Knoxville Halls

fairplay2121

I would be willing to wager a small bet that if Quarles or Coatney were asked by there starting QB if they could do a lighter weight today in class so they would be more ready for a baseball game tonight, that those two men would say YES, BUT YOU NEED TO MAKE IT UP SOON. What the hay is wrong with that?

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well if I'm not mistaken my friends that are playing/have played baseball for coach polston and also played football for coach shepherd or coach julian have told me that the football workouts and the baseball workouts kind of intertwine. coach polston doesn't want his kids working out too much during season which is understandable and the two sports have come to an agreement on workout programs. Now, with weight training being a class that is on school times and sanctioned by whatever proper authorities to be a class, then I don't see how anyone can get around any workout program that may be in place. So, basically, if any random Joe in coach julian's class doesn't want to work out that day, coach julian should be ok with that and not count off on their grades. If julian were to take on this type of attitude with cooper, then he would have to with any kid that wanted special treatment whether for 1 day or the entire semester and then what kind of credibility does he have with the class, the players, the teaching staff at Halls, and his supervisors. the bottom line is that cooper's in the wrong any way you cut it and shouldn't have signed up for the class if he didn't want to work out during basketball and baseball season and should've quit football to keep from working out. You know, how sad is it that kids nowadays dont have the work ethic or want to that people in the past have had. whoever is telling kids that you can't work out and play a sport in the same day is nuts.

Great point there haveityourway. I have watched this scene unfold and have one last question. Was this the first time Coop didn't lift or has this been going on for a while? If it had been going on for a while then Coach is wrong for letting him get away with and then coming down on his case now.

I agree with haveityourway. Michael Jordan used to work out on game days, and it didn't seem to effect him too much. On top of that, there was nothing said about a "lighter weight". I'm sure that Coach Julian knows that you don't have to do massive amounts of weight all the time to get a good work out.

Edited by sneakypete

Cooper doesn't seem to have the mindset to go D1 in anything if you ask me. Sounds like he can't even work out in a class that is all about, working out. If he doesn't have the work ethic to do a workout program for a class that he signed up for, then how's he going to run sprints in basketball at any level of college basketball. I feel sorry for the kid. He's got a rude awakening headed his way

Amen!

There are many of you that prescribe to the theory that an athlete shoudn't workout on game day and furthermore be excused from a required assignment in class. You guys need to tell very successful college and professional coaches and athletes they have it all wrong. Most if not all voluntarily or are required to perform some type of weight training on a daily basis. Kudos to a coach who won't be held hostage by a so called super star athlete. Sounds to me like the kind of coach I would have wanted my kids to have played for.

From what seems to be the story, no one really knows the whole truth except for Julian and Cooper or if it happened in weight training the kids in that class, how in the world does anybody see Cooper in the right and Julian in the wrong. Julian is trying to get Halls back to the glory days and has implemented a system of doing that, it seems that it is catching on based on the success of the JV and Freshman teams since he has become the head man at the Crossroads, and no one kid is bigger than the system. If Cooper refuses to do something and is allowed to get away with it, then everyone sees that and thinks they can get away with the same stuff. To get to the point that if it was in a class and that was the assignment for the day, he should have got a F for the day. I am sure that the English department lets all athletes pass on assignments on the day of games. I agree with Haveityourway, if you didnt want to lift during baseball then you should not have signed up for the class.

I do think it is up to the coach to recommend maybe going to a lighter amount. If Julian ever wants to be successful he will have to find a way to communicate with the kids. Rememer we are still dealing with kids. Your making a player choose between coaches, and last I remember Halls Baseball was at the top of the Halls Athletic success. I'm not saying let them out of workouts, but give them a reason to want to come back. Maybe the next day come in a do a complete workout. If your athletes are working out everyday with weights then no wonder they are not very fast. No flexibility. Who runs the stregnth program at Halls? Are they working on speed? Are they working on agility and flexibility?

I do think it is up to the coach to recommend maybe going to a lighter amount. If Julian ever wants to be successful he will have to find a way to communicate with the kids. Rememer we are still dealing with kids. Your making a player choose between coaches, and last I remember Halls Baseball was at the top of the Halls Athletic success. I'm not saying let them out of workouts, but give them a reason to want to come back. Maybe the next day come in a do a complete workout. If your athletes are working out everyday with weights then no wonder they are not very fast. No flexibility. Who runs the stregnth program at Halls? Are they working on speed? Are they working on agility and flexibility?

Leonard it was a Weight Training Class that is designed for the regular student body. I am afraid based on your statements you are misinformed. College and Pro athletes workout daily. If communicating with todays high school student means the teachers should just give them their way anytime they want it: sounds like the tails wagging the dog. As far as making the athlete choose between sports. What are you saying? If the Coach requires the studnet to do his assignments or holds him to a higher standard he has reason not to play for that coach. Sounds to me like you think we should give the athlete special privledges that aren't extended to other students. What about the kid who is working an 8 hour shift unloading a truck at Wal-Mart to save money for college? Then going home doing his homework. I bet he isn't begging out of doing his workout. What happens when the athlete goes out into the real world and tells the boss he can't work a full shift because he has a softball game that night.

High school Coaches and Teachers are there to not only teach their subject but to teach them about being responsible adults. Sounds like Coach Julian is sending the message loud and clear. Regardless of who you are you are responsible to complete your assignment. IF YOU ARE A HALLS FOOTBALL PLAYER YOU WILL BE HELD TO A HIGHER STANDARD.

Halls has some very fast kids and proved that last year. Even though everyone wants to believe they don't.

But I catch your overall meaning on the program in general with agility,etc. To be successful in todays High School Football you have to marry strength with agility to become the complete player.

well if I'm not mistaken my friends that are playing/have played baseball for coach polston and also played football for coach shepherd or coach julian have told me that the football workouts and the baseball workouts kind of intertwine. coach polston doesn't want his kids working out too much during season which is understandable and the two sports have come to an agreement on workout programs. Now, with weight training being a class that is on school times and sanctioned by whatever proper authorities to be a class, then I don't see how anyone can get around any workout program that may be in place. So, basically, if any random Joe in coach julian's class doesn't want to work out that day, coach julian should be ok with that and not count off on their grades. If julian were to take on this type of attitude with cooper, then he would have to with any kid that wanted special treatment whether for 1 day or the entire semester and then what kind of credibility does he have with the class, the players, the teaching staff at Halls, and his supervisors. the bottom line is that cooper's in the wrong any way you cut it and shouldn't have signed up for the class if he didn't want to work out during basketball and baseball season and should've quit football to keep from working out. You know, how sad is it that kids nowadays dont have the work ethic or want to that people in the past have had. whoever is telling kids that you can't work out and play a sport in the same day is nuts.

Well I am sorry but I disagree with all of you guys. Come on no one knows except those two. Besides couldn't Julian

have him go and water the field or make more MOON PIES? Wouldn't that count for Working Out....sorry I couldn't resist. :lol:

Edited by GiveItUp

Well I am sorry but I disagree with all of you guys. Come on no one knows except those two. Besides couldn't Julian

have him go and water the field or make more MOON PIES? Wouldn't that count for Working Out....sorry I couldn't resist. :lol:

this is a class we're talking about here, not before or after school workouts. inexcusable