Courtney Coffey

Bluewhirlygig

I can see bluewhirlygigs point, but I agree with everyone else about the young program and coaching. The problem is how do you measure a guys talent and ability when he makes it look so easy? I would like to know if he competed Nationally to get a national ranking? I just don't have enough facts to make a real assessment, but you all got me watching.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I am reading this wrong. Although, I don't agree with the bluewhilygig often, I think he was complimenting Coffee on his accomplishments so far. The only disparaging comments the gig had, was to the lack of coaching he was getting at JPII. One must remember, because you wrestled before, this doesn't make you a good coach. If you compare the success of the JPII program to others in the area you will find out it is struggling at best. Yes, it is a young program, but how can you say that Coffee was taught well by his coach and that is why he is successful when the others on the team have not had the same success. I believe that is what the gig is referring to. Coffee is on a young team and he is accomplishing many great things because of his athletic ability. Once the others on the team have more time under their belt they might experience more success. Just a thought.

By no means is this meant to disrespect the other coaches or teams in "our area". I am just defending myself and our program. With that said, Takedown, how is this for success? Jp2 had more wrestlers named to the All-MidState team than all the other schools in "our area" combined. 3 of our guys placed in the state, our only senior, Courtney, and a sophmore. Our freshman 103 was 2 seconds away from placing. I am proud of my guys and our young program. Last year was the first full team we have had. I take pride in my coaching and I give it my all. It is hard to compete w/ the 100 year old schools, but we are building. Again, no disrespect to the schools in our area, I respect them all. Just fightin for my boys.

I agree with you guys. He has beaten the best in the state with the skills he has chosen to use. Courtney has great coaching at PJP. I went to high school with Roger Jones , who by the way played football and started for the Bengals and the Titans at cornerback. Not the mention Jason Cook, was if my memory serves me correct a state champion at Brentwood Academy in the late 80s, and that was before they split the divisions. So I really don't see how much better his coaching could have been. I think you guys are doing a great job at PJP! :thumb:

You are a knucklehead.... Roger Jones is a football coach at PJ2 AND Coach Jason Cook was a runner-up his senior year (a great accomplishment in itself) and medaled 3rd or 4th his junior year. I've seen Cook wrestle in High School and hes a big boy. I'm sure he gives Coffey all he can handle on the mat in practice. I saw the schedule last year and the Coach took them all over the east including an invitational at Ovedia(spelling?) FL which is one of the top ten teams in the country where Coffey was named BEST WRESTLER. I believe the schedule is much tougher this year.

The coach’s at PJP have a lot of passion for the sport and dedicate many hours at practice, matches, and all-day tournaments. Courtney Coffee was not their only state placer, I believe Damaj Wilson (not sure about the name) placed at state. Josh Pyrdum wrestled him in a match that went into overtime. I think it was at Mcgavock. Josh, better on the mat than on his feet, and Damaj, better on his feet, wrestled to his strength’s and eventually won the match. I think he was well coached in that match.

The coach’s at PJP have a lot of passion for the sport and dedicate many hours at practice, matches, and all-day tournaments. Courtney Coffee was not their only state placer, I believe Damaj Wilson (not sure about the name) placed at state. Josh Pyrdum wrestled him in a match that went into overtime. I think it was at Mcgavock. Josh, better on the mat than on his feet, and Damaj, better on his feet, wrestled to his strength’s and eventually won the match. I think he was well coached in that match.

I have to give some credit to the caoches at PJPII. I have actually had a few conversations with their coach whether it was at the state tournament, freshman / sophomore tournament, or a freestyle tournament. I have coached against his kids and had several conversations with a lot of them. Damaj in particular I have had my eye on since he was a freshman. He is one tough, hard-working kid. I have to agree on his being well caoched to his strengths as well. Damaj wrestles very well from the upper-body stand-point. I watched him go toe-to-toe with Phillip Jackson of Briarcrest in the conso-finals at state last year and that was a war that Phillip ended up winning 10-8. When you watched those two wrestle it was evident that they were two very strong kids at that weight and it was easy to see Damaj understood the technique in the upper body area well as I know both he and Phillip battled in that position for some time (and Phillip is very good from that position as well). Damaj followed that up with another grinder a week later in the finals of the sophomore state tournament where it came down to a match with another kid who seemed destined to keep the match decided on their feet. The PJPII coach was insturmental in helping Damaj through that match as I watched (it being one of the last matches of the night) and Damaj followed orders and gameplan to a T and came out with what I seem to remember was a double overtime win there.

I may have rattled on there a bit but I have to back the PJPII coach a little in this discussion. He may not be a Simpson, Gordon, etc. yet (I say yet because you never know how deep someone's potential runs at this stage) but his technique is certainly not bad (it just may focus on different basics than others) and he definitely puts his heart and soul into his kids... and that is something that is often just as important as the technique one brings to the table.

Ending rant

Thanks Walkenvol -- undoubtedly, no one is better qualified to monitor and identify "DICBHPTIS" that you as you are an expert in the area. I am honored to have one of my entries selected and I promise to provide many more "DICBHPTIS" in the future because I always call 'em like I see 'em.

