Tennessean Top Ten

Big Mexican

QUOTE(WildcatsBasketball_3 @ Jan 15 2007 - 06:00 PM) 826332928[/snapback]

I'm not sure if I agree with Shelbyville being so high.They haven't looked that great this year except in some games.

I think "Wildcat" is off base here. Shelbyville beat Knoxville Webb at home and lost to WC at WC. WC will get another shot at MJ at home, and Shelbyville will get another shot at WC at home. Cleveland was really down with injuries when it lost to Livingston Academy. Shelbyville has an occasional weak team (by their usual standards), but I would not consider this year to be a weak year. I believe they are stronger than last year's state runner-up team. That Shelbyville and Cleveland are nationally ranked with this year's rosters is not a fluke. If injured players return to form, come playoff time, I think you'll see the cream rise to the top with Cleveland, Shelbyville, MJ, WC and either Bartlett and/or Memphis East. But for now I would agree with the state AAA rankings and the Tennessean midstate rankings.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(PHargis @ Jan 15 2007 - 08:15 AM) 826332311[/snapback]

True, this looks very good for Cookeville and while not quite as scientific as one would like, certainly makes a good case and wonder why the Cavs had no respect in this poll. They are the most overlooked team in the poll. Should be in the 7th spot at least.

QUOTE(worthyone @ Jan 15 2007 - 07:09 PM) 826333010[/snapback]

Yeah, that's why they are ranked No. 1 in the state in Class AAA.

Cookville is not a top 10 team. They got blew out by Riverdale and Shelbyville. They barly beat a weak Franklin Co. and a weak Lebanon. They are a good team, but I'm not sure they are better than any of the teams on this list.

As for Shelbyville, They are NOT #1 in the state. I saw them play earlier and got lucky and won against Lincoln Co on a last second shot at Shelbyville. I will see them play again tonight.

If Shelbyville is #22 in the nation, there are about 4 other teams in Tennessee that should be in the top 20 in the nation.

I admit it when I'm wrong. Looks like last night Cookville proved me wrong. congradulations Cookville.

Now to boast when I'm right. Um, Shelbyville got beat on their home floor. What will they fall to? Maybe #3 in state and #23 in nation? If they do, Mt. Juliet, Cleavland, WC, Smyrna, and maybe one or two more should be in the top 20.

QUOTE(worthyone @ Jan 16 2007 - 09:00 AM) 826333566[/snapback]

Don't think you can judge a team from one game.

Some teams simply match up well with another. I think that is the case with Lincoln Co. and Shelbyville.

I'm not just going by one game. I have seen them play once but I have watched scores and talked to others which have seen them play in other games. They may be a top 5 in the state, but NOT #1.

Their common opponents with Mt Juliet, MJ has done better on ALL of them.

McGavock / MJ + 14

Smyrna / MJ + 8

Wilson Central / MJ + 12

Lexington Catholic / MJ + 2

QUOTE(jrm2x @ Jan 15 2007 - 11:17 PM) 826333352[/snapback]

They have played #1 schedule in state. Shelbyville has Losses to Wilson Central, Knox Webb. MJ only one loss should be No. 1. WC has 4 losses and Shelbyville blew out Riverdale earlier. Also Most of the other teams there are AA or A (ie SCHS easily defeated Upperman and Clarkrange) I rest my case/

I don't have anything against Shelbyville, but their win was anything but easy. 8 points did not give justice to how close it was and the 15 missed free throws and several lay-ups could have swung the 8 points the other way. They would probably beat C-range 9 out of 10, but that was not a easy win. If not for a missed box out when you guys were up by four with 2 minutes left that lead to a couple more points it was getting very interesting. Would like to play Smyrna with a healthy team and all our starters there, believe it would have been better also. So go beat some other dead horse, not ours.

