Rankings Week 7

mjuhb

Does ND tying an unranked A/AA team in thier region impact their standing?

Just an off night or does #2 in A/AA move up, all other things being equal?

Just wondering and congrats again to Hixson, must have played a heck of a game!

Kudos to Hixson, but I think ND should stay right where they are......for now!!?? Kinda like boxing...you have to win to knock off number 1! But everything starts for real on Oct 16...all this other stuff is just warm up! :thumb:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the shot count? Did Hixson pull a "bunker defense"? Either way, sounds like Hixson had a game plan and pulled it off. I think, though, that Notre Dame will bounce back. Good that this happened in regular season and not in the play offs (from Notre Dames' perspective, that is).

Yeah Hixson was heavy on the defense. They were playing 6 in the back! Our forwards couldnt get thru the line. Most of our shots had to be taken from midfield.

Yeah Hixson was heavy on the defense. They were playing 6 in the back! Our forwards couldnt get thru the line. Most of our shots had to be taken from midfield.

That is VERY frustrating! Elizabethton did that to us last season. I think we had 40+ shots, but nothing ever got through since they had 6 or 7 back at all times. We ended up sneaking one in when they pressed out with 30 seconds left.

There is a word for that style of game (Hoya knows it... something in italian). Did you play on a small field? When we played Elizabethton again on our field (about 120 by 75) they got stretched out too much for it to work. Much different result.

At least you got to see that kind of defense before the playoffs. Hopefully your coach can help you on combatting that style.

That is VERY frustrating! Elizabethton did that to us last season. I think we had 40+ shots, but nothing ever got through since they had 6 or 7 back at all times. We ended up sneaking one in when they pressed out with 30 seconds left.

There is a word for that style of game (Hoya knows it... something in italian). Did you play on a small field? When we played Elizabethton again on our field (about 120 by 75) they got stretched out too much for it to work. Much different result.

At least you got to see that kind of defense before the playoffs. Hopefully your coach can help you on combatting that style.

FRA had agame like you describe earlier in a district game. The game was called at half due to weather, but the coach packed all the players on one side of the half line and basicaly forbid anyone to cross midfield. It didn't work FRA won 2-0 but it was pretty frustrating....I think for both teams of ladies!!! :thumb:

Catenaccio is the name for the defensive strategy, I think. Not a bad philosophy when you have a weaker or less athletic team. You need a strong forward to really take advantage of this style of play or you will be defending the whole time. I am not a fan of the system, but I have used it once or twice.

The best way to attack this system is moving the ball from sideline to sideline catching the defense shifting. That is the only way to open up gaps in the danger zones.

Edited by Soccer Gypsy

St. Agnes 2, Collierville 1

Physical game, but only two refs! What were they thinking?!! Two refs were not enough for the speed and physical style for this game. Collierville again scored a goal for their oppenent in the last minute of the game and this time it cost them the game. Collierville scored first in the second half and let down afterwards allowing St. Agnes to score to tie it up. Collierville gave St. Agnes all they could handle and more. Good preparation for the district tournament for both teams.

Thought more comments would have come out of this game, so I have waited to reply. Read the commercial appeal October 4, 2006, and see that the box scores, which were submitted by the Collierville team, indicated the 2nd goal was scored by Molly Kinsella. No assists were noted and if SAA had submitted, Laura Bosi would have been included. It states "own goal" if you score for the other team. Yes, there were Collierville players in the net and it may have hit one or two or three, but Molly's extra efforts were rewarded with her getting the ball in for the score. It was a very tough game and while I don't see Collierville play often , I would bet they played at the top of their ability as did SAA. Both teams were incrediable. I sat with a U of TN coach scouting the game and he said it was one of the best high school games he has seen. SAA, did not come out as quick and smooth as they are capable of as I feel they were anxious at playing for, if you will, the Memphis/Shelby county championship. As for 2 refs, I guess there were scheduled by Collierville as it was there home field. SAA, always has 3 for games of this magnitude. I can only assume, 3 would have been to SAA's advantage as two of the worst calls of the game were a foul in the box by Collierville that was would have resulted in a PK being moved 6 feet out for an Indirect kick. The 2nd was the foul that resulted in Collierville's only goal. Lastly, off-sides were ramput....sometimes called to quick, sometimes not at all. This is where two linesmen might have really made a difference. Sadly, the Collierville fans struck up a chant of "over-rated" as a resentment of the national ranking of SAA. I think I'd rather lose to the 8th ranked team in the NSCAA poll than a team not ranked. After 20 straight victories since August and not being scored upon, Collierville has the honor to be the first team to break that record. Yes, the game could have gone either way, but how many times has one team dominated a half to only end up down 1. That's soccer and it is what it is.... SAA 2 - Collierville 1. It's all about the W. May there be several more for both teams between now and November 5.