As for the outpouring of sympathy for the coaches at JPII, I find it to be touching but it does not change my opinion. Based on MY OBSERVATIONS and DISCUSSIONS with others, I am not overly impressed with the JPII coaches (especially the head coach [so drink some decaf Steelerwhit]) and here's why:

(i) During tough matches against solid teams, he sits and watches his wrestlers hardly saying a word until it is time for Courtney's match. Then he jumps around and gesticulates wildly acting as though the only way Courtney can win the match is with his guidance. Please, the fact is that Courtney would probably still be 136-8 with two state titles with anyone coaching him. He acts like a glory hound trying to take far too much credit for Courtney’s success.

(ii) On several occasions, I have seen him discourage his wrestlers from demonstrating good sportsmanship by actually telling his wrestler to “not shake hands”. Pure and simple, there is more to coaching wrestling than teaching moves and strategies, it is also about building character and teaching boys how to deal with both success and adversity. To berate a boy for shaking hands with an opponent or an opposing coach is classless and sends the wrong message, and is the main reason for my low opinion of the coach.

As for Courtney's wrestling style, I agree that Courtney should "not fix anything that ain't broken" because, clearly, it works for him. To reiterate my original point, Courtney’s achievements are a result of his natural talent and hard work not coaching. Thus, should he decide to pursue wrestling in the future, I expect to see marked improvement because his skill level will catch up to his physical abilities and create a total package.

Now, ya’ll chew on that.

Thanks Walkenvol -- undoubtedly, no one is better qualified to monitor and identify "DICBHPTIS" that you as you are an expert in the area. I am honored to have one of my entries selected and I promise to provide many more "DICBHPTIS" in the future because I always call 'em like I see 'em.

As for the outpouring of sympathy for the coaches at JPII, I find it to be touching but it does not change my opinion. Based on MY OBSERVATIONS and DISCUSSIONS with others, I am not overly impressed with the JPII coaches (especially the head coach [so drink some decaf Steelerwhit]) and here's why:

(i) During tough matches against solid teams, he sits and watches his wrestlers hardly saying a word until it is time for Courtney's match. Then he jumps around and gesticulates wildly acting as though the only way Courtney can win the match is with his guidance. Please, the fact is that Courtney would probably still be 136-8 with two state titles with anyone coaching him. He acts like a glory hound trying to take far too much credit for Courtney’s success.

(ii) On several occasions, I have seen him discourage his wrestlers from demonstrating good sportsmanship by actually telling his wrestler to “not shake hands”. Pure and simple, there is more to coaching wrestling than teaching moves and strategies, it is also about building character and teaching boys how to deal with both success and adversity. To berate a boy for shaking hands with an opponent or an opposing coach is classless and sends the wrong message, and is the main reason for my low opinion of the coach.

As for Courtney's wrestling style, I agree that Courtney should "not fix anything that ain't broken" because, clearly, it works for him. To reiterate my original point, Courtney’s achievements are a result of his natural talent and hard work not coaching. Thus, should he decide to pursue wrestling in the future, I expect to see marked improvement because his skill level will catch up to his physical abilities and create a total package.

Now, ya’ll chew on that.

Let me say this. Courtney has won the past 2 state championships This puts him in great company. For some of you guys to bash that is just crazy. Could Courtney have won the state championships wrestling for another coach? maybe. My guess is yes he could because he is a great athlete. He could adjust to any style. I believe he wrestles the way that works for him. If it was me and I won 2 state titles I would not change a thing. I say some of you guys are just jealous, as am I, that Courtney is not on your team. Everyone in the state wants to have a Courtney Coffee. If you deny that then you are lying to yourself and everyone on here.

bluewhirlygig, you really show your ignorance with your last statement. Never, Never once have I or coach Cook told one of our guys not to shake hands with the oppenate or the other coach. In fact, when our kids forget, we make sure that he goes over and shakes the other coaches hand. This is one of our biggest points we drive home from the first meeting of the season, till the last match, SPORTSMANSHIP. No throwing headgear, keep your singlet up, and always shake their hands. There are a lot of times where our guys shake hands and the other kid does not shake ours. Jp2 wears the gold singlet w/ the sword on the back, maybe you are watching the wrong team. Yes, coach Cook is passionatate whenever Courtney wrestles, so am I. Whenever Courtney steps on the mat, most people would love to see him get beat. If someone gets in on him or lifts him up, the crowd goes "ahhhhhhh". So yes we get into his matches, but that must be the only match you watch because you would see us yelling, squirming, and whatever during our other kids matches. Sometimes, I feel as though I may yell to my wrestlers too much. Sometimes, although rarely, I will sit back and just let the kid wrestle. However, most of the time, I will Instruct them throughout the entire match. Coach Cook is the same way, we come from the same school and teaching. I know there are a lot of gold unis out there, you are definately confused.

bluewhirlygig, you really show your ignorance with your last statement. Never, Never once have I or coach Cook told one of our guys not to shake hands with the oppenate or the other coach.... I know there are a lot of gold unis out there, you are definately confused.

Steelerwhit, surely you realize that a lot of people get on this board just to stir up passionate discussions and to try to get a rise out of posters.

That being said, Steelerwhit, "you doth protest too much, methinks" (To quote from Shakespeare's Hamlet) because I saw and heard JPII's head coach (the husky one) tell his kids "not to shake their hands" several times when a JP II wrestler had lost to a Father Ryan wrestler during last year's state tournament.

So, as much as it hurts me to have to admit it, the gig is right about that particular point.