A message to the Mafia

endangered_species

Dear Mafia,

I was present tonight for the game against MBA. Despite the lopsided score of the first half, MBA came to play and provided a very good game. Tonight was one of the closest games BA has had with MBA in quite a while. I was very impressed with the boys from West End and the effort they put forth. However, I was not impressed with you. As the mafia began to warm up at the end of the girl's game I relived my mafia days in my head and was very excited to see what this year's mafia could do. The mafia always comes out strong for tip off and the first quarter of the game, and you kept this tradition strong, helping our Eagles bust out to a quick start and gain an early lead. As the lead grew larger I will admit I wasn't that surprised to see the mafia begin to calm down. But as a mafia alumni, I was surprised to see the Mafia fail to respond as MBA began making their run in the 2nd half and get themselves back into the game. MBA had control of the game the 2nd half and the mafia did nothing to try and change that. What is going on with the mafia? In years past it didn't matter if we were up by 30 or 13 against MBA, the mafia always made their presence known the entire game. I would have forgotten you guys existed if it weren't for the "I Believe..." chant the last minute of the game. You guys didn't even pull out the "woosh" on free throws until the last 30 seconds of the game. That is probably the easiest cheer in the book. If this is how the mafia is going to act during a close game at home against our biggest rival, I'm not sure I want to know how things will be against other teams. Get your act together mafia, tonight is not how you are going to help our boys win Five.

Signed,

A disappointed Mafia Alumni

You don't know what you are talking about. Last year, the seniors were nothing. We, the 2007 seniors, did everything. I know you want to think you were special, but you did absolutely nothing. Many times this year the fans have told us that it is the loudest they have ever heard the Mafia. As for the game, we did not have backup from the other classes. The front lines were ready, but everyone else was socializing. I can't do anyhting about that. It is not worth cheering if its just a few people. People want to just come to games not caring about the game. They just want to talk to everyone else. If this is who I think it is , then you should stop talking because you have never done anything for the Mafia. This is Jay Clark by the way. I am not afraid to hide behind my name.

Signed,

Jay Clark

No need for a BA Civil War, we get enough crap from everybody else on here. There's no doubt that the core of the '06 and '07 classes did and still do a great job in creating one of the best fan sections anywhere. The problem no doubt lies in all those that are not as interested. But all schools have their hardcore fans and those that see it as more of a social event, that's just reality. Jay, I think that it's very arrogant to think that our class did NOTHING in the mafia.The point of the mafia was to support our basketball team, not to try to be superior to another grade. At the same time, I give you guys credit, it seems that you are keeping the mafia alive very well even without all the excitement that Brandan and Josh created. Good luck to BA this year, make it 5 straight. -dlew

The point of my post was not to bring on a class of '06/'07 war. Personal attacks aside, its quite a stretch to say the class of '06 did nothing for last year's mafia. The class of '06 and class of '07 were both very much involved in last year's mafia, each bringing different things to the table. If you were to remove either class, last year's mafia would have been very different. Last year's mafia is not the mafia in question though. Maybe I caught the mafia on a down night, but I was sad to see the lack of enthusiasm as the game wore on. I'm glad to know the front lines were ready, but it would have been nice to hear them. There is no doubt in my mind that this years mafia is awesome when you bring your A game, but the A game was not brought last Friday night, which is kind of disheartening since the game was against MBA in our own house.

I'll refrain from posting my name for the purpose of other discussions, but should you want to know who you are talking to you'll find me front and center on page 188 in the 2006 year book.