Knox Halls

The good news for Halls is no one rates them. That in itself is a huge advantage. Most people expect 5-5 maybe 6-4 with a consensus pick at #5 in 3-4A. A bubble team looking on the outside of the playoff picture.

If we look a little closer Julian blended youth into the squad last year and with great success. Game night will always seperate the contenders from the pretenders and sometimes youthful enthuaism wins out over experience. He will have to pull a few more rabbits out of the hat but in reality he has some quality personel to work with. As a Halls fan I see upsets in the making. Perhaps not Maryville but everyone else is fair game. Thats why you play the game and with nothing really to lose this youthful squad could have a exciting year.

I agree with Drega with 4 teams fighting for three remaining playoff spots I see this going to be a long season. As always 3-4A is the district champions are made of. :o

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I would like to see us return to the playoffs again this year, I am afraid we won't make it. We lost a ton of seniors from last year's team including the entire defense. This year we will be down, but next year, watch out we will kick some butt and have a chance to win the region.

As if some of you don't remember, we were the last region team to beat the Rebels from Maryville, and we will be the next one to do so. Just don't think it will be this year.

Surprise,surprise Halls in a passing scrimmage with a solid Catholic team and a youthful Rockwood team yesterday. The #1 offense did very well which really surprised me for a predominantly running team. I know you have to take these scrimmages for what they are but the talent was there and everyone can see Halls have some strong weapons to use if they resort to passing the ball more this year. I think the coaches must have guessed the ability was there to be involved in this scrimmage. We just didn't look out of place at all.

Kevin Julian was his old self at times and any missed assignments had him very animated which just shows the passion he brings to the game and his desire to make his young players learn and improve. I hope some of his assistants can also show some of this Trooper Taylor type attitude.

Halls & Catholic looked solid. Rockwood was average with some good plays but a lot of dropped balls dogged them a lot.

Halls linebacking corp had some excellent picks and covered for the most part very well. Speed isn't the issue this year. Strength and experience is the question mark.

On offense Cooper threw strongly and accurately and mixed up his passes. Backup Turner started slow but gained confidence toward the end. Against a strong defensive Catholic LB & DB squad Cooper was the most effective and he found Dayton in space most of the evening for good yardage. Looks like the staff have moved Brandon Johnson to wideout from being in the QB mix. He looks good and like Turner started slow but came on strong.

One note from last night Catholic's Harrison Smith looks every bit the player and should have a great senior year. :lol:

As much as I would like to see us return to the playoffs again this year, I am afraid we won't make it. We lost a ton of seniors from last year's team including the entire defense. This year we will be down, but next year, watch out we will kick some butt and have a chance to win the region.

As if some of you don't remember, we were the last region team to beat the Rebels from Maryville, and we will be the next one to do so. Just don't think it will be this year.

I agree with Reddevil without any experience on defense Halls will be put to the test. They may have a big play receiver and a good offense. But the defense is what most playoff teams are made of. Solid D line, linebackers and D backs are what Maryville, Central and Powell all have. Then most people think West have a good team this year so the Red Devil's could be in for a tough season. Halls will play hard but will have to much to overcome this year. :lol: Sorry Z-car #5 is about right in this district this year. My playoff picks #1 Maryville #2 Powell #3 West #4 Central.

Hey ZCAR,

Does Halls have any "good hands" recievers that can make the big catch for 8-10 yards. I know Dayton can go deep and loves the sideline but I don't remember him going across the middle much. If he can add that to his game, he will play a bigger role I think. He is not going to surprise anybody this year. They will be laying off of him so he will have to catch some short ones to draw them up.

I know the coaches are high on Cooper's throwing ability and would like to use it. I just don't know if they can protect him and if we have the receivers that get open consistently.

Hey Fairplay sorry I missed this post.

I went to the Halls/Catholic/Rockwood passing scrimmage the other night and I'm still not sure who will step up as the inside man. TE Noe(Junior) could be or newly converted WR Johnson(soph) seem to be the likely candidates. Dayton did a lot of crossing patterns inside that scrimmage trying to match up his speed against the linebackers. I agree he will be have to step up to take on some of Boruff's workload from last year in that area.

Cooper was throwing very well and there is no doubt when he has time he looked very comfitable hitting his targets. Like I said before No contact, no rushing the QB and no helmet & pads so its still way to early to get too excited. But judging how they looked against these other teams they grabed my attention. I still think we have the talent to get open it will come down to our offensive line protection. If we have that then we will be tough to stop. I remain cautiously optimistic and really believe a playoff spot is ours if we want it bad enough. :D

Edited by ZCAR

Hey Fairplay sorry I missed this post.

I went to the Halls/Catholic/Rockwood passing scrimmage the other night and I'm still not sure who will step up as the inside man. TE Noe(Junior) could be or newly converted WR Johnson(soph) seem to be the likely candidates. Dayton did a lot of crossing patterns inside that scrimmage trying to match up his speed against the linebackers. I agree he will be have to step up to take on some of Boruff's workload from last year in that area.

Cooper was throwing very well and there is no doubt when he has time he looked very comfitable hitting his targets. Like I said before No contact, no rushing the QB and no helmet & pads so its still way to early to get too excited. But judging how they looked against these other teams they grabed my attention. I still think we have the talent to get open it will come down to our offensive line protection. If we have that then we will be tough to stop. I remain cautiously optimistic and really believe a playoff spot is ours if we want it bad enough. :lol:

ZCAR,

Thanks for the info. I hope Dayton will go across the middle when the pads are on.

Well people seem to be taking a little notice of our team this year. Food City's Knoxville area High Schools Kick-Off 2006 rates Logan O'Conner as the best punter and Kicker in the KFL. Daniel Dayton rates as the #4 receiver behind #1 Anthony Anderson, #2 Harrison Smith & #3 Ken Easterly. They noted Halls has talent upfront on OL but may have to rely on Logan untill our offense gains experience.

Also of note it said West could light up the scoreboard this year with Easterly being someone special. South Doyle will have the most experience it has had in some time. Central will be a little undersized and will miss Zach Helton but the defense will be good with Owens & Blair. Powell should dominate on both sides of the line with McGaha & Bruhin.

First one up is Dobyns Bennett this friday nite at their house in Kingsport.

I do know we scrimmage Catholic & Rockwood again full pads this time instead of the earlier Passing scrimmage.

Carter wil be another test for us as they really improved last year. It was played like a regular season game last year at their place.