MBA

Footballfan15

If you really believe that the reason he was fired is that "he can't be controlled" then you have no idea what's going on. Not a clue. That couldn't be further from the truth. Whether people like you approve of the job Gioia's done is up to you. But to get in a public forum and write these third grade level diatribes about a good man, and publicly embarass our school like this...it's shameful. I'm embarassed to have people like you in our fold. I would expect a little class and dignity, but I guess that all went out the window with CBG's favorite graduation banner.

I fully expect to hear that from the legions of Gioia bashers over the next few weeks. Anyone who knows at all what has gone on--again, I believe Big Red Dog was the one who identified it early last season--knows that there have been problems all around. To attribute it to the fact that "JR can't be controlled" just shows how far from the truth you are.

You are all wrong and you know it. The truth hurts. I did not embarass your school, your Headmaster and they way he handled this situation did. You can use all the smoke and mirrors you want, however, I can see through it for I know more than you realize. As you see, I know what's going on. My prior statements have proven to be fact prior to being made public. By the way, where is your Headmaster? It is fine for you to defend MBA, as you should, however, don't spew your rhetoric with me. It is shameless what you are doing. When a rat is a rat, it is a rat. Nothing you can say can change this. And as Jethro Bodine said, I gradutated from the 3rd grade, I guess you can comprehend!

As for class and dignity, why doesn't the Headmaster show some. What happened yesterday morning prior to Coach Rutledge coming in? I'll tell you what, a stabbing in the back took place. Don't know what I am talking about, ask somebody on campus.

Your comment about CBG's banner comment throwing class and dignity out the window, it was flying around a few years ago. Once again you are pointing a finger elswhere rather than the problem.

Remember, when you point your finger at me, 4 more are pointed at you.

Redtwin, I am not sure who CR is, however, you can go to your post and hit "DELETE", just like you did earlier.

"Do you smell what the Rock is cooking"? from The Rock

The Hill has been tainted the Headmaster flees the country. Just a coincidence, NOT!!!!

Edited by hoosierdad

You are all wrong and you know it. The truth hurts. I did not embarass your school, your Headmaster and they way he handled this situation did. You can use all the smoke and mirrors you want, however, I can see through it for I know more than you realize. As you see, I know what's going on. My prior statements have proven to be fact prior to being made public. By the way, where is your Headmaster? It is fine for you to defend MBA, as you should, however, don't spew your rhetoric with me. It is shameless what you are doing. When a rat is a rat, it is a rat. Nothing you can say can change this. And as Jethro Bodine said, I gradutated from the 3rd grade, I guess you can comprehend!

As for class and dignity, why doesn't the Headmaster show some. What happened yesterday morning prior to Coach Rutledge coming in? I'll tell you what, a stabbing in the back took place. Don't know what I am talking about, ask somebody on campus.

Your comment about CBG's banner comment throwing class and dignity out the window, it was flying around a few years ago. Once again you are pointing a finger elswhere rather than the problem.

Remember, when you point your finger at me, 4 more are pointed at you.

Redtwin, I am not sure who CR is, however, you can go to your post and hit "DELETE", just like you did earlier.

"Do you smell what the Rock is cooking"? from The Rock

The Hill has been tainted the Headmaster flees the country. Just a coincidence, NOT!!!!

I'm glad you wrote "your school" and not "our school." That you didn't go there resotres a lot of my confidence in the school.

I'm glad you wrote "your school" and not "our school." That you didn't go there resotres a lot of my confidence in the school.

I'm glad I could restore your confidence in the school. For you see, I said "your school" because I was talking to you and your post. Certainly, you learned that at school? Oops, I bet I crushed your confidence again. Maybe it is starting rub off on us.......... :rolleyes:

Edited by hoosierdad

big red big blue & red twin,

Dont't slam hoosierdad for his statements as they are true. He may not have attended MBA but he may have been on the board of trust at one point and time.

What has hoosier dad or myself said that is not true? He called the shot before more than 5 people knew what was taking place.

How many good football coaches and athletic directors have been ask to leave by the G-Man?

Did the G-Man tell Jeff that he would allow him to tell his staff and players before the story went public?

Did the G-Man meet with the staff before Jeff got to school and tell them that Jeff was not going to be the head football coach?

Did the G-Man leave for Europe on a school trip after the press conference?

He could have fired Jeff over a month ago but he picked his time so that he would be out of the country and would not have to take the heat for his actions.

Yes, the man has done many good things for MBA (new buildings and raised academic standards) but he is not trustworthy and he has no people skills.

Who is the most successful coach that is still on the staff at MBA? Should he be updating his resume?

Redtwin, Why did you delete your post?

I would encourage you to continue your support for Montgomery Bell Academy but in no way would I stand behind the man that has the title of headmaster. Some of us know that the G-Man has people monitor this site for him and he takes that Blackberry everywhere he goes so why don't you send him this info ASAP.

