East TN teams ranked #1

redflag1

QUOTE(what_a_game @ Jan 18 2007 - 04:11 PM) 826336677[/snapback]

I agree...it seems that Greeneville has been in a slump the last few games, despite pulling out victories. I think they have the potential to really get hot, but it's going to have to happen soon for them to take home state. I don't think it would be too awful for them to get beat before qualifying starts for the state. The number one ranking seems distracting to them I think. All together, Coach Duncan should have them in fine shape for the State, best of luck to them.

Duncan was wailing on them pretty good at the Alcoa game about taking the open shots. The just were not shooting the ball...period. Better fix that quick.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Snowman16 @ Jan 22 2007 - 01:20 PM) 826341100[/snapback]

well, I've had a lot of weekend games and practices and am trying to spend more time away from the sport so I don't get burnt out before tourney time

Looking forward to your trip to GreenEVIL in Friday. Seems like you guys haven't played in forever...you schedule says you haven't had a game since the 12th. Rust isn't gonna be a problem on Friday, is it?

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(redflag1 @ Jan 17 2007 - 12:19 PM) 826334946[/snapback]

First of all I mean no disrespect to East Tn Teams since I too once played ball in East Tn. My comment is concerning East TN teams being ranking #1 or 2 in the state. For years east tn has won many state championships in football by all classifications. However, how many east tn teams have won state titles in boys basketball other than single A teams in say the last 10 years? Heck, go back 20 years. I don't have the answer, but the only state championship team from east tn I can remember was Science Hill back in the mid 90's. I think Bradley Central may have made it to the championship game recently, but lost to White Station. Bradley was for real and have the players playing in college to show for it. Any team that can win the Arby's is really good. It seems like every year an east tn team gets ranked extremely high then tanks in the tourney primarily because of the difference in talent level. Once again, I know there have been single A state champions, so please don't list those.

I know Brainerd and Howard used to be state tourney participants on a regular basis, but I think there presence has even been minimal over the last several years.

Even though Pigeon Forge is ranked #2 in AA and Greeneville is ranked #1 AAA, both are at 25th or below in the Maxprep rankings.

I know you meant no disrespect when you were talking about E. TN teams being overrated in the polls and that W. TN has dominated the State Tourney in the last 10 yrs. in AA and AAA. I will concede to you that the polls are messed up and do no truly reflect who the best teams are in the state because they are just opinions. Besides, baskteball is a tournament sport and anyone can get hot and win several games in a row especially if they are peaking at the end of the year. I do want to comment though about teams that have won or been dominate from E. TN in the last 10-20 yrs. I played basketball in E. TN. in the early to mid 90s so I think I can answer your question. You mentioned Science Hill already, so there is no need to mention them again, but I do think they won 3 titles in the 90s if I'm not mistaken. Also, Brainerd had a couple of appearences with C.J. Black in the mid-90s and I think made it to the sem-finals. Sweetwater went to the State Championship game 3 yrs. in a row and won it once. David Lipscomb (middle Tn) won the State Title one of those yrs. that Sweetwater went to the title game (1st yr.) Harriman won the State Title in 95 over Sweetwater and if it they would not have had to play Sweetwater 2yrs. previously in sub-State matchups that were both very close games, then they might have played for three titles as well during that same span as Sweetwater did. So, right there you had probably the two best teams in the State in AA facing each other in 2 sub-State matchups that knocked one out of contention. Also, Harriman was not ranked in any of the 3 yrs. that they went to sub-State and eventual State and won it all. I think Sweetwater was in the polls for 2 yrs. when they went to State. Also, Austin East, Bearden, and Alcoa all went to the State Tourney during the 90s and all of them were extremely talented and could have come home with the trophy if the breaks would have gone their way. These are just a few examples I can think of though in the last 10-20 yrs. of E. TN. basketball. For the most part W. TN does dominate, but it is a cyclical thing because E. TN. teams have had yrs. where they have faired extremely well.

QUOTE(BristolBoy @ Jan 18 2007 - 10:53 AM) 826336311[/snapback]

Granted, State championships are at a premium here in East Tennessee. And Ive been to many state tournaments, and yes in general the competition is much better in the Memphis area in both AA and AAA.Just look at the Major D-1 prospects from each side, I cant think of a single one the past 10 years from East Tennessee with the exception of Lee Humphrey. I do think that if a team from East Tennessee got really hot at the right time that it could happen and this could be the year without a real dominant team like White Station was or Hamilton last year. But thats only if they get really hot. I know in AAA the closest in the past 10 years excluding that 97 Cleveland team was Science Hill in 02 was neck and neck with White Station in the ship til the 4th. And Bradley in 03 made the state C-Ship as well. In 04 Bradley had a great shot but was upset by the Jackson North Side in the Semis.

Ive seen Greeneville play several times this year and I really dont see it happeneing. I will say that it is possible they have the best player in Tennessee in Wiggins but their tallest player other than him is only 6-2 and hes a guard. They are extremely well coached but that can only get you so far. I would love to see an East Tenn team get a gold ball as much as anyone but in reality it would take alot.

Wiggins isn't the best player in Tennessee. He might be the best in the East but not the whole state.