Johnson County @ Morristown East

Question for any Mo-East and/or Johnson County 'historian' ..... will tomorrow night be the first time that the 'Canes and 'Horns have met in football? If not, how many times have they played before and what is the series record?

Here is Johnson Co's web site -- shows the last few years games: www.jchs.k12tn.net/jchsfootball/jchsfootballhistory.htm.

Here is another one you might find interesting: http://www.mtnlakesfootball.com/

Edited by leectn

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, IMACfan. I knew that West has played the 'Horns before but had no clue about whether East had.

GOOD LUCK CANES!

Here's what I'm thinking:

Johnson County may have more offensive balance than any team East's D has seen this year (Carter and West may argue that). That will be a challenge. Johnson County's RB Jesse Atwood has been compared locally to McFall at Jeff Co. East had problems stopping him. A definite concern in my mind. But, East's run defense has come a long way since then. The Longhorns have been turnover prone - even when they win. Johnson County also has the long bus ride with a new collection of offensive players making their play-off debut (only 1 starter on Off. from last year). East has to jump on them early.

East's offense will have a relatively dry field to get that speed going. But, Johnson Co. won't be wowed by their speed (having seen Sullivan South, Tenn High and

Hampton). The Longhorns, though, give up 170yds. on the ground. East has not been held under 200 all season (if memory serves correct).

Special Teams will be even. The Longhorns return game (statistically) is as dangerous as Terrell Dockery is for the Canes.

My pick: East wins 27-20. Too many Seniors refusing to have their careers end early. Should be the best game of the 4. Hopefully the crowd is better than the Sullivan South play-off game at home in 2004. Go Canes!

Johnson County may have more offensive balance than any team East's D has seen this year (Carter and West may argue that). That will be a challenge. Johnson County's RB Jesse Atwood has been compared locally to McFall at Jeff Co. East had problems stopping him. A definite concern in my mind. But, East's run defense has come a long way since then. The Longhorns have been turnover prone - even when they win. Johnson County also has the long bus ride with a new collection of offensive players making their play-off debut (only 1 starter on Off. from last year). East has to jump on them early.

East's offense will have a relatively dry field to get that speed going. But, Johnson Co. won't be wowed by their speed (having seen Sullivan South, Tenn High and

Hampton). The Longhorns, though, give up 170yds. on the ground. East has not been held under 200 all season (if memory serves correct).

Special Teams will be even. The Longhorns return game (statistically) is as dangerous as Terrell Dockery is for the Canes.

My pick: East wins 27-20. Too many Seniors refusing to have their careers end early. Should be the best game of the 4. Hopefully the crowd is better than the Sullivan South play-off game at home in 2004. Go Canes!

Good assessment of tonight's game! :thumb:

As you can see, I have never posted here but this has been a good discusion of two teams that really dont know alot about each other. I believe the first quarter is key to this game. Win it on the scoreboard or simply by controlling it. This has been a suprise year for JCHS. We were picked at the bottom of the conference but this group of young men have just played every down and good things have happened. The few Seniors we have on the team have really played well and Ryan Humphrey has a good chance to play Division 1 ball in my opinion. They key has been the ability of our young players (especially Sophmores) to play at such a high level. You will see as many as 6 Sophmores on the field at times on the defense. On offense you will see as many as 4 including the quarterback, one receiver, and a lineman. Their class has had a ton of success at lower levels (middle school, little league) and doesnt like losing. I beleive this game will be a barn burner but expect less scoring than most. I also think the overall team speed is very close based on what I have read about East. JC-14 ME-10. Should be great.

How Bout Dem CANES!!!!!!!

pulled out a good one over those horns, 17-14. East had a couple of crucial fumbles that kept J CO. in the game longer than they should of been.. Great game tonight both teams, right down to the wire.. For anyone there, did you see where one could exploit the heck out of our Canes? Better get some fine tunning in before next Friday. Enjoy the W tonight fellas. Morristown representin reg 2....

East played sloppy. I think our poor pass defense is as much scheme as it is the player. They play off too much and with little pressure. I have always said if you are going to play zone then blitz. You can't give away the underneath stuff so easy. The canes will have to really play better on both sides of the ball to beat SS. JC really gave up on the run at times too quick and hurt themselves with penalties. It was a well officiated game less the PI call on an underthrown ball.