Arm chair umpires

SHS1

home plate is fair terriotory

That's another one that a lot of bleacher blues don't know.

Two decades ago when I was coaching Little League (OMG, I'm old), the game coaches lined the field and the coaches for the next game umped. When I got to the field I was umping, the game coaches had just finished lining off the field--they drew the lines from the bases to intersect at the front of the plate, because they knew the plate was in foul territory, LOL.

Ah, well. At that age (7 & 8), one can be patient with dads who screw up the rules because it proves they aren't baseball guys, they're just making an effort to be there for their boys.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a FOUL ball....Here's why

Take any situation, line drive is hit off of the pitchers mound and the ball rolls foul. It is considered a foul ball. Why? Because it must touch a player in fair territory, or one of the official bags via 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or Home Plate and of course Home Plate declares the ball foul. The mound is not considered an official bag.

This is somewhat the same instance, because the ball did not come into contact with any player in fair territory, or 1st base where it was located. You may argue that the ball landed fair past the bag declaring it fair and in play. This is incorrect until the ball comes to a COMPLETE REST. The ball can not be spinning, moving, or any movement at all and officially be ruled fair or foul.

Also in the opposite situation the ball is in foul territory between 1st and home plate, is still spinning and comes back into fair territory on it's own accord and then comes to a complete stop. The ball is then declared fair. The only way it is declared foul is if it touches a player in foul territory, touches a part of the "dead ball" area that is declared before the game starts between coaches and umpires.

"A FAIR BALL is a batted ball that settles on fair ground between home and first base, or between home and third base, or that is on or over fair territory when bounding to the outfield past first or third base, or that touches first, second or third base, or that first falls on fair territory on or beyond first base or third base, or that, while on or over fair territory touches the person of an umpire or player, or that, while over fair territory, passes out of the playing field in flight. A fair fly shall be judged according to the relative position of the ball and the foul line, including the foul pole, and not as to whether the fielder is on fair or foul territory at the time he touches the ball. If a fly ball lands in the infield between home and first base, or home and third base, and then bounces to foul territory without touching a player or umpire and before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball; or if the ball settles on foul territory or is touched by a player on foul territory, it is a foul ball. If a fly ball lands on or beyond first or third base and then bounces to foul territory, it is a fair hit. Clubs, increasingly, are erecting tall foul poles at the fence line with a wire netting extending along the side of the pole on fair territory above the fence to enable the umpires more accurately to judge fair and foul balls."

That is from the MLB rulebook but it probably applies to HS. They key phrase is "A FAIR BALL is a batted ball that...first falls on fair territory on or beyond first base or third base," I believe.

A ball doesn't have to touch a player or bag in fair territory to be fair. Consider the case of a ball hit to the outfield that kicks up chalk and then bounds foul. It's a fair ball.

Edited by LCborn

In NFHS, a fair ball is defined in Rule 2-5-1:

A fair ball is a batted ball which:

a. settles on fair territory between home and third base or between home and first base; or

b. contacts fair ground on or beyond an imaginary line beween first and third base; or

c. is on or over fair ground when bounding to the outfield past first or third base; or

d. first falls on fair ground on or beyond first or third base; or

e. touches first, second or third base; or

f. while on or over fair territory, touches the person of an umpire or player, their clothing or equipment; or

g. while over fair ground passes out of the playing field in flight.

NOTE: A fly ball or line drive, which passes over or inside first or third base in flight and curves to foul ground beyond such base, is not a fair hit; but a hit which goes over or through the fence is a fair hit if it is over fair ground when it leaves the field.

why do you think it is a ground rule double?

Because it's a fair ball that bounced out of play without being touched by a fielder. From a rules perspective, it doesn't sound that different from a ball that bounds over the outfield fence. And three or four centuries ago when I played, I gave up a ground-rule double on a ball that hit third base and hopped into the stands. Like a lot of my pitches, it was hit pretty hard. :thumb:

Edited by LCborn

Because it's a fair ball that bounced out of play without being touched by a fielder. From a rules perspective, it doesn't sound that different from a ball that bounds over the outfield fence. And three or four centuries ago when I played, I gave up a ground-rule double on a ball that hit third base and hopped into the stands. Like a lot of my pitches, it was hit pretty hard. :thumb:

that would be a ground rule double

i think it just bounced into foul terriotry in front of first after it landed fair beyond the bag. now if it is a fair ball and bounces out of play the it is a ground rule double

SHS1 said it rolled into the dugout in the first post in the thread. That's why I'm thinking g-r double.