Covington at Brighton

CHSGRAD99

Once again the Chargers defeated the Cardinals last night, but with a less than stellar effort. Brighton seemed to have outplayed the Chargers all night long. As it has been in the past, turnovers were the Cardinals undoing. Covington went ahead with the first score of the game in the second half, and added another a little while later to take a 12-0 lead. The Cardinals made a huge 4th qt surge by spreading the ball around with a passing game that seemed to have been the way to go all evening. They scored late in the fourth, and after an onside kick failed held the Chargers to regain possesion. Brighton had to drive 80 yards in 40 seconds, but came up short for a final of Covington 12 Brighton 7. If Covington is supposed to be a top 5 team in AAA, they sure did not show it what so ever last night. Brighton exposed holes in the Covington D as well as shut down the Chargers running game. If the Chargers hope to contend for a region title this year, they have to shore up their secondary as well as find a reciever or two to hang on to catchable passes. While the wing has served the Chargers well in the past, it seems to this observer that it might be time to mix it up a little more on offense. Don't get me wrong, a win is a win, but everyone who saw the game last night knows that that was not the best effort our Chargers have put forth. Congrats on the big county win, and good luck next week with a talented Haywood team. I hope you guys bounce back strong.

Once again the Chargers defeated the Cardinals last night, but with a less than stellar effort. Brighton seemed to have outplayed the Chargers all night long. As it has been in the past, turnovers were the Cardinals undoing. Covington went ahead with the first score of the game in the second half, and added another a little while later to take a 12-0 lead. The Cardinals made a huge 4th qt surge by spreading the ball around with a passing game that seemed to have been the way to go all evening. They scored late in the fourth, and after an onside kick failed held the Chargers to regain possesion. Brighton had to drive 80 yards in 40 seconds, but came up short for a final of Covington 12 Brighton 7. If Covington is supposed to be a top 5 team in AAA, they sure did not show it what so ever last night. Brighton exposed holes in the Covington D as well as shut down the Chargers running game. If the Chargers hope to contend for a region title this year, they have to shore up their secondary as well as find a reciever or two to hang on to catchable passes. While the wing has served the Chargers well in the past, it seems to this observer that it might be time to mix it up a little more on offense. Don't get me wrong, a win is a win, but everyone who saw the game last night knows that that was not the best effort our Chargers have put forth. Congrats on the big county win, and good luck next week with a talented Haywood team. I hope you guys bounce back strong.

Well,I guess one good thing for the Chargers...There are no "passing" teams in region 7-3A...