Is the Maryville Hillsboro Winner the best team in state?

coachjohn

BA is the best team, in my opinion. I think year in year out, the D-II AAA champion is going to be the superior team. BA has the ideal blend of athletic ability and coaching. I think Maryville is extremely well coached, but lacks the athletes to be considered the best.

This is pretty pointless argument, though, considering they can't play each other. I think many people would give Maryville more credit if they were in 5A rather than 4A, but that's not their fault. I'd like to see Maryville move up to 5A and see what happens. I also wish we could throw all the schools, private and public, back into the same mix...but that's another topic for another day.

Edited by TheBigRedDog

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as an FYI, the clinic bowl, once it was no longer the state title game and was instead a preseason type game, wanted to create match-ups like this. The 4 teams they wanted last year were MBA, BA, Riverdale, and Maryville. Let's just say "half" of that group wasn't interested.

That's strange because I know Riverdale use to have preseason scrimmages against BA and MBA fairly regularly (they may still, I don't know). It seems this would offer Riverdale a little financial incentive to play the same game just in a more official setting. And I wouldn't think it would be a "scared" thing because they usually faired well in those scrimmages the best I recall. Riverdale didn't necessarily win them all, but I don't ever remember hearing of them getting blown out either. I think it was relatively even if not even favored towards Riverdale some.

Did you hear any reasons as to why this didn't happen?

That's strange because I know Riverdale use to have preseason scrimmages against BA and MBA fairly regularly (they may still, I don't know). It seems this would offer Riverdale a little financial incentive to play the same game just in a more official setting. And I wouldn't think it would be a "scared" thing because they usually faired well in those scrimmages the best I recall. Riverdale didn't necessarily win them all, but I don't ever remember hearing of them getting blown out either. I think it was relatively even if not even favored towards Riverdale some.

Riverdale still scrimmages MBA. RHS has "won" three in a row fairly handily; MBA had a similar run of "wins" in the late 90s/early 00s. Over the course of time (ten years or so), the scrimmages have been roughly "even" (given the relative lack of value of a scrimmage win, I'm using " ").

Perhaps the scheduling of McCallie this past year may be a sign of a change in Riverdale's willingness to play DII schools in the regular season, although I think there may be a post on this site where an RHS fan indicated the Riverdale-McCallie game was borne more so out of Kilbourne (OH) backing out of the return trip to RHS in 2006 and Riverdale scrambling to find a last-minute replacement (and McCallie needed a game as well).

BA is the best team, in my opinion. I think year in year out, the D-II AAA champion is going to be the superior team. BA has the ideal blend of athletic ability and coaching. I think Maryville is extremely well coached, but lacks the athletes to be considered the best.

This is pretty pointless argument, though, considering they can't play each other. I think many people would give Maryville more credit if they were in 5A rather than 4A, but that's not their fault. I'd like to see Maryville move up to 5A and see what happens. I also wish we could throw all the schools, private and public, back into the same mix...but that's another topic for another day.

I have seen Maryville, Alcoa, Ravenwood, Independance, Franklin, Brentwood Academy and McCallie play this year. DIIAAA had a very down year and the two best teams in that division played for the championship. Middle TN 5A regions are the best in the state, bar none. Several 5A's could have been in the championship but the two that are there have worked their tails off and proven that they belong. Good Luck to both! Alcoa has more "athletes" on the team then anyone in the state. But, Maryville is the best, and this is coming from an unbiased football fan.

They could only play who they were scheduled. In the playoffs played who they were bracketed just like Maryville. I haven't seen many teams that I thought they wouldn't walk thru. All this speculation is just a waste of time anyway. Burro's roll Saturday!!!!!!!!!

maryville hangs 40 on em, and they get there 3rd string in before the end of the third