What was the shot count? Did Hixson pull a "bunker defense"? Either way, sounds like Hixson had a game plan and pulled it off. I think, though, that Notre Dame will bounce back. Good that this happened in regular season and not in the play offs (from Notre Dames' perspective, that is).

there was a foul at the top of the box and one of hixsons players took the kick. scored in the far upper 90. awesome shot.

Thought more comments would have come out of this game, so I have waited to reply. Read the commercial appeal October 4, 2006, and see that the box scores, which were submitted by the Collierville team, indicated the 2nd goal was scored by Molly Kinsella. No assists were noted and if SAA had submitted, Laura Bosi would have been included. It states "own goal" if you score for the other team. Yes, there were Collierville players in the net and it may have hit one or two or three, but Molly's extra efforts were rewarded with her getting the ball in for the score. It was a very tough game and while I don't see Collierville play often , I would bet they played at the top of their ability as did SAA. Both teams were incrediable. I sat with a U of TN coach scouting the game and he said it was one of the best high school games he has seen. SAA, did not come out as quick and smooth as they are capable of as I feel they were anxious at playing for, if you will, the Memphis/Shelby county championship. As for 2 refs, I guess there were scheduled by Collierville as it was there home field. SAA, always has 3 for games of this magnitude. I can only assume, 3 would have been to SAA's advantage as two of the worst calls of the game were a foul in the box by Collierville that was would have resulted in a PK being moved 6 feet out for an Indirect kick. The 2nd was the foul that resulted in Collierville's only goal. Lastly, off-sides were ramput....sometimes called to quick, sometimes not at all. This is where two linesmen might have really made a difference. Sadly, the Collierville fans struck up a chant of "over-rated" as a resentment of the national ranking of SAA. I think I'd rather lose to the 8th ranked team in the NSCAA poll than a team not ranked. After 20 straight victories since August and not being scored upon, Collierville has the honor to be the first team to break that record. Yes, the game could have gone either way, but how many times has one team dominated a half to only end up down 1. That's soccer and it is what it is.... SAA 2 - Collierville 1. It's all about the W. May there be several more for both teams between now and November 5.

I happen to believe that SAA wasn't anxious, but was a bit cocky and did not expect Collierville to give them the kind of game it turned out to be. This game was as intense as the Collierville-Houston game last week where Collierville probably played a bit better. Had Collierville not gone into a "prevent defense" after scoring the first goal and kept attacking, the outcome may have been different. SAA was not expecting to be scored on and they were looking winded and at times quite frustrated. Collierville didn't take advantage of this.

Molly Kinsella is credited for the great effort put forth on that second goal. In fact, she worked hard all night. I wasn't trying to take anything away from her. However, in spite of what the box score reported, the ball did deflect off a Collierville defender into the net. You apparently didn't see her anguish after the ball went in off her foot.

Now, I purposely avoided stating anything about some of the poor calls that were made against/for both teams. I believe a team has to play above poor calls and each team missed opportunities score, especially SAA. However, since you bring it up, the stand side ref missed the fact SAA was clearly offsides when their last score was made. He was not close to being even with the last defender. But, since you only pointed out the calls you believe were in Collierville's favor, I doubt you will agree. A team with SAA's speed can take advantage of a 2 man crew and did. A 3 man crew would have been better for Collierville. Learned that Collierville did not schedule the refs. It is done through someone who assigns refs. Collierville didn't know there would only be 2 refs until game time.

Lets clarify. There were no chants of "over-rated" coming from the adult fans that were present. If it came from the HS students it sure wasn't very loud. And then, what can you expect? They're students and SAA students aren't exempt from such actions either. There are no "sour grapes" and there is no resentment towards the national ranking. Collierville was nationally ranked last year and they know how it feels.

Personally, I rather not lose, whether the team is nationally ranked or not. Because as you've stated, what matters is the "W." There's no telling how far each team will advance. Collierville has been unable to win a "big" game, but still has time to peak. At this point, there is probably more pressure on SAA to win a state championship than for Collierville to repeat as state champions.

I happen to believe that SAA wasn't anxious, but was a bit cocky and did not expect Collierville to give them the kind of game it turned out to be. This game was as intense as the Collierville-Houston game last week where Collierville probably played a bit better. Had Collierville not gone into a "prevent defense" after scoring the first goal and kept attacking, the outcome may have been different. SAA was not expecting to be scored on and they were looking winded and at times quite frustrated. Collierville didn't take advantage of this.

Molly Kinsella is credited for the great effort put forth on that second goal. In fact, she worked hard all night. I wasn't trying to take anything away from her. However, in spite of what the box score reported, the ball did deflect off a Collierville defender into the net. You apparently didn't see her anguish after the ball went in off her foot.

