Best Heavyweight

cbg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right School, but since you didn't say that they had to Originally come from Tennessee.....

I say Scott Wells of Brentwood Academy.

Others:

Pez Whatley (Notre Dame)

Dee Parker (Red Bank)--I know, he's a Convicted Felon......

Daniel Crosby (Greeneville) is QUICKLY making his name for this Argument

I would have to say that Brugal and the Greenville kid don't belong in the same class of heavyweights as the ones we speak of. The Greenville kid is good but not in the same league, and Brugal doesn't know much wrestling, he just muscles his way around and that is not wrestling. My list of best heavyweights would certainly include none other than Shazon Bradley. What an athlete and a wrestler.

Craig Long of McCallie is clearly the best 275 to have never won the state-why-Bubba Miller. Bubba beat Long 4 of 7 meetings, the last 3 losses coming at the state tourney. Yet after saying all this, Ray Dalton says that Scott was much better than Bubba, this when Scott was only a Jr. It must also be noted that Scott was ranked #1 in the country his Sr. year. What other wrestler from Tn. has had that distinction. Which brings up a valid point, already alluded to, do you count Scott in the mix since he transferrd from Pa after his soph year?

Karelin,

Would it not have been a great match between Bubba Miller and Scott Wells. Miller the great athlete against Wells a good athlete but a great wrestler.

How did BA recruit Wells from PA? You know how everyone on this board thinks that all private schools get on their Lear Jets and fly all over the world to get athletes!!!!!!!!!

In response to your statement about Scott Wells being the only #1 ranked kid from Tennessee would certainly be a mistake. Wells carried the #1 ranking for a short period of time at the beginning of his senior season. Then he was later dropped to 3rd at best. I think this was because he quit competing in the national tournaments. On the other hand a true Tennessee kid named Phillip Simpson carried a #1 ranking by Amateur Wrestling News at 125 lbs the first half of the season. He was later moved to the 135 lb weight class in which he was competing in. He was then dropped to a #2 ranking if my memory serves me right. He finished Runner-Up in the senior nationals to a kid from California who dropped a weight class to compete at 135 lbs. Phillip, I believe finished ranked in the top 2 of most polls and was ranked #1 at the end of last year by NHSCA. Not bad for a true Tennessee kid. It will be interesting to see where they rank Matt Keller from Bradley. He is in the same league as Phillip Simpson. I have watched these polls with interest over the last couple of years, and I don't think that the ranking people have given Matt Keller his due which is a shame.

I think the best heavy weight was Scot Wells. He wrestled like a light weight and was able to shoot on his opponents. I also liked Bubba Miller. But Bubba did not have the wrestling experience that Scott Wells had. Although they were the two best this state has ever seen, and probably the best offensive centers UT has ever had.