Rockwood vs. Unaka

classof88

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey goosevol, very good post. You're a real sport. Sorry I got lost in the frenzy after the game, and missed meeting you.

Incidentally, the shortstop you mentioned, Brittany Taylor, signed Friday Morning to play for Walters State; and the Unaka catcher, Megan Heaton, signed with King College. Megan had held out, with other offers. She's one happy camper. With graduation at 7:00, quite a busy day for the Unaka Seniors.

Ryann Musick has actually been clocked at sixty; but she throws so much "stuff" that her fastball is often underappreciated. Friday, we saw her at her worst - an unheard of Five Walks early on - and then, vintage Ryann Musick, as her changeup, riser, screwball, etc., Finally began to find the strike zone.

And, you were absolutely right about Rockwood's team speed. Even the routine plays were often very close at first. I cringe at the thought of what might have happened if the Lady Tigers had scored just one more run while Ryann struggled early on. **And not to criticize, but do you know if the coach had the Double Steal on when the runner got thrown out at third? It seemed to give Unaka life, and maybe stall a possible Big Inning for Rockwood.

The final score is NOT indicative of the quality of competition the Lady Tigers brought to Stoney Creek.

And, if you didn't already know, the fifth inning blast by Kristy Moffitt was her first . . . .EVER, or at least in high school. A few things went Unaka's way, after a rough start.

Great game and some great d. I don't think I have ever seen Musick walk that many. Just wondering if the umpire was a little tight on the strike zone. 00 is awesome and so is the catcher. In fact the whole team is playing well. They might put on a show at the state tournament.

It wasn't a double steal in the second. The ball hit the dirt and the girl broke and then froze. She then took off again, but by then it was too late.

I really felt Rockwood should have scored three runs in the first two innings. When they had second and third in the first inning with one out I would have squeezed. The runner at third can fly and would've scored on any throw to first. If you don't make the throw to first then you have bases loaded with one out and the No. 5 hitter up, who walked, but I think Rockwood should have got a run there.

I don't want anyone to think I'm second guessing, I just like bunting in softball and getting a run against a good pitcher early. I can see why you don't bunt there too because Mitchell is your No. 4 hitter and you figure she could also hit a grounder somewhere to bring in the run.

In the second inning they had first and second with no outs and got only one run because of the base running mistake. If she doesn't make that mistake, two runs score on Smith's double and you have a runner on second with one out instead of two. You could possibly score again after that.

Rockwood blew their chance at winning by not scoring more in the first two innings. After that Musick threw strikes and the Rockwood hitters were so out of sync that they couldn't drive anything.

Unaka, on the other hand, made the most of their scoring chances. They left only two runners on all night. Rockwood left more than that on in the first inning. That's how you win.

The bottom line is two good teams played, one made the plays to win and the other didn't.

Edited by goosevol

Thanks again, goosevol. I discussed that play with WriteStuff today in Erwin and he reminded me that it was a passed ball. The ball stopped, or Megan stopped it, just behind the plate, which is probably what temporarily froze the runner. A Huge play, and great throw by Heaton.

And I don't see any of your statements as excuse making. Rockwood is a very good team. There were a few plays, made or not made, that determined the winner.

However, the most remarkable thing is that, of twenty-six batters, and Rockwood is, no doubt, a good hitting team - - - but, with Ryann Musick struggling, she still throws a One-Hitter. Pretty remarkable.