District 8AA

timbdp

Well this year will be a very competitive year for all the teams. Everyone has a good team. I have seen all but DCA play this summer and all of them have shown a lot of work. DCA always keeps a pretty good team, granted they lost a lot of people I think they will still fight to the end to get back to where they were last year. White House returns with everyone, but i have been hearing that there are some problems going on up there, but still with a lot of experience they could go far if they set their minds to it. Portland has gained a lot of experience do to injuries last year and it has only helped improve the skill. Godpasture lost good players, but still have good players in their starting line-up, they have a post that can shoot from anywhere. Greenbrier lost a big part of their team and will have many struggles throughout the year but I think they will hold their own and fight for what they want. Station Camp has always shown their out to win, they have some deadly under classmen that could take them a long way, I am not for sure if this will be their year but when it comes time for their sophomores to be seniors i think they will be up at the top. This District is going to be a very tough one and there will be a lot of great games to watch. I think that there will be a coin flip to see who is first and second. I think it will be very close. There could even be a coin flip for third and fourth. :thumb:

Where did you see Greenbrier play this summer?

Edited by 5-Sport Dad

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where ya at, centerkeep? Cat :ph34r: got your tongue? You haven't really seen us play, have ya? All that yappin' and 'everybody's gonna be good,' huh? :(<_<

ahhh..... someones impatient eh... well you actually are right i forgot about that but you know i have heard about some stuff. you are losing your two twins do to year round volleyball, and lost your best player last year. now dont get me wrong, i think anyone can compete in our District it is very strong. I am proud to be able to say i watch this District very carefully. there are upsets everyday definetly in womens basketball. but with the odds that is just one mans opinion. but you can always go back to smitty's remarks cuz they are so very true

Asleep. Oh, this is going to be fun. Another play-expert with an opinion based on 'hearing some stuff.' That's what I thought.

And if you waited on me to respond till 4:37 AM...well, I'm gonna be nice and not go there.

i would never i was just up then and noticed no comment. but that is from a grandparent on the team so i think i would tend to believe them

• 3 weeks later...

After about 2 weeks of basketball, I was just wondering how everyone felt about this district and their thoughts coming in. I still stand by my predictions at the beginning of this post, but there are a few surprises and other tidbits to be noted.

White House has struggled early on, and a great deal of that can be contributed to Edgar's injury which has kept her sidelined so far. When she returns, their lineup will receive a great boost, though the struggles in Blue Devil country seem like they are deeper than just an injury to a key player. Any thoughts or info?

Portland is my surprise team early this season, though Station Camp has also been a pleasant surprise. Portland has not shot the ball well at all this season and yet have found ways to put 50+ points on the board. If they get their shots going, they could take this district by storm. Station Camp also seems to have a legitimate shot this year. If they get hot, they are unbelievable. New coach has inserted some very good set pieces that get them quick and easy looks at the basket.

Not sure if I want to update my predictions just yet, but I feel over the next two weeks, we will have some major shifting.

This district should be solid from top to bottom, and I would be surprised if any of these teams made it through district play without a loss.

Greenbrier lost their big guns, but will most likely return in that 2-3 zone that, if they catch you on an off night, anything is possible. Probably the weakest team in the district, but not a guaraunteed W by any means. Weakness will be putting the ball in the net, as they lost their top scorer from a team that didnt't score much to begin with.

My way too early prediction:

1)White House - experience matters

2)DCA - tradition matters

3)Portland - if they shoot well, they could take it

4)Station Camp - they will shoot well, but not much else

5)Goodpasture - the odd team out in a district where the top 5 could finish anywhere

6)Greenbrier - district too tough for young team

These are just my quick thoughts, and I obviously I shorthanded through the teams, but would be glad to get into as much detail as I can about any of the teams. Should be an exciting district race and the season can not start soon enough!

After about 2 weeks of basketball, I was just wondering how everyone felt about this district and their thoughts coming in. I still stand by my predictions at the beginning of this post, but there are a few surprises and other tidbits to be noted.

Not sure if I want to update my predictions just yet, but I feel over the next two weeks, we will have some major shifting.

