Powell vs. Oak Ridge

Guest PiMPiSH

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good school I think they run a west coast offense I believe that will suit him just fine. I wonder if any other locals are up there? :thumb:

They didn't sign anybody else from the Knoxville area this year, and I don't recall seeing any locals on their roster.

I know he set school records, but records don't win key games like Maryville and Central which Cody has never beaten when he was at QB. I'm just saying, but who could stop Powell if they had a QB with about the same throwing ability like Cody besides the refs, which they sorta did a couple of times in games against Maryville like not calling offsides on a key turnover, and not calling Cody down when he clearly was, but I'm not trying to say Maryville is only good because the refs can be bad when some teams play them. Getting back on topic, everyone knew what Cody was going to do on 3rd and 4th down. He was going to try to get it himself. Most of that was because I think he never really trusted his WRs besides Lee and Thrower, and even though he made some amazing plays like the ones in this video,

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=90...powell+football

but when it came down to one possession to win the game he tried to win it himself because he had little trust in some of his other players and everyone knew how to stop it.

If Roop was in there, there wouldn't be 8 in the box and 2 on Lee. Coaches would have a fit trying to stop 3 very good WRs, and a running game that still did very well, giving most of the credit to the line and the rest to a workhorse of a RB in Courtney, who got 1,00+ rushing yards last season, and very good RB in Huffaker.

I think this year will be better for Powell even though they lost one of the best athletes to go through East Tennesse in a couple of years. I think Lowe will settle for nothing less than perfect when it comes to his starters and will have more trust and teamwork between his players. All he needs to do is make sure the ones stepping up and starting next year know what they are doing, but I think their line will still be as good and their skill players will be better, all they need is experience. It will come down to the leadership of the team which should be better

since Cody and Lee left, and they weren't very good leaders at all.

Ok, first and foremost, I just want to say that these guys have graduated and talking about what they COULD have and SHOULD have done is not proving anything , can we please move forward. Hindsight is always 20/20. I certainly wish them well in their college careers.

Second of all, IMO, the best thing Powell football can do to help their "unfulfilling" plight (which is obviously why Cody and Lee are still being talked about), would be to stop spotlighting kids who they think or WANT to be the best ball players in town in the 5th and 6th grade and then continue telling them how great they are so that by the time they reach high school they actually believe that they are invincible and the top star athletes of the team. Personally I think this has been the case for a long time and at some point people need to recognize that this political strategy is crap and is a mind game. And also IMO, Brandon Thrower has stepped out of football and basketball for a lot of different reasons and that his injuries are evidence to the fact.

Third, maybe if these "stars" can quit fighting for the spotlight in high school or can stop feeling like they have to be in the spotlight, they can play and focus on better football. I certainly hate to break the news here, but there is A LOT more than just natural physical ability that goes into being a talented athelete. Afterall, the "homework" is important.

Last of all, I certainly believe that the 2006 panthers will be a COMPLETELY different team. These guys certainly aren't trying to see who can best mimic the behavior of the movie, JACK ###### and get away with it. Personally, from what I've seen and know even the top team better be on guard for this bunch. With the addition of Cruze at QB, Powell will have the talent. How it's utilized will be what is important.

Ok, first and foremost, I just want to say that these guys have graduated and talking about what they COULD have and SHOULD have done is not proving anything , can we please move forward. Hindsight is always 20/20. I certainly wish them well in their college careers.

Second of all, IMO, the best thing Powell football can do to help their "unfulfilling" plight (which is obviously why Cody and Lee are still being talked about), would be to stop spotlighting kids who they think or WANT to be the best ball players in town in the 5th and 6th grade and then continue telling them how great they are so that by the time they reach high school they actually believe that they are invincible and the top star athletes of the team. Personally I think this has been the case for a long time and at some point people need to recognize that this political strategy is crap and is a mind game. And also IMO, Brandon Thrower has stepped out of football and basketball for a lot of different reasons and that his injuries are evidence to the fact.

Third, maybe if these "stars" can quit fighting for the spotlight in high school or can stop feeling like they have to be in the spotlight, they can play and focus on better football. I certainly hate to break the news here, but there is A LOT more than just natural physical ability that goes into being a talented athelete. Afterall, the "homework" is important.

Last of all, I certainly believe that the 2006 panthers will be a COMPLETELY different team. These guys certainly aren't trying to see who can best mimic the behavior of the movie, JACK ###### and get away with it. Personally, from what I've seen and know even the top team better be on guard for this bunch. With the addition of Cruze at QB, Powell will have the talent. How it's utilized will be what is important.

There's really not much in your post to dissagree with, NTN. Powell has had a lot of talented players over the last two or three years, but this could be the best team over that time span, if some things fall in place.

On talking about the past year, remember that it is the off season. There's really not much new to talk about until mid July when the teams can officially begin pre-season practice.

From what I know here are the starters (these are the starters from the Oak Ridge scrimmage)

OFFENSE

QB - Matt Abba - 18 - Jr.

HB - Josh Huffaker - 22 - Sr.

FB - Jordan Lakin - 44 - Sr.

LT - Jordan Goodman - 74 - Jr.*

LG - Jared McGaha - 75 - Sr.

C - Ben Smith - 51 - Jr.

RG - John Bruhin - 67 - Sr.

RT - Chris Miller - 54 - Sr.

WR - Johnathan Thibodaux - 9 - Sr.

WR - Johnathan Price - 20 - Jr.

WR - Jordan Allen - 24 - Jr.

DEFENSE

DE - Jared McGaha - 75 - Sr.

NT - John Bruhin - 67 - Sr.

DE - Daniel Evans - 30 - Sr.

LB - Jordan Lakin - 44 - Sr.

LB - Jordan Allen - 24 - Jr.

LB - Randy Loope - 46 - Sr.

LB - Logan Mann - 34 - Jr.*

LB - Eric Barger - 37 - Jr.*

CB - Johnathan Price - 20 - Jr.

CB - Jarred Clemons - 2 - Jr.*

FS - Ben Butler - 27 - Sr.*

* - hasn't started a varsity game on offense or defense

I think this team will be good. This shows that this team is at all inexperienced. They just need to be tuned up and work together as a team. Out of these starters no one stands out as a player that is going to try to carry the team. This means that there will be more balance on offense and with Powell's defense shutting out Oak Ridge in the scrimmage you won't have to worry about the 4 players on defense who havent started a varsity game.