Courtney Coffey

Bluewhirlygig

I was proud of the effort Courtney gave in the finals. It was like seeing an icon go down. I think it is symbolic of everyone on this thread who tried to bring Coffee down when I saw him go down at state. I don't know about you but I'm done hearing about the negatives on this kid. I hope to hear good things that have come out of this situation and year. I hope to hear Courtney Coffee has learned something and he takes the higher road to success.

God bless you Courtney!

Good points!

Last year the folks from JPII and Middle TN had nothing but great things to say about this young man and his abilities. It seams like you either hate him or respect his abilities.

Things his father and mother did at state make me question what he has been taught.

But I hope the best for him and hope he takes advangtage of the gifts god gave him at the next level.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lettner beat Coffee because he was better prepared this season. Steve Henry put him through a grueling season and came unscathed. He defeated 2 defending champions to earn his championship and should have been awarded the OW award. Have no axe to grind with Courtney, he got beat fair and square. The ending left much to be desired. Why his father would cover him at the end of the match leads me only to this conclusion: He is covering for him again. Did you see Mr. Coffee yell at the Centennial coaches and did you see them jump? Also, did you notice what Mr. Coffee was wearing, a JPII jacket.

tcb

Lettner beat Coffee because he was better prepared this season. Steve Henry put him through a grueling season and came unscathed. He defeated 2 defending champions to earn his championship and should have been awarded the OW award. Have no axe to grind with Courtney, he got beat fair and square. The ending left much to be desired. Why his father would cover him at the end of the match leads me only to this conclusion: He is covering for him again. Did you see Mr. Coffee yell at the Centennial coaches and did you see them jump? Also, did you notice what Mr. Coffee was wearing, a JPII jacket.

tcb

Rumor has it that Ms Coffey said some things to last years 215 state champs parents that was not taken well. Such as"Be glad your boy didn't have to face Courtney last year". You have to love folks like that.

:) Bless their hearts!!!!!!! :)

Why his father would cover him at the end of the match leads me only to this conclusion: He is covering for him again. Did you see Mr. Coffee yell at the Centennial coaches and did you see them jump? Also, did you notice what Mr. Coffee was wearing, a JPII jacket.

Fans, parents or any else, are not supposed to go onto the playing surface for any reason. This is a rather unfortunate situation that the administration at Centennial will most assuredly have to address. RC took the coach aside and had a nice long conversation about the incident. I hate to think that those coaches are going to get in trouble for the actions of the father. Unfortunately we all know that coaches are responsible for controlling their fans and educating them as to their boundaries. Personally I would have liked to have seen security swarm and drag the guy out, although that would not have been what is best for our sport. After he barked at the coaches, people he knows and trusted with his child, like a rabid dog, a full on battle with security, perfect strangers, would have been entertaining.

Fans, parents or any else, are not supposed to go onto the playing surface for any reason. This is a rather unfortunate situation that the administration at Centennial will most assuredly have to address. RC took the coach aside and had a nice long conversation about the incident. I hate to think that those coaches are going to get in trouble for the actions of the father. Unfortunately we all know that coaches are responsible for controlling their fans and educating them as to their boundaries. Personally I would have liked to have seen security swarm and drag the guy out, although that would not have been what is best for our sport. After he barked at the coaches, people he knows and trusted with his child, like a rabid dog, a full on battle with security, perfect strangers, would have been entertaining.

What did he bark at the coaches?

What did he bark at the coaches?

Whatever it was, it scared the Centennial coaches because they jumped back. The Ref's should have told him to stand up and shake Lettner's hand and walked off, instead, we were treated to this spectacle. I would love to know what he barked at the coaches. Ellie, can you assist with this?

Okay, now that I've been called out.... According to Brad - there was someone at the media table telling him to get Mr. Coffee off the mat. (Yes, I've told Brad that he only answers to the officials, not some person at the media table!) He laid his hand on Mr. Coffee's shoulder and he flinched, causing Brad to jump back. Mr Coffee did not strike out or say anything inappropriate. Come on if anyone else was that close when Mr. Coffee flinched like that, you would've jumped back too! However, Brad did tell me that he could hear what Mr. Coffee was saying to his son, as could the officials. The officials did not say a word to Brad about moving this man from the mat. Mr. Coffee loves his son and all his children. Courtney was heart broken and his Dad was saying all the right things to encourage him to get up and shake Mr. Lettner's hand. If you had seen them under the bleachers after the match or in the stands before or after you would know that Mr. & Mrs. Coffee are good folks and love their children.

As for the letter jacket - get over it! Courtney played football at JP2 this year and it was his jacket that his Dad wore. During Region 7 his Dad wore his football jersey. No one had an issue with it there! The guy is proud of his son regardless of where he played football or wrestled.

Now then, I want to say one more thing - Mr. Shane Turner - Brad respected you as a coach when you stood in his corner when traveling and he respects you so much more after being in the other corner. Thank you for being such a great role model to my son!

See ya on the flip side!

So why did he take it out on the coaches. I didn't know if Courtney C was hurt or just heart broken. In the paper it said he laid on the mat in tears. Not the Act of a Champion!

The former 2 X State Champ from ND wasn't acting that way when he lost!

Well said Rigger. The 119 from Notre Dame accepted defeat like the proud champion he is. He did it with dignity. No act. However, I will have to say, we should also win like a champion. The 103 & 189 from CBHS showed us all how to not win with pride and dignity. Did anybody see the end of the 103 & the 189 lb finals in DII? At 103, the CBHS wrestler, Baucke, is pumping his fist to the CBHS crowd while he has Manley on his back and the ref counting back points. Should have been stopped and penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct. At 189, the CBHS wrestler, Williams, with a few seconds left in his match, turns his back to the other wrestler and starts flexing to the crowd. Should have been penalized with unsportsmanlike conduct. I wonder what Lewis had to say. From the stands, all he did was hug and congratulate both. At 119, the McCallie wrestler, Duncan, pulls the gravedigger stunt. Should have been penalized a team point for unsportsmanlike conduct. Can we not win with dignity??? :)

Edited by hoosierdad

Whatever it was, it scared the Centennial coaches because they jumped back. The Ref's should have told him to stand up and shake Lettner's hand and walked off, instead, we were treated to this spectacle. I would love to know what he barked at the coaches. Ellie, can you assist with this?

Hoosierdad - take a look at my previous post, just above your last one - it looks like were were both posting about the same time. Didn't want you missing it and think that I was avoiding your questions...