Chris Donald & Harrison Smith

allsports#1

If they want to get to the NFL, then UT is where they need to be. UT ranks 3rd among colleges on sending their players to the NFL. Fulmer has sent players to the show consistently. Donald would love playing under Chavous, and Smith would not get the publicity in South Bend as he would here. Smith would also love playing under Trooper Taylor. Look what Taylor has done with this year's group of wideouts.

"Would not get the publicity in South Bend as he would here"? What is the reasoning behind that statement? Kentucky, NC, Arkansas, Misssippi, are among the boundaries of Tennessee not the United States. Believe it or not, the other 49 states have TV and radio stations, as well as newspapers. I think what you meant was that Smith would not get the publicity IN TENNESSEE if he played at Notre Dame instead of Tennessee.

This topic is called "where Donald and Smith should go," but shouldn't it be "where I wish Donald and Smith would go"?

Footballfan15 posted that "talent should stay in state whenever possible." I have no idea what he/she means by "possible," but if all the Florida, NC, California and other states never sent any talent to Tennessee, and the Vols had to play Florida,

LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss, state high school talent versus state high school talent, then you could close off the upper deck of Neyland Stadium and use it for married student housing--same is true of Notre Dame and most of the other national powers. I don't think Peyton Manning was from Pigeon Forge, and I'm pretty sure Tee Martin didn't prep over at Chuckey-Doak either.

Edited by Augielio

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Volunteer[/url]General' post='826193455' date='Oct 16 2006 - 05:41 PM'] I remember a few years ago when ND played at Neyland reading a comment from a ND fan saying he wished ND fans would all wear the same color like UT fans do. I`ll give ND it`s due, but bottomline is that there is nothing like playing football in the SEC. Nothing!

How many years did you play? For UT or some other school?

"Would not get the publicity in South Bend as he would here"? What is the reasoning behind that statement? Kentucky, NC, Arkansas, Misssippi, are among the boundaries of Tennessee not the United States. Believe it or not, the other 49 states have TV and radio stations, as well as newspapers. I think what you meant was that Smith would not get the publicity IN TENNESSEE if he played at Notre Dame instead of Tennessee.

This topic is called "where Donald and Smith should go," but shouldn't it be "where I wish Donald and Smith would go"?

Footballfan15 posted that "talent should stay in state whenever possible." I have no idea what he/she means by "possible," but if all the Florida, NC, California and other states never sent any talent to Tennessee, and the Vols had to play Florida,

LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss, state high school talent versus state high school talent, then you could close off the upper deck of Neyland Stadium and use it for married student housing--same is true of Notre Dame and most of the other national powers. I don't think Peyton Manning was from Pigeon Forge, and I'm pretty sure Tee Martin didn't prep over at Chuckey-Doak either.

Someone doesn't understand what I am saying so lets make some bulleted points.

• SEC Football- like VG said there is nothing else like it.
  • NFL Talent- UT puts the 3rd most pros in the NFL
  • John Chavous and Trooper Taylor- Donald and Smith would learn and flourish under these two coaches.
  • Family- Its a shorter trip to Knoxville than to South Bend to watch a game.
  • Education- UT is turning into one of the best universities in the country, so ND can't use that selling point.

I could list some more if you want. Look at there, I didn't even put in my personal feelings, and of course any UT fan with a brain cell would want Donald and Smith. The comment about in state talent was made because the last couple of years, UT has lost out on some top prospects that are starring at other schools (Turner, Willis, and Warren to name a few). Please stop putting words in peoples mouth cause that is what you are trying to do.

You would think Donald would be an easy commit for TN to land with the comparison of ND'S defence to Tennessee's D. Tennessee has been know for there hard nose defence and aggresive line backers. Tennessee's defence is at a different level than Norte Dame's. But on offense ND might have a slight edge on TN if Harrison wants to play O instead of D. Especially since David Cutcliff is for sure going to get numerous head coaching job offers and it is not clear if he wants to stay or go since he likes to run his own program. I wouldn't be surprised to see an offer from the "U" the way Cokers team has gone down. I hope both come to TN but like I said before I think Harrison's headed for ND.

Someone doesn't understand what I am saying so lets make some bulleted points.

• SEC Football- like VG said there is nothing else like it.
  • NFL Talent- UT puts the 3rd most pros in the NFL
  • John Chavous and Trooper Taylor- Donald and Smith would learn and flourish under these two coaches.
  • Family- Its a shorter trip to Knoxville than to South Bend to watch a game.
  • Education- UT is turning into one of the best universities in the country, so ND can't use that selling point.

I could list some more if you want. Look at there, I didn't even put in my personal feelings, and of course any UT fan with a brain cell would want Donald and Smith. The comment about in state talent was made because the last couple of years, UT has lost out on some top prospects that are starring at other schools (Turner, Willis, and Warren to name a few). Please stop putting words in peoples mouth cause that is what you are trying to do.

I find it remarkable that you chide me for "putting words in peoples mouth" in a post where you attributed to VG something very different from what he said. You have him saying "...there's nothing else like it [sEC football]." What he actually wrote was, "There's nothing like playing football in the SEC." You left "playing football in the SEC" out of your paraphrase. Quite a bit of difference. One could have a legitimate opinion that "there's nothing else like" SEC football--if one watched it. To have a meaningful opinion that "There's nothing like playing football in the SEC," seems to me one would have to have played football in the SEC. I have asked VG if he did that. If he didn't then his opinion would have the same weight as a statement by me that "There's nothing like being head architect for the town of Pigeon Forge."

