Coacht T Rankings

wc1214

Do the success strength ratings rankings only apply to within each class of schools. For example AAA, AA, A, Division II or can there be some comparisons made with these rankings between these classifications? For example compare a strength success rating between a AA school with ranking of 130 and a single A or AAA school with a similiar rating.

Maybe Coach T can help us out with this one?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me start by saying I am a big CoachT fan and have always loved the site. I have never paid a great deal of attention to the strength of schedule or strength rankings. There are way too many factors and variables involved to get a perfect system. Usually by the end of the season they are fairly accurate.

Currently in AA my beloved Elizabethton Cyclones are ranked 40th in the strength rankings and 92nd in strength of schedule. If there are 40 AA teams in the state better than Elizabethton, I am a monkey's uncle. They have 5 losses and three are to out of state powerhouses. Their two in state losses are to Greeneville and South Greene, two very good teams. I watched Portland and Station Camp play yesterday in the Nera White tournament. Both are AA teams and are ranked above Elizabethton. Neither of those teams could match up with Elizabethton's size and I believe Elizabethton is probably 20 points better than Portland and 10 better than Station Camp. No slight intended toward either of those teams, but I am just using that example to point out the danger of putting too much stock in the early season strength rankings. Disagree if you must, but it is just my opinion and I do not have a proposal for a better system.

Elizabethton is 92nd in the strength of schedule because their opponents, and their opponent's opponents, etc have only won 43.26% of their games which ranks 92nd among all of the AA teams in Tennessee. Their season record is 6-6, 50%, against those opponents. That is all that we have to base the rankings on and they will be more and more accurate as the season progresses.

CoachT,

I've got them at 11-5. Are the out of state teams figured in? Three of those losses were to three very good teams from Virginia, Georgia, and Pennsylvania. Greeneville has a shot at the AAA state tournament. Granted most of their 11 wins are against relatively weak opponents, though Daniel Boone and Dobyns Bennett are decent AAA teams.

Each team's overall record is used to do the calculations.

The number one goal of the Strength+Success ranking is to publish a ranking that is completely objective and is simple enough for everyone to understand. Well, that's two goals, but you get the picture.

The list on the left side of the page is the win percentage of every team on your schedule averaged together. The entire schedule, not just completed games. This also means that if you play an undefeated team in your district three times in a season, all three of those meetings factor into the average.

On the right hand side, we take the team's average "opponent strength" from the left and add the team's own win percentage.

Oliver Springs' opponents are a combined 208-139 for a win percentage of 60%. It's own win percentage is 66.6% (10-5). Add 0.6 to 0.666 and you'll get 1.26, which ranks them 11th on the right hand side.

There's no magic to it, it just is what it is.

What hurts Elizabethton is the four out-of-state teams (whose records don't factor in) and the four games against winless teams in their district. In addition, only one district opponent has a winning record (South Greene at 9-4). You can look here to see what I'm talking about.

Jamoz,

Thanks for the more detailed explanation. Like you said, it is what it is, and I appreciate the fact that it is available. I didn't think there would be any way to factor in those out of state losses. District 1 AA has three pretty good teams and the others are very weak. This will always push Elizabethton's schedule strength down. This Cyclone team may not be as good as the state team two years ago, but I honestly believe they are at least a top 20 AA team. If they play well the rest of the way they will creep back up the strength rankings.

coachh17

As previously stated the intended purpose of Coach T rankings was for within each classification.

This is as good of an overall ranking system which seems to get better as more games are played and figured into the equations.

Edited by wc1214