Now, I purposely avoided stating anything about some of the poor calls that were made against/for both teams. I believe a team has to play above poor calls and each team missed opportunities score, especially SAA. However, since you bring it up, the stand side ref missed the fact SAA was clearly offsides when their last score was made. He was not close to being even with the last defender. But, since you only pointed out the calls you believe were in Collierville's favor, I doubt you will agree. A team with SAA's speed can take advantage of a 2 man crew and did. A 3 man crew would have been better for Collierville. Learned that Collierville did not schedule the refs. It is done through someone who assigns refs. Collierville didn't know there would only be 2 refs until game time.

Lets clarify. There were no chants of "over-rated" coming from the adult fans that were present. If it came from the HS students it sure wasn't very loud. And then, what can you expect? They're students and SAA students aren't exempt from such actions either. There are no "sour grapes" and there is no resentment towards the national ranking. Collierville was nationally ranked last year and they know how it feels.

Personally, I rather not lose, whether the team is nationally ranked or not. Because as you've stated, what matters is the "W." There's no telling how far each team will advance. Collierville has been unable to win a "big" game, but still has time to peak. At this point, there is probably more pressure on SAA to win a state championship than for Collierville to repeat as state champions.

I had decided not to respond as well, but since the officiating was brought into play I will.

It is true that "most" schools in the Memphis area use a referee assignor. ( done to prevent preceptions that occur like the one mentioned) I am certain that Collierville would have preferred that there be three refs there as well.

I agree that teams need to rise up against bad calls. Officials should not be able to keep a truely better team from winning. And they didn't in the SAA-Collierville match. There are always going to be calls with which players, parents and students disagree. There were several that I did see the same way as others did. However, I was standing next to an official who does nothing but college and PDL matches. He has never had a child attend either school that played. He had no dog in the hunt. He made several observations. That the run of the play was very fast paced and physical and that three refs would have been better. That there was NO foul in the box ( as indicated by another reply) that there was just physical play. The fact that a player falls down does not indicate a foul in and of itself. That the last player to score was clearly offsides and was simply a missed call by the referee. ( "it happens" he said)

Lastly, the comment that if the game had been at SAA an assist would have been given to a player for the last goal scored. It would have bee wrong. The player did not score because of the original pass. That shot was blocked and play went on. It was only because of the extra effort by the scoring player that the goal was made. ( a great effort and a good goal) The original passing player had nothing to do with it. ( a good way to pad statistics, by wrong nevertheless)

SAA is a good team. They worked hard and came back from being scored on. They certainly deserved to win. I hope they go all the way and win their first state championship. Again, many good kids as well as good parents.

I had decided not to respond as well, but since the officiating was brought into play I will.

It is true that "most" schools in the Memphis area use a referee assignor. ( done to prevent preceptions that occur like the one mentioned) I am certain that Collierville would have preferred that there be three refs there as well.

I agree that teams need to rise up against bad calls. Officials should not be able to keep a truely better team from winning. And they didn't in the SAA-Collierville match. There are always going to be calls with which players, parents and students disagree. There were several that I did see the same way as others did. However, I was standing next to an official who does nothing but college and PDL matches. He has never had a child attend either school that played. He had no dog in the hunt. He made several observations. That the run of the play was very fast paced and physical and that three refs would have been better. That there was NO foul in the box ( as indicated by another reply) that there was just physical play. The fact that a player falls down does not indicate a foul in and of itself. That the last player to score was clearly offsides and was simply a missed call by the referee. ( "it happens" he said)

Lastly, the comment that if the game had been at SAA an assist would have been given to a player for the last goal scored. It would have bee wrong. The player did not score because of the original pass. That shot was blocked and play went on. It was only because of the extra effort by the scoring player that the goal was made. ( a great effort and a good goal) The original passing player had nothing to do with it. ( a good way to pad statistics, by wrong nevertheless)

SAA is a good team. They worked hard and came back from being scored on. They certainly deserved to win. I hope they go all the way and win their first state championship. Again, many good kids as well as good parents.

Glad to see you back SoccerDad2. I will not continue beyond this reply, so you can "argue" all you wish, but this is my final comment. I did not say if the game were played at SAA an assist would be credited and I did not say on the 2nd goal. Sometimes you guys get so quick to attack, you miss the point. I said the newspaper info was reported by Collierville and had SAA reported the FIRST goal it would have been reported with an assist. NO BIG DEAL. Why say someone would run up stats, just another putdown....Where does that bring the level of the game. It just shows soccer parents resentment. The foul in the box, if she just feel down resulted in an Indirect Kick. We need to fall down more often if the ref rewards a fall that way. My point was that he moved the ball 8 to 10 feet back from where it happened.

BUT for both of you ardent observerors (Mr. VicFerarri as well) the game was professionally video taped and a real record does exist. Not our thoughts on how it happened, but a true replay. So with that, everyone can type there "observations" and live with the results. Best of luck to Collierville and Houston as we move to Nov.