Hit in the head?

FridayMainEvent

I read in the paper today where one of the pitchers in the allstar game got hit in the head. Is she doing okay?

I have couple of daughters taking lessons now and that is my biggest fear. The distance from the plate to the end of a girls stride is so small it's scary. They are both just starting out and we are emphasizing that they open fully and be closed to about 45 degrees at release. Am I instructing correctly or should they close up more in order to get in a better fielding position?

I read in the paper today where one of the pitchers in the allstar game got hit in the head. Is she doing okay?

I have couple of daughters taking lessons now and that is my biggest fear. The distance from the plate to the end of a girls stride is so small it's scary. They are both just starting out and we are emphasizing that they open fully and be closed to about 45 degrees at release. Am I instructing correctly or should they close up more in order to get in a better fielding position?

Let me suggest, especially if your daughters are just starting out, that you purchase them a "Game Face". Make them practice with it and always wear it in games. One of the pitchers on my daughter's travel ball team was hit with a line drive square between the eyes during our local league softball and was sent to Vandy with multiple skull fractures. I can only imagine how bad it could have been if it had been hit by a travel ball player. It's not worth the risk when there is equipment available to help avoid alot of these injuries.

As far as how your daughters finish their pitch, I had a pitching instructor tell me once that it doesn't necessarily matter how much they do or don't close ...what really matters is if they have their balance enough to defend themselves from a ball that's coming right back down their throat. Wise words from a wise man.

I didn't mean to imply that they were just starting out as players, only as pitchers. They have both played several years of both travel and league ball. I'm comfortable with reaction time since both are excellent ball players. My concern was getting them into the proper fielding position so they are ready for the occasional line drive back at them. I do agree with the statement you made concerning balance. I think that is critical to both making an accurate throw and being ready for a ball hit back at you.

I'm comfortable with reaction time since both are excellent ball players. My concern was getting them into the proper fielding position so they are ready for the occasional line drive back at them. I do agree with the statement you made concerning balance. I think that is critical to both making an accurate throw and being ready for a ball hit back at you.

[/quote

There is no way to be totally prepared for some of the line drives the 16 and over girls hit. Good balance is very important but make sure their glove is chest to shoulder high when they release the ball and hope that their hand quickness is good enough to keep from getting hit in the head area. You can be the best athlete in the world and still not be able to defend yourself completely. If they pitch long enough they're going to get hit at some point. Just hope it's not in the head area. Good luck to your girls.

Edited by sbt