You may not think that academic benefits are a factor here, but if you talked to the recruits (including Golden Tate and Donald), you would find that ND's academics are a factor. The 98% graduation rate at Notre Dame (over last 8 years) is not a made-up figure--unless the NCAA clearinghouse made it up and put it in their annual reports. Download the data and read it. You ever notice that ND does not have junior college transfers, does not allow athletes to go to some farm team for a year or two to get eligible. Tennessee is a good university and is truly getting better, but we all remember in the late-1990's, when Florida and Tennessee had the lowest graduation rates in the SEC. Strange you should brag about UTs educational level at this point--Fulmer just announced that 3 or 4 of the current class of recruits are ineligible because they did not meet basic academic requirements. All universities have good instructors and libraries with books filled with more knowledge than any student can assimilate in his time there.

Now about Trooper Taylor and John Chavis (not "Chavous"). Taylor has been working his coaching magic on receivers at Tennessee now for.how long...oh,let me see....five games, I believe. Now, there's a resume. I'll say one thing--he sure can high-five. John Chavis is the real deal. I admire him a lot. Excellent coach. The point you seemed to be trying to make was that the recruits would learn so much more in Knoxville than in South Bend. Have you perhaps heard of Samardzija, Stovall, Fasano, and McKnight. They caught passes for Notre Dame last year and Samardzija and McKnight are doing it again this year. Everybody in that list was or will be a first round choice. Smith or Tate might pick up a wrinkle or two there. Where Charley Weis is, there will be good receivers.

So. to reemphasize my main point--it was you who put words in the post by VG that he did not write--not me.

Edited by Augielio

I find it remarkable that you chide me for "putting words in peoples mouth" in a post where you attributed to VG something very different from what he said. You have him saying "...there's nothing else like it [sEC football]." What he actually wrote was, "There's nothing like playing football in the SEC." You left "playing football in the SEC" out of your paraphrase. Quite a bit of difference. One could have a legitimate opinion that "there's nothing else like" SEC football--if one watched it. To have a meaningful opinion that "There's nothing like playing football in the SEC," seems to me one would have to have played football in the SEC. I have asked VG if he did that. If he didn't then his opinion would have the same weight as a statement by me that "There's nothing like being head architect for the town of Pigeon Forge."

You may not think that academic benefits are a factor here, but if you talked to the recruits (including Golden Tate and Donald), you would find that ND's academics are a factor. The 98% graduation rate at Notre Dame (over last 8 years) is not a made-up figure--unless the NCAA clearinghouse made it up and put it in their annual reports. Download the data and read it. You ever notice that ND does not have junior college transfers, does not allow athletes to go to some farm team for a year or two to get eligible. Tennessee is a good university and is truly getting better, but we all remember in the late-1990's, when Florida and Tennessee had the lowest graduation rates in the SEC. Strange you should brag about UTs educational level at this point--Fulmer just announced that 3 or 4 of the current class of recruits are ineligible because they did not meet basic academic requirements. All universities have good instructors and libraries with books filled with more knowledge than any student can assimilate in his time there.

Now about Trooper Taylor and John Chavis (not "Chavous"). Taylor has been working his coaching magic on receivers at Tennessee now for.how long...oh,let me see....five games, I believe. Now, there's a resume. I'll say one thing--he sure can high-five. John Chavis is the real deal. I admire him a lot. Excellent coach. The point you seemed to be trying to make was that the recruits would learn so much more in Knoxville than in South Bend. Have you perhaps heard of Samardzija, Stovall, Fasano, and McKnight. They caught passes for Notre Dame last year and Samardzija and McKnight are doing it again this year. Everybody in that list was or will be a first round choice. Smith or Tate might pick up a wrinkle or two there. Where Charley Weis is, there will be good receivers.

So. to reemphasize my main point--it was you who put words in the post by VG that he did not write--not me.

This shows me a person who is either bored or someone who wants to get in an arguement. Apparently you don't understand things very well. Cause everyone here was having a great conversation about 2 great individuals till you came around.

Why not just post your opinion and be done with it. I would be willing to bet everyone knows what I mean when I mentioned VG's statement. It is called paraphrasing and if those are confused can refer back to VG's post for clarity. Now I wouldn't want to plagarize and steal the ideas of VG so I paraphrased what he said. Maybe next time I should put in a bibliography with my post.

The academics of a college athlete comes down to the athlete. If one wants to go to college and just play football that is their choice. It seems that Donald and Smith are not like that and will use their education they would recieve from UT. I never said they would learn so much more at UT nor did I imply that. What I did imply was that ND can no longer tell their recruits that their academics is way above UT's. It is all about selling points to recruits.

You can make fun of my comment about Trooper Taylor but it is obvious he has a gift for coaching. Isn't he the one who revitalized our running backs? Yes, he was. Now, he has taken an underachieving group of WR and turned them into All-American type wideouts.

What about family? Figured you would have something to say about that.

And that's why you never heard John Ward say "It's academic time in Tennessee!"