Who is the best non-AAU High School player?

NOMOORE

That's incredible. Camps are expensive. I wonder if the school helps with the cost.

Do they force them to play with the team or can they also choose to play AAU?

Who helps with the cost? Excellent question! Probably won't get an answer, However. I also wonder who covers the cost of the coach bus they take to away games? Us - the tax payers? Also, probably won't get an answer. County teams don't get such a luxury unless the booster club pays for it. The county sports programs get absolutely NO funding from the school or school district. The booster clubs must even pay the coach's pay stipend. It would be interesting to know how the city school sports programs are funded. No news media has been interested in doing a investigative report on this, probably because of the political fall out that would occur.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Memphis Central's entire team doesn't play AAU, they stay with the coach the entire summer playing at different camps. This is what the coach told me herself.

Coach, I know Ajanaku (sp.?) played AAU because my daughter's AAU team played against her. Now, Ajanaku may be a freshman this year and thus had not enrolled at Central before this past summer, but she did play AAU. Erica played AAU for years up until this past summer (again, my daughter's team played against them for years) and I believe Crutcher played before this summer but not sure.

Coach, I know Ajanaku (sp.?) played AAU because my daughter's AAU team played against her. Now, Ajanaku may be a freshman this year and thus had not enrolled at Central before this past summer, but she did play AAU. Erica played AAU for years up until this past summer (again, my daughter's team played against them for years) and I believe Crutcher played before this summer but not sure.

You are absolutely correct Philtenn..... As a matter of fact you could make the argument that the entire team played AAU this past summer since they all played as a unit (Memphis 10) with the "assistant" as their AAU coach. They participated in AAU nationals 17U/18U to accomodate the older players and definetly took their lumps with a majority young line up.

If the "50% rule or the no more than 3 players from one high school rule" is implemented; this will no longer be an option for any school to assemble a summer high school team.

I will say this: the only apparent advantage it seems to have is that the early assembled team will get out to a fast start. Meaning: the early assembled team will probably be at mid season form at the beginning of the season. However, by January every team that has assembled based on TSSAA rules, will be at mid season form and the early formed teams might have already peaked prior to Feb & March when it counts.

I personally think it is good for players to play with different players and coaches with different philosophies. It makes the player more rounded by having different roles based on the needs of a specific team.

As long as it is about the kids: that is what counts. Not AAU coaches or High School coaches. :(