Potter named Head COach at Brentwood A.

WarriorFan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ralph Potter, McCallie varsity football coach since 1997, announced he will become the athletics director and varsity football coach for Brentwood Academy in Nashville, effective January 3.

The 1981 graduate of McCallie and son of 21-year head coach Pete Potter served as coach for a decade, earning a record of 76-37 during that time. His 2001 team went undefeated and won the state championship, and the Blue Tornado fell short in the state finals two other times.

"Of course we're sorry to see Ralph leave McCallie," said Athletic Director Bill Cherry. "Except for a brief period, he has been part of the McCallie family since his father became our head coach while Ralph was in elementary school. He has done a wonderful job leading our football program, and we wish him well with his new challenge."

Kenny Sholl, Head of McCallie's Upper School, said the school would immediately begin its search to replace Mr. Potter. "This is a wonderful place to teach and coach, and we look forward to finding an excellent coach, who is an outstanding role model, to work with our young men."

"We wish Coach Potter our best," said Headmaster Kirk Walker. "We appreciate his years of dedicated service to McCallie as both a coach and a teacher."

If I am looking at the stats right, Coach Potter is 7-10 against BA since he became head coach in 1997. It appears that MBA is 10-4 against BA since 1997 , but there has been more than one coach (when did Coach Rutledge take over?). Does another coach have a better record against BA for more than 3 games?

Edited by Brandon100

I know this has been discussed before but why would he leave McCallie for MBA? Isn't this a lateral move from the school he played at to anothe school at the same level? Surely it is not just a financial move. I would think McCallie has given him what he needed.

It's Brentwood Academy , not MBA :)

Edited by Brandon100

I know this has been discussed before but why would he leave McCallie for MBA? Isn't this a lateral move from the school he played at to anothe school at the same level? Surely it is not just a financial move. I would think McCallie has given him what he needed.

The BA job is a promotion....I should leave it at that, just to make uncfan lose his mind at me :) It is a promotion, however, because he is also the athletic director at BA. McCallie has an athletic director that will be there for a while.

The BA job is a promotion....I should leave it at that, just to make uncfan lose his mind at me :) It is a promotion, however, because he is also the athletic director at BA. McCallie has an athletic director that will be there for a while.

I just hope Potter can juggle both Head Football and athletic director. Not saying he cant do it, becuase i believe he can. its just that they play in such an aggressive divison that its gotta be hard to not show more focus towards one, while neglecting the other! I know at McCallie this problem never ocurred, due to the fact that Potter was a History teacher.Not taking anything away from teachers who are also coaches but he only taught maybe 1 or 2 classes, leaving the rest of his time to focus on football! good luck Potter, you will be greatly missed~! :):)

Here is the official release:

For Immediate Release

DATE: January 1, 2007

Ralph Potter Named Brentwood Academy Football Coach

Following a nationwide search, Brentwood Academy Headmaster Curt Masters has announced the hiring of Ralph Potter of Chattanooga to serve as head football coach and as athletic director.

Coach Potter, a highly successful coach and leader at The McCallie School in Chattanooga, brings strong experience in mentoring, teaching and coaching. With a major in history education, and a minor in English, he brings an academic background and teaching experience as well as his work in the athletic arena.

In addition to his role as head coach at McCallie for the past eight years, he has been a Girls Track Coach at both Hixson High School and Girls Preparatory School, Girls' Head Basketball Coach at GPS, and has worked with baseball at various levels as well. He has also served as Fellowship of Christian Athletes faculty sponsor and an Honor Council advisor.

Given his deep roots in the Chattanooga area, Brentwood Academy feels fortunate to be able to have him to join us. Potter's father, Pete Potter, coached at McCallie, Potter himself is a 1981 McCallie graduate and a graduate of UT Chattanooga. Potter's experience in this exceptionally competitive environment will help make this a smooth transition, as he is familiar with Brentwood Academy and with the teams in the league and community.

His wife, Jennifer, is also an experienced educator and currently teaches at Hickory Valley Christian School. They are the parents of a son and a daughter.

According to Headmaster Curt Masters, "Ralph Potter's spiritual depth and consistent focus on the value of each person has helped to develop strong teams and coaches who understand the real purpose of athletics. This personal focus, and his energy and dedication, make him an ideal addition to the Brentwood Academy team of faculty and staff, dedicated to nurturing and challenging the whole person - body, mind, and spirit - to the glory of God. I look forward to working with Coach Potter.

Potter will join the Brentwood Academy faculty immediately.

I just hope Potter can juggle both Head Football and athletic director. Not saying he cant do it, becuase i believe he can. its just that they play in such an aggressive divison that its gotta be hard to not show more focus towards one, while neglecting the other! I know at McCallie this problem never ocurred, due to the fact that Potter was a History teacher.Not taking anything away from teachers who are also coaches but he only taught maybe 1 or 2 classes, leaving the rest of his time to focus on football! good luck Potter, you will be greatly missed~! :):)

he will adjust.......

Here is the official release:

For Immediate Release

DATE: January 1, 2007

Ralph Potter Named Brentwood Academy Football Coach

Following a nationwide search, Brentwood Academy Headmaster Curt Masters has announced the hiring of Ralph Potter of Chattanooga to serve as head football coach and as athletic director.

Coach Potter, a highly successful coach and leader at The McCallie School in Chattanooga, brings strong experience in mentoring, teaching and coaching. With a major in history education, and a minor in English, he brings an academic background and teaching experience as well as his work in the athletic arena.

In addition to his role as head coach at McCallie for the past eight years, he has been a Girls Track Coach at both Hixson High School and Girls Preparatory School, Girls' Head Basketball Coach at GPS, and has worked with baseball at various levels as well. He has also served as Fellowship of Christian Athletes faculty sponsor and an Honor Council advisor.

Given his deep roots in the Chattanooga area, Brentwood Academy feels fortunate to be able to have him to join us. Potter's father, Pete Potter, coached at McCallie, Potter himself is a 1981 McCallie graduate and a graduate of UT Chattanooga. Potter's experience in this exceptionally competitive environment will help make this a smooth transition, as he is familiar with Brentwood Academy and with the teams in the league and community.

His wife, Jennifer, is also an experienced educator and currently teaches at Hickory Valley Christian School. They are the parents of a son and a daughter.

According to Headmaster Curt Masters, "Ralph Potter's spiritual depth and consistent focus on the value of each person has helped to develop strong teams and coaches who understand the real purpose of athletics. This personal focus, and his energy and dedication, make him an ideal addition to the Brentwood Academy team of faculty and staff, dedicated to nurturing and challenging the whole person - body, mind, and spirit - to the glory of God. I look forward to working with Coach Potter.

Potter will join the Brentwood Academy faculty immediately.

More than I need to know......Potter is THE man for BA......

:):) One thing that really bothers me is the whole thing about Potter joining the BA staff right away! IM confused on exactly when he will begin he duties at BA! Although a new chapter has began in his life, he hasnt ended the perivuos chapter at mccallie, or with his players! Dont you think he owes it to them to at least address them about the move!( which he hasnt done yet).. thoughts.. comments.. anything please? :)

:):) One thing that really bothers me is the whole thing about Potter joining the BA staff right away! IM confused on exactly when he will begin he duties at BA! Although a new chapter has began in his life, he hasnt ended the perivuos chapter at mccallie, or with his players! Dont you think he owes it to them to at least address them about the move!( which he hasnt done yet).. thoughts.. comments.. anything please? :)

Better be quick....he is on the BA payroll in less than about 36 hours! Edited by Brandon100