Antioch vs Dickson County

couga14

I hate to brag again, but I tried to warn folks that Antioch is a DANGEROUS team when they are motivated. There probably isn't a better looking team this side of Riverdale than Antioch. Woodward is doing a good job over there without ideal personnel in some spots. This neighborhood rivalry (Ravenwood and Antioch are what......six miles apart) with the coaching family tree linking Rector and Woodward, makes this a great matchup for next Friday night. Congrats to the Bears!!!

Your opinion of Antioch is obviously skewed by this victory over Dickson County. I'm not sure what you mean by better looking but if it means a better team then you definitely have tunnel vision. There's nothing magical, strategic or otherwise by putting 9 defenders in the box and daring a team to throw. Anybody came scheme that. Offensively they were bland at best with the benefit of turnovers and a short field all night.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playcalling wasn't the problem. It was the 5 turnovers.. The defense kept us in the game like they have all year. Next years defense should be better if they can find any kind of lineman.

And to antioch fans, good game and good luck next week.

#88 and #80 were beast

Play calling may not have been the problem but it certainly didn't help. Dickson County has been good all season at halftime with what appeared to be making adjustments, tweaking the game plan and executing it in the second half. I was outside the locker room during this halftime - the only time all year. There was no attempt to deal with the challenges that Antioch presented - just a bunch of screaming and hollering from the coaching staff about playing harder. Not one brief lesson about Antioch's defense or how they would attempt to attack it differently in the second half. That dry erase board was never touched. No effort to make adjustments. Just the same stubborn approach. We going to run it or go home trying. They didn't even get their team out to loosen up before the second half started.

When a team performs poorly in the first half of a game, it's not uncommon for tempers to flair among a few players and the team losing its focus. There is nothing a coaching staff can say or do to change the events in the first half, be they good or bad. But when they are bad or uncharcteristic from their typical performance, that's when those young men depend on guidance from their coaching staff. I think they missed that opportunity.

Play calling may not have been the problem but it certainly didn't help. Dickson County has been good all season at halftime with what appeared to be making adjustments, tweaking the game plan and executing it in the second half. I was outside the locker room during this halftime - the only time all year. There was no attempt to deal with the challenges that Antioch presented - just a bunch of screaming and hollering from the coaching staff about playing harder. Not one brief lesson about Antioch's defense or how they would attempt to attack it differently in the second half. That dry erase board was never touched. No effort to make adjustments. Just the same stubborn approach. We going to run it or go home trying. They didn't even get their team out to loosen up before the second half started.

When a team performs poorly in the first half of a game, it's not uncommon for tempers to flair among a few players and the team losing its focus. There is nothing a coaching staff can say or do to change the events in the first half, be they good or bad. But when they are bad or uncharcteristic from their typical performance, that's when those young men depend on guidance from their coaching staff. I think they missed that opportunity.

i agree with a lot of what you say, there should have been adjustments.

Antioch was putting 10 in the box and had man 2 man press on Bell, but we wouldn't put it in the air. Stubborness is the correct word.

Edited by couga14

I agree that the coaches are to blame for this lost.

The coaches threw 2 interceptions

The coaches fumbled the ball 3 times when the players had a drive going

The coaches had 3 holding penalties when the players gained yards for a 1st down

The coaches jumped offsides during an important down

The coaches were yelling at each other when they should have been encouraging

The coaches kept missing their blocks they had practiced all week

You are right, It was the coaches fault for this lost.

hey buddy, before you reply, read previous post. I said that the playcalling wasn't the reason DC lost, it was the 5 turnovers

I just replied to the last person that posted. I guess I should have replied to Heavy D. I was not trying to call you out, but to reply to latest comments. I really was not trying to critisize anyone but demonstrate a different view point. sorry if i offended.

i understand, and i am not one to usually get on here and critisize coaching. I do think the playcalling could have been better, however, 5 turnovers will kill you if you call the best game of your life. Antioch played great and i wish the best of luck to them.

any antioch fans, is #88 being looked at by anybody, he was a beast ( although he seemed more concerned with dancing after every play than the game itself )

and #80 also, i noticed he is a junior 6'7 210 wr!

Edited by couga14

I just replied to the last person that posted. I guess I should have replied to Heavy D. I was not trying to call you out, but to reply to latest comments. I really was not trying to critisize anyone but demonstrate a different view point. sorry if i offended.

If you read my post you will see I never stated once that the coaches were to blame for Dickson County's loss. You may have perceived that my opinion or statement on this subject implied such and that's OK. It's your perception.

I have been in the stands all year and listened to several fans who constantly criticized these coaches all year long. I have defended them, for the most part, because I also attended most of their practices and had at least a partial understanding of what they were trying to teach, both offensively and defensively. And while I also have had differences of opinion when it came to technique or scheme, the majority of that was ME not having a full understanding of the particular concept, especially defensively (I have not had any experience with a 3-5 defensive scheme). If nothing else I tried to reinforce the coaches' concepts and techniques when some of the players themselves questioned it.

