't do this before games...the girls are dead). this is something that was started a couple of years ago in attempt to get the girls up before the game. at one point the devils had a hard time "waking up" before they went to play, so a junior started doing "reasons..." to get their adrenaline flowing. this is not something the girls take seriously in the least. trust me, unicoi respects unaka much more than some teams. during the game friday night, i saw the two shortstops talking with each other during a time out...and the next morning some of the girls from both teams spoke to each other between games...on a first name basis.

the coaches are aware of the rituals but realize that they are done simply to get the players pumped. if there was any sense of seriousness behind what is done, i can assure you it would NOT be allowed. in fact, the devils have quit doing some things that are extremely disrespectful that was allowed two years ago.

again, it may not have been the "reasons to beat..." ritual that was heard, but it very well could be. if it was, if you look at, this could be a motivation to not only the devils but other teams as well when it is heard.

i can promise you, and anyone from unaka, the unicoi players have the upmost respect for unaka and nearly every team they face. that game friday night was one of the best of the year, in my opinion. there is nothing like two talented teams playing in those kinds of conditions.

either way, i apologize to you and any players that were upset by the incident friday night and assure you that it will be addressed. :thumb:

#12fan not starting anything but I really dont know what your talking about.... I was in the press box before that game doing some work and there was not one Blue Devil girl in there from the team.... There was some little girls in there eating but, that was it.... I also know before every game the girls go hit in the cage and when there done they go back to the field house and get ready for the game behind closed doors.... They dont come back out till it is time to hit the field.... And as far as respect goes I think that Unicoi has respect for every team they play.... They are a good group of kids that in (MY oppinion only)dont always get the respect they deserve....