QUOTE(trueline @ Jan 15 2007 - 07:07 AM) 826332295[/snapback]

1 Mt. Juliet (18-1)

2 Shelbyville (19-2)

3 Riverdale (20-2)

4 Upperman (21-1)

5 Wilson Central (15-4)

6 Smyrna (15-3)

7 Clarkrange (18-2)

8 Livingston Acad. (17-4)

9 Red Boiling Springs (20-1)

10 Antioch (19-3)

They prefice this with the following statement: "The "Top 10" is an unscientific poll in which our prep writers, with input from area coaches, select the best teams in our coverage area regardless of classification".

Unscientific or not, I think it is very misleading to include all classifications in one poll. For example, below is a comparison of schedules of four of the top ten teams and Cookeville against common opponents and just to be clear, Cookeville is not a top ten team:

Numbers posted are margin of victory or defeat

Upperman/ Cookeville

Franklin Co. +11/ +4

Howard +43/ +29

Jackson Co. +10,+22/ +4,+28

Oliver Sp. +14/ +14

Shelbyville -24/ -18

Clarkrange/ Cookeville

Oliver Sp. +8/ +14

Jackson Co. +18/ +4,+28

Cumberland Co+15/ +35,+24

Lebanon +2/ +3

Pickett Co. +22/ +35

Livingston Acad./ Cookeville

Head to Head -13/ +13

Pickett Co. +18,+3/ +35

Jackson co. +5/ +28,+4

Red Boiling/ Cookeville

Pickett Co. +14/ +35

Jackson Co. +4,+4/ +28,+4

I agree concerning the poll being a joke.

After looking at this poll, it is obvious that it must be a joke of some kind. I guess some idiot or idiots got together and threw names out until they came up with this crap. Just my opinion.

Some of the teams belong, some do not. Comparing between classes is impossible. Do not try to do it or you will come out looking like an idiot as the author of this poll does. Once again, just my opinion.

I guess this was from the Tennessean. They are a joke too.

QUOTE(jamieroper @ Jan 16 2007 - 12:15 PM) 826333772[/snapback]

I agree concerning the poll being a joke.

After looking at this poll, it is obvious that it must be a joke of some kind. I guess some idiot or idiots got together and threw names out until they came up with this crap. Just my opinion.

Some of the teams belong, some do not. Comparing between classes is impossible. Do not try to do it or you will come out looking like an idiot as the author of this poll does. Once again, just my opinion.

I guess this was from the Tennessean. They are a joke too.

They shouldn't try to combine classes. I do think they do a better job than the AP state poll.

People! People!................... Please, disregard these polls! They matter not!

We have a tournament to decide such things. You have to get to the 3rd of March. As of that night the team that goes 4-0 will be number one. You do realize the same ppl picking these and writing the programs that make these polls all picked Ohio State for the NCAA Div I Football Championship.

If MJ doesn't make it outta Region 4, #1 doesn't matter, if Shelbyville gets beat in the Region 4 tourney before the finals they are gone also...........

Time,,,,,,,,,, time will take care of this matter. If you wish to test the waters of high caliber AAA basketball. If there is a schedule opening, the "grill" will be also.

ok i stand corrected.I was judging Shelbyville on the games i've seen them play and heard talked about.I should have researched their games before i posted but in no way was I taking away from Shelbyville.They are a great team I just wasn't sure if they should have been that high in the state polls but now looking at some of their wins, maybe they should be.I guess Lincoln Co. just matched up well as "worthyone" said earlier. but either way, it should be a tough battle Friday night in district.

QUOTE(FlatCreekJim @ Jan 16 2007 - 05:20 PM) 826334048[/snapback]

People! People!................... Please, disregard these polls! They matter not!

We have a tournament to decide such things. You have to get to the 3rd of March. As of that night the team that goes 4-0 will be number one. You do realize the same ppl picking these and writing the programs that make these polls all picked Ohio State for the NCAA Div I Football Championship.

If MJ doesn't make it outta Region 4, #1 doesn't matter, if Shelbyville gets beat in the Region 4 tourney before the finals they are gone also...........

Time,,,,,,,,,, time will take care of this matter. If you wish to test the waters of high caliber AAA basketball. If there is a schedule opening, the "grill" will be also.

No, you are right, Mt. Juliet will not make it out of Region 4. They won't even make in into region 4. They are in region 5. Much tougher region.