Smyrna Scheduling Woes

tnko

Before tnko and DAEKO start hollering, I have moved on to another question. I am answering a question posed.

Soms, was Franklin not in the Region with Smyrna during most of Coach G's career? Soms, can you answer this and tell Coach down south as well. I believe Franklin was because they hosted the Region at their school with Smyrna participating. I know the Regions now have changed and our out of balance. The region with FRA/Franklin/Overton/Brentwood is ridiculous. They have wrestlers not going to the state that would be in the Finals at others. There is definately an inbalance to the Regions now. Watching these finals are as good as it gets in the Region Wrestling.

This is one reason I have followed Franklin for so many years. And by the way,,, no one needs to be looking past that Rebel team this year as they may have one of their top teams of all time coming together. :(

Yes is the answer to your first question. There were about 24 teams then and I know Smyrna won the region championship one year and placed in the top two or three other years under coach G.

I imagine that no region tops this one. Oh and add Ravenwood to that list. I have overheard other coaches of top teams left in that old region and they certainly have reason to gripe,,, but haven't many of us all through the years? Many have had good reason for concern previous seasons when you consider other teams around the state that could qualify their entire team and score extra points in the early rounds. Franklin never had this good fortune and probably lost 20-50 points in the traditional state as a result.

Now, most years the weaker regions will not offer a real team challenge as many wrestlers per capita will not make it past the first or second rounds. It is my belief that double elimination is the only way to easily offset the mistakes that are inherently built into the seeding procedures involving a mix of strong and weaker regions...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one reason I have followed Franklin for so many years. And by the way,,, no one needs to be looking past that Rebel team this year as they may have one of their top teams of all time coming together. :(

Yes is the answer to your first question. There were about 24 teams then and I know Smyrna won the region championship one year and placed in the top two or three other years under coach G.

I imagine that no region tops this one. Oh and add Ravenwood to that list. I have overheard other coaches of top teams left in that old region and they certainly have reason to gripe,,, but haven't many of us all through the years? Many have had good reason for concern previous seasons when you consider other teams around the state that could qualify their entire team and score extra points in the early rounds. Franklin never had this good fortune and probably lost 20-50 points in the traditional state as a result.

Now, most years the weaker regions will not offer a real team challenge as many wrestlers per capita will not make it past the first or second rounds. It is my belief that double elimination is the only way to easily offset the mistakes that are inherently built into the seeding procedures involving a mix of strong and weaker regions...

Soms,

Thanks for response. Well spoken. However, their are still Regions that are loaded that will leave wrestlers behind that could score points for their team that did not make the state. My point was that Franklin was in the Smyrna Region during time. They are no longer in the Region. They are in a different Region. Thanks for answering dele Warr's question.

P.S. How is your son doing that graduated last year? Is he wrestling, etc? Keep us posted. Your son always wrestled with heart.

Soms,

Thanks for response. Well spoken. However, their are still Regions that are loaded that will leave wrestlers behind that could score points for their team that did not make the state. My point was that Franklin was in the Smyrna Region during time. They are no longer in the Region. They are in a different Region. Thanks for answering dele Warr's question.

P.S. How is your son doing that graduated last year? Is he wrestling, etc? Keep us posted. Your son always wrestled with heart.

Thanks!! He's fine. He just messed up his own brother's (22 yrs) knee today at college (BYU club stuff). They are very even and always have been since Spence turned 15. They both wrestled with no more than half their hearts in most matches (not matches really, but prep-work in practices),,, when under pressure on the mat though, they just wanted to make dad happy, I think. One of my two younger ones is a fighter though and then the youngest one falls in line with the two oldest (decent skill and strength, but little fire).

I believe most teams can benefit from the challenge a stronger region brings and Franklin has been no exception to that. I believe Smyrna grew as a result.

Edited by soms

Soms,

My point was that Franklin was in the Smyrna Region during time.

hoosierdad, You answered my question when you asked Soms for verification on Franklin's being in the same region with Smyrna (Region V, prior to re-alignment). I already knew which region Franklin was in. I couldn't understand what you knew. In your PS, you questioned the toughness of the Smyrna Region, then you used Franklin (who is not in the Smyrna region) as the singular standard for measuring other teams in the region (Outside of Franklin, who else has won anything, much less placed."). I couldn't follow your logic. Now that you have clarified that you were referring to Region V prior to re-alignment, I can address my point.

The Region V you refer to was put into place during the 1989-90 season. During the first ten years Brentwood Academy won two Small School State Duals. Brentwood High was runner-up in the Large School Duals two times, third once. Brentwood High also place third and fourth, along with other top ten placements, in the Traditional. This is offered to answer your rhetorical question "who else has won anything, much less placed."

Franklin's consistent top-end presence in Region V emerged during the Region's final five years or so.

And to respond to the toughness of Region V: As it continued to grow in team numbers and programs continued to hire competitive coaches, it became increasingly tougher for top-end teams to get competitive numbers qualified for the State.

I agree with you and Soms that Franklin is once again in a tough region. That region has traded their old region with most teams having 2, 3, or 4 tough kids for a region with fewer teams, but with more teams having 8 -10 quality competitors.

hoosierdad, You answered my question when you asked Soms for verification on Franklin's being in the same region with Smyrna (Region V, prior to re-alignment). I already knew which region Franklin was in. I couldn't understand what you knew. In your PS, you questioned the toughness of the Smyrna Region, then you used Franklin (who is not in the Smyrna region) as the singular standard for measuring other teams in the region (Outside of Franklin, who else has won anything, much less placed."). I couldn't follow your logic. Now that you have clarified that you were referring to Region V prior to re-alignment, I can address my point.

The Region V you refer to was put into place during the 1989-90 season. During the first ten years Brentwood Academy won two Small School State Duals. Brentwood High was runner-up in the Large School Duals two times, third once. Brentwood High also place third and fourth, along with other top ten placements, in the Traditional. This is offered to answer your rhetorical question "who else has won anything, much less placed."

Franklin's consistent top-end presence in Region V emerged during the Region's final five years or so.

And to respond to the toughness of Region V: As it continued to grow in team numbers and programs continued to hire competitive coaches, it became increasingly tougher for top-end teams to get competitive numbers qualified for the State.

I agree with you and Soms that Franklin is once again in a tough region. That region has traded their old region with most teams having 2, 3, or 4 tough kids for a region with fewer teams, but with more teams having 8 -10 quality competitors.

Coach,

Thanks for the history of how well Brentwood has done, claiming 3rd & 4th & top 10. You should know. I am not going to get into with you for you answered my question, who else has won. Only Franklin has won a championship. You just made my point while trying to throw a dart. You missed. You questioned my talking about Franklin, Franklin was in the Region during the years Smyrna was talking about. You certainly knew that because you were there. However, you did have some good team back then.