NET Recruiting and Curt Phillips (and others)

lordofthescreens

When you really look close at North East Tennessee, you really don't have any good coaches here.

Let me just say this, There is a reason that "coaching" is better in the rest of the state. It is the same reason that very few D-1 scholarships are given out in NET.

It is called "ATHLETES". We have some very good "HIGH SCHOOL" athletes in NET, but that doesn't always translate into college athletic material. Go to other parts of the state and observe the athletes that these schools have. There really is no comparison.

You really do have great coaches in NET because they accomplish much more with much less than other coaches across the state.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me just say this, There is a reason that "coaching" is better in the rest of the state. It is the same reason that very few D-1 scholarships are given out in NET.

It is called "ATHLETES". We have some very good "HIGH SCHOOL" athletes in NET, but that doesn't always translate into college athletic material. Go to other parts of the state and observe the athletes that these schools have. There really is no comparison.

You really do have great coaches in NET because they accomplish much more with much less than other coaches across the state.

I have to agree to the point that better athletes make better coaches. I saw a poorly coached team of athletes from Memphis East High School win the 1999 State Championship. Why did they win?... They definitely did not outcoach Knox Central, they outathleted them.

NET Recruiting

I was recently amazed to see an article in the Knoxville paper touting the signing of a Knox Powell lineman to a football scholarship to Michigan State. Also the article indicated that in recent years Knox Powell had signed 5 kids to D-I scholarships while going 20-15. I am not knocking Knox Powell but it is really strange that we cannot produce similar results in NET. I think this is because coaches in NET do not have connections, do not work hard to get their kids recruited, and do not try to go outside of their easy contacts at Maryville College, Emory & Henry, UVA-Wise, Tusculum, Carson-Newman, etc. It is a shame and I think that several D-I prospects are left on the table in NET every year because the coaches are unwilling or unable to make the contacts. I would like to hear people's thoughts on this.

First off, you are wrong about how much time the area coaches put into helping kids find Colleges. Unless you have been through the process, you really do not understand how much work is involved. I am familiar with the DB staff and here are some facts. Coach Clark and staff have spent untold hours preparing video highlights for ANY Senior that is interested in pursuing football in college. Tape of my son was sent to 41 Colleges. Coach Clark spends time helping kids from other area schools too. He has many college coaches call him for his opinion about Atheletes from other High Schools and he always promotes kids from our Conference and area. Coach Clark is the person most responsible for the Coaches Clinic & Recruiting Fair that is held down in Pegion Forge after Christmas. Last year 21 High Schools(all Big East Schools and most local schools) had coaches present with Video tape of their players. 31 Colleges had coaches there to watch video and talk to the high school coaches about the kids. Kentucky was the only D1 school. Several Southern Conference schools were there. All the schools you mentioned above were there along with UT Chatt, Tenn Tech, App St, MTSU, Wofford. Colleges from Georgia, Alabama, Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee. There should be even more Colleges represented this year. Colleges will find the Atheletes. The biggest problem in our conference and area is that we do not have many D1 caliber atheletes. But our coaches work their butts off for these kids.