Sports injuries and precautions for this year

PHargis

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you haven't had problems with your ankles previously, then you really shouldn't wear ankles braces b/c the braces will actually make your ankles weaker than before. Now I will say that they do help keep your ankles from turning and schools are taking out the risk of waiting until someone turns an ankle before making them wear the braces but once you wear them then you always have to wear them b/c if you don't then you have a 60% chance of rolling them with greater damage than if you had never worn them and rolled your ankle the same way. The reason for this is your ankle becomes dependent on the brace and weakens b/c it doesn't have to be as strong. So if you haven't worn them before and have had no problem then continue what you're doing but if you have had problems get you a pair and don't play w/out them again.

Perhaps I am behind the times, and i'm not saying you are wrong, but what expertise do you have to make these statements?

Perhaps I am behind the times, and i'm not saying you are wrong, but what expertise do you have to make these statements?

While I don't know if this the case her, last year we wound up with 5 PT on this thread and the facts were substantiated by medical articles, etc..Nothing on here will substitute for going to your PT, orthopedist, etc. While I don't recognize the name of this poster it would be good to know if he is a professional in the field or associated with a Training room at a College/University as were some or as was discussed last year, someone from UT that had a part in changing UT women PT program when they had so many knee injuries. it would be good go mention if you are a professional.

While I don't know if this the case her, last year we wound up with 5 PT on this thread and the facts were substantiated by medical articles, etc..Nothing on here will substitute for going to your PT, orthopedist, etc. While I don't recognize the name of this poster it would be good to know if he is a professional in the field or associated with a Training room at a College/University as were some or as was discussed last year, someone from UT that had a part in changing UT women PT program when they had so many knee injuries. it would be good go mention if you are a professional.

I did not mean to discourage anyone who might want to use their experience from mentioning what has worked in the past as a suggestion to cut down injuries. Please post

I did not mean to discourage anyone who might want to use their experience from mentioning what has worked in the past as a suggestion to cut down injuries. Please post

I feel that alot of the injuries that occur are due to the atheletes not being in shape. All of the early season games I have watched the girls are not in shape to complete a quarter. When a athlete is not in shape she is more likely to get some type of injury. Most of the injuries this year I have seen are ankles and ACL.

I feel that alot of the injuries that occur are due to the atheletes not being in shape. All of the early season games I have watched the girls are not in shape to complete a quarter. When a athlete is not in shape she is more likely to get some type of injury. Most of the injuries this year I have seen are ankles and ACL.

The major injuries have always been those two. Now if you think about it what do you do to try to keep yourself injury free. Injuries are not fun. Basketball is. The thing you do is to strengthen your ankles or if you have had a seires of ankle injuries, you use braces or tape to cut down on the severity. Now I would like someone, a professional, to get into the acls and what a player can do to cut down the risk of an ACL> I know there are professionals out there.