Edited by cbg

Everyone should consider the history here when you are evaluating this. When RB left for Ensworth in 2001, it was a huge, huge, huge blow to BG. It is my understanding that he (already unpopular) spent whatever remaining bit of goodwill he had left to stand up to RB as he did. Obviously not only was RB a highly successful coach, presiding over probably the greatest run in MBA football history, but a highly popular man among all the alumni from both his era and older eras. And to top it off, he's leaving for Ensworth, with whom MBA will now be competing for students. The dissatisfaction with him just about boiled over at that point.

So what does he do? Hires a coach who promptly goes out and wins state titles in his first 2 years. Who is also a hugely popular figure, embraced by all the alumni, and a great ambassador for the school. In short, another great man who was also successful in every regard.

It was absolutely a home run for BG. Best case scenario, hands down. He had stood up to RB, gambled all of his political capital, and come up aces. MBA was on top of the world again. Maybe you will recall the gloating letter he sent out in 2003 following the state title to all the alums. It was in very poor taste, imo. He basically did everything but say "see, we can win with my guy and don't need RB." But regardless, he was very proud of his hire and the results he had produced. This was an outcome he could, and did, take a lot of credit for.

So why on earth would he not go to great lengths to make sure that his hire--the man he hand picked--didn't stay around for a long time and amass a bunch of titles, if for no other reason than just to glorify himself? It is my impression that JR's personality is a lot different from RB's. RB was a guy who was always seeking more control, more influence, and right or wrong, that was a threat to BG. JR by all accounts is the exact opposite--he wanted to do less (i.e., part of the problem here) and be a guy who just coached football and schmoozed with alumni. So, in my estimation, this is nothing like what went down with RB. So what type of conflict could arise here?

But here is the kicker--don't you think, most of all, the BG wanted nothing more that to beat Ensworth and RB with the guy he hired? And now he's going to fire him, just before the opportunity arises to start playing against Ensworth? It makes no sense at all.

big red big blue & red twin,

Dont't slam hoosierdad for his statements as they are true. He may not have attended MBA but he may have been on the board of trust at one point and time.

If he botched the events of yesterday, then yes, it's not good. I don't know those facts, so I can't comment one way or the other.

I don't know how else to say it. It is my impression, based on the things I've heard, that BG did not want to fire JR. He was basically given his marching orders by some "powers behind the throne." JR was his guy. His hire. There was grumbling both within MBA (from faculty dissatisfied with his job as AD) and outside MBA (influential alums dissatisfied with the job he's done as FB coach). So the absolute worst thing JR could have done was clandestinely start talking with BA about succeeding Carlton Flatt. Word made it to several influential alums (and board members) that JR had accepted the BA job in November. Again, my impression is that everything snowballed from there. Apparently there were some alumni events on the road at which some unflattering things were aired.

People keep mentioning Daniel McGugin as the next coach. That kid has many, many career opportunities both in and out of football. He was a rising young head FB coach at FRA with plenty of opportunity to ascend either higher in HS football or into the college ranks. Do you think he and his family would support him taking a job as running backs coach at MBA if they weren't confident in BG?

Yes, people don't like BG. I'm well aware of that. I have a good impression of him, like KW, based on the limited interaction I've had with him at various events over the years. I applaud his efforts to diversify the student body and make changes that aren't popular but are "right." I have heard the story about Damon Regen. If it's true, then it's shameful and disgraceful. I will just say that the friends of mine who work there speak very highly of him. Not just "he's fine." or "he's okay." They genuinely like him. It's not made up. It's not putting on act so their kids can get into school (one has all girls) eventually. They enjoy working for him and would leave if they didn't. Maybe some older faculty with no other options just toe the line until retirement. But not young folks who forgo career opportunities to work over there.

Edited by big red big blue

I'm not slamming anyone. I'm just stating what I know to be true. Coach Rutledge and Brad Gioia came to a mutual understanding that it was time to move on after several months of discussion. The BA interview may have helped ice the cake, but this has been a long time coming. Hoosierdad may have posted on here an hour before the press announcement was made, but there were plenty of people around the MBA community who could have told you what was going to happen before that. It was not surprising. This now makes 2 head coaches/athletic directors that have left MBA under BG. Ricky left for an exceptional opening that offered unparalleled growth in his career, a raise, and an opportunity to be around both of his children. Now, we have Coach Rutledge leaving. I haven't seen BG chasing anyone away from the campus. As far as leaving for Europe on a school trip, I didn't buy the ticket, but I'm willing to bet that the ticket was purchased before noon yesterday. I didn't delete my post; my brother did, as both of us use this screen name. He wanted to make a different post, so I said sure. As far as the current headmaster goes, he can't please all the people all the time. I have learned this first hand being in an administrative position over a hundred or so people, and I can't imagine how much more difficult it is for BG. I have also learned that the people you can't please tend to be the most vocal about their satisfaction level. There are plenty in the MBA community who like BG and there are plenty who don't. All I know is that under his guidance, the athletic department has achieved unprecedented success, particularly in football, as well as my personal interest, lacrosse, alumni involvement and giving are at the highest levels ever, academic standards have increased, college admissions are strong, the campus has been expanded and upgraded, and the arts are being developed more than ever before. I will continue to support the school with my time and money (more time than money at this stage in my life) regardless of the headmaster's name, and I will cheer for the football team next year, just like I did this year. I hope that when the exploratory committee is formed, it looks at candidates from across the nation, as well as some strong candidates currently on staff, and I hope they pick the best man for the job. As far as I'm concerned MBA is still the premiere private school in Nashville, and it will continue to be for a long time if current standards are maintained. Now, I am certainly not the most knowledgeable person about MBA, nor am I the most connected, but I do know a thing or two, and I feel pretty good about what I know.