At halftime of every game this year they may not have discussed anything about their game plan or made any adjustments. Maybe they used this same approach all year long about not giving up and playing harder. Perhaps all motivational and pump up speeches. Whatever it was, it was pretty darn successful with an 8-2 regular season. I am extremely proud of that.

But you have to admit, if you are a fan and watched their games, they never had a first half like this one all year. You could see the confusion and disbelief in their faces heading into the lockeroom at halftime. They needed to have their confidence restored. Maybe that is too much to ask of any coaching staff.

Edited by DCHSHeavyD

A surprising and heartbreaking loss for DC. Not to bash Antioch, but it looked like DC won the game for them. DC's defense was too much for Antioch's offense, but unfortunately for Dickson, their offense didn't step up. I think they were still in the locker room at then end of the 2nd quarter.

Since all but Region 6's 4th seed lost B) I think it's time to follow Ravenwood. I still can't believe 1, 2 and 3 all got knocked off.

Edited by ForumPhantom

A surprising and heartbreaking loss for DC. Not to bash Antioch, but it looked like DC won the game for them. DC's defense was too much for Antioch's offense, but unfortunately for Dickson, their offense didn't step up. I think they were still in the locker room at then end of the 2nd quarter.

Since all but Region 6's 4th seed lost :unsure: I think it's time to follow Ravenwood. I still can't believe 1, 2 and 3 all got knocked off.

I am confused by your post. Antioch was clearly more physical on defense(also a lot faster too). They held DC to about 80 yards rushing on a bunch of carries. Also all the turnovers were caused by contact(good tackling). So still your post confuses me to say that DC won the game for Antioch. I thought they were clearly the second best team on the field.

Simplified: If Dickson County had not had mental mistakes (false starts, etc) and had not turned it over 5 times, they would be hosting Ravenwood this week.

Sure they were physical, but Dickson County has played physical defenses this year and not fumbled 3 or 4 times. Riverdale and Franklin are two examples that come to mind.

Don't get me wrong, DC's offense was outplayed, but that goes back to what I said. I think they weren't ready for or had overlooked Antioch.

Edited by ForumPhantom

i understand, and i am not one to usually get on here and critisize coaching. I do think the playcalling could have been better, however, 5 turnovers will kill you if you call the best game of your life. Antioch played great and i wish the best of luck to them.

any antioch fans, is #88 being looked at by anybody, he was a beast ( although he seemed more concerned with dancing after every play than the game itself )

and #80 also, i noticed he is a junior 6'7 210 wr!

first off, i want to start by saying a job well done by the bears. i've had to miss the rest of the season bc of a move to arkansas but i'm wit ya all the way guys. secondly, who isn't 88 gettin looked at? i only know because he's my lil brother...well...lil big brother. right now he's had looks from ut, lousiville, arkansas, arkanasas state, marshall, auburn, flordia, mtsu, vanderbilt...and a few others. he was dancing? haha...that sounds like my brother. nothin wrong wit havin alil swagga as long as he gets his job done. d1 all the way babyboy...i love ya and i miss ya. continue to make me proud

I am confused by your post. Antioch was clearly more physical on defense(also a lot faster too). They held DC to about 80 yards rushing on a bunch of carries. Also all the turnovers were caused by contact(good tackling). So still your post confuses me to say that DC won the game for Antioch. I thought they were clearly the second best team on the field.

I think all he was trying to say was that Antioch Offense is not all that good over all.

But when you have a D like Theirs your offense can be alittle bad. I went to every game DC played this year and we killed ourselfs in this game . Antioch won far and sq. Dickson forgot who they where playing a very strong, fast and big football team and we got wiped end of story. I dont care how hard you get hit you can't turn over the ball 5 times and hope to win. And to the poster who ask about 88 dancing if your that big and that bad who going to stop you he backed it up all game long. I never saw him being unsportmen like. After he drilled you he would help you up. Ravenwood and Antioch are very good football teams this should be a good game if both teams bring their A game. Good luck to both teams (Go region 6-5A)

I think all he was trying to say was that Antioch Offense is not all that good over all.

But when you have a D like Theirs your offense can be alittle bad. I went to every game DC played this year and we killed ourselfs in this game . Antioch won far and sq. Dickson forgot who they where playing a very strong, fast and big football team and we got wiped end of story. I dont care how hard you get hit you can't turn over the ball 5 times and hope to win. And to the poster who ask about 88 dancing if your that big and that bad who going to stop you he backed it up all game long. I never saw him being unsportmen like. After he drilled you he would help you up. Ravenwood and Antioch are very good football teams this should be a good game if both teams bring their A game. Good luck to both teams (Go region 6-5A)

I wasn't really asking about him dancing.I wasn't trying to put the player down, he was a very good ball player.

Edited by couga14