I know you're not talking so much about us, but as much as I hate to say it, I think you're probably right on. Greenbrier's upperclassmen just don't have any heart and they're la-zeee! Our transfer is the lone bright spot and it's terrible that we have to rely so much on her. We have a new head coach and I'm sure there's pressure to play the upperclassmen (we've all heard it sitting in the stands from parents that don't have a clue: "What do these new kids - freshmen and a transfer - think coming in here and playing over my precious daughter(s) who've 'paid their dues?'"). In my opinion, each player needs to decide at each practice and each game whether they're willing to make the sacrifices to play the game respectably. From what I've seen, the work ethic isn't there. Unless some changes and demands are made, we'll be lucky to win 5 games this year. Harpeth 'played with us' last night. They were in shape, have basketball IQ's and play full-court offense AND defense...almost like guys, except they're WAY prettier :thumb: . The bad thing is, we get them again in a couple of weeks. Lord, we'd better get in shape or it's gonna be a long and frustrating year. Our team is not terrible. It's just that some of the players don't 'choose' to play hard and that's a shame.

THE TEAMS ALL SEEM EVENLY MATCHED, AS EACH HAS ONE OR TWO STRONG, KEY PLAYERS. IN REGARDS TO WHITE HOUSE, GREENWADE AND ROBERSON NOT ONLY HAVE TO BE CONSISTENT, THEY HAVE TO HAVE EDGAR ON THE FLOOR AS WELL. TWO YEARS AGO, WHEN EDGAR DID NOT PLAY THEY WENT 1-24. LAST YEAR THEY WERE 20-9. THIS WEEKEND'S TOURNEY EDGAR PLAYED LESS THAN 2 QUARTERS AND HAD ALMOST HALF THE POINTS. THE GAME WAS A BLOW OUT UNTIL THEY GOT EDGAR IN. SHE IS VITAL TO THEIR TEAM WITH HER DEFENSE. ON OFFENSE, SHE IS USUALLY DOUBLE TEAMED, WHICH IS GREAT FOR ALLOWING GREENWADE TO SCORE. THEY WORK WELL TOGETHER. WHITE HOUSE HAS TO FIX THEIR POINT GUARD POSITIONS, AS ROBERSON CAN'T DO IT BY HERSELF ALL YEAR. WHEN YOU HAVE TO HAVE YOUR 6'3 PLAYER BRING THE BALL DOWN, THERE IS A PROBLEM. I KNOW THE COACH FOR WHITE HOUSE AND I BELEIVE HE IS DOING HIS BEST TO WORK THIS OUT. I HEAR EDGAR IS ALSO PLAYING WITH 2 INJURED DISC. HOPE SHE CAN STAY HEALTHY ENOUGH TO PLAY ALL SEASON. GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE GIRLS THIS YEAR!

Edited by becera

I know you're not talking so much about us, but as much as I hate to say it, I think you're probably right on. Greenbrier's upperclassmen just don't have any heart and they're la-zeee! Our transfer is the lone bright spot and it's terrible that we have to rely so much on her. We have a new head coach and I'm sure there's pressure to play the upperclassmen (we've all heard it sitting in the stands from parents that don't have a clue: "What do these new kids - freshmen and a transfer - think coming in here and playing over my precious daughter(s) who've 'paid their dues?'"). In my opinion, each player needs to decide at each practice and each game whether they're willing to make the sacrifices to play the game respectably. From what I've seen, the work ethic isn't there. Unless some changes and demands are made, we'll be lucky to win 5 games this year. Harpeth 'played with us' last night. They were in shape, have basketball IQ's and play full-court offense AND defense...almost like guys, except they're WAY prettier :thumb: . The bad thing is, we get them again in a couple of weeks. Lord, we'd better get in shape or it's gonna be a long and frustrating year. Our team is not terrible. It's just that some of the players don't 'choose' to play hard and that's a shame.

Unfortunately, I understand 100% the whole thing with the parents thinking their daughters should play simply because they are seniors. It is tough on a first year coach, especially one that has inheritted a program that has hit rock bottom, such as Greenbrier's. Hopefully, this coach will sit down for the long haul and start by building this team's future success, as I do not believe their is a short-term solution that will produce either wins or happy parents. The city of Greenbrier has proven that they can produce quality athletes (look at volleyball and softball), but needs a coach to give the basketball program some direction. Until they find that, I am afraid they will hold up the rest of the district for a long time.

Portland suffered a major loss Tuesday night, and it did not come on the scoreboard. At the end of the third quarter in an eventual 51-40 win over East Robertson, 5'9" starting junior wing Denae Dorris tore her ACL, ending her season. She was averaging just over 9 points a game, and had yet to shoot the way she is capable of. She did a lot of the little things that made her such an important part of this Panther team, and she will be difficult to replace. Portland still has enough weapons to make noise this year, but depth will now be a major concern. Hopefully, the Panthers will have the mental toughness to overcome an ACL injury to a starter for the 6th straight year. Good luck Lady Panthers!