I'm not slamming anyone. I'm just stating what I know to be true. Coach Rutledge and Brad Gioia came to a mutual understanding that it was time to move on after several months of discussion. The BA interview may have helped ice the cake, but this has been a long time coming. Hoosierdad may have posted on here an hour before the press announcement was made, but there were plenty of people around the MBA community who could have told you what was going to happen before that. It was not surprising. This now makes 2 head coaches/athletic directors that have left MBA under BG. Ricky left for an exceptional opening that offered unparalleled growth in his career, a raise, and an opportunity to be around both of his children. Now, we have Coach Rutledge leaving. I haven't seen BG chasing anyone away from the campus. As far as leaving for Europe on a school trip, I didn't buy the ticket, but I'm willing to bet that the ticket was purchased before noon yesterday. I didn't delete my post; my brother did, as both of us use this screen name. He wanted to make a different post, so I said sure. As far as the current headmaster goes, he can't please all the people all the time. I have learned this first hand being in an administrative position over a hundred or so people, and I can't imagine how much more difficult it is for BG. I have also learned that the people you can't please tend to be the most vocal about their satisfaction level. There are plenty in the MBA community who like BG and there are plenty who don't. All I know is that under his guidance, the athletic department has achieved unprecedented success, particularly in football, as well as my personal interest, lacrosse, alumni involvement and giving are at the highest levels ever, academic standards have increased, college admissions are strong, the campus has been expanded and upgraded, and the arts are being developed more than ever before. I will continue to support the school with my time and money (more time than money at this stage in my life) regardless of the headmaster's name, and I will cheer for the football team next year, just like I did this year. I hope that when the exploratory committee is formed, it looks at candidates from across the nation, as well as some strong candidates currently on staff, and I hope they pick the best man for the job. As far as I'm concerned MBA is still the premiere private school in Nashville, and it will continue to be for a long time if current standards are maintained. Now, I am certainly not the most knowledgeable person about MBA, nor am I the most connected, but I do know a thing or two, and I feel pretty good about what I know.

I posted over an hour prior to the disgrace that occured yesterday with details as to what happened. I was advised I did not know what I was talking about when I expanded. Now you say people around the community knew about it in advance. Well, if this is true, you just confirmed, I do know what is going on. MBA may be the premiere private school in Nashville, however, it does not change the disgraceful handling of yesterday's actions.

You will notice I copied your post, I did not want you hitting the "Delete" button again, just like the Headmaster. Common theme, I doubt it. As for having his plane ticket in advance of yesterday, the more pertinent question should be, why did he wait until yesterday to hit his "Delete" button? He could have done this before now, however, waited until yesterday so that he could leave town and not face the firestorm. You should be proud!

Big Red Big Blue, you said I didn't have a clue, well, everything I have said happened, and now you are saying you don't know the facts from yesterday. I have stated facts that have not been disputed! I think enough has been said.

P.S. Go Wolves, sorry USC. :thumb:

I think we call all agree on one thing, a good man was "Deleted" yesterday and it was not handled properly. Not the first time this has happened and I am sure will not be the last time.

What is that smell?

Edited by hoosierdad

Redtwin--Good post. Well said.

Big Red Big Blue, you said I didn't have a clue, well, everything I have said happened, and now you are saying you don't know the facts from yesterday. I have stated facts that have not been disputed! I think enough has been said.

I said you didn't have a clue because you wrote this:

"See the problem with Coach Bowers and Coach Rutledge, they could not be controlled. There is a "Little Man" syndrome going on here and if you can't see it, than you can't see the forrest for the trees."

and if you still think the reason that JR is no longer MBA coach is because he "can't be controlled," then you still don't have a clue.

I don't know the facts from yesterday. So I'm not commenting one way or the other until I learn more. Clearly you know more about the events of yesterday than I do, but I will point out that Harold Huggins wrote in yesterday's City Paper (which was in my inbox when I got to work at 8 EST) that JR might be out and that a press conference was scheduled for 12:00. But if you think the reason for his leaving is "control" issues then you don't know what you're talking about.

You are right, I have no clue (????), however, still nothing I have said has been disputed and cbg asked questions that have not been answered. People (puppets) get on here and defend the Headmaster without knowing exactly what transpired. When somebody tells you, people get defensive. As for the City Paper, "Jeff Rutledge might be out", I told you specifically, and, what transpired. I beat the City Paper to the punch. I would venture to say that I offered more information.

I know it pains you, but I do have a clue. I know what transpired yesterday and before hand.

Desmond?

Edited by hoosierdad