Brentwood vs. Overton

bhs51

QUOTE(dad45 @ Jan 26 2007 - 08:19 PM) 826347447[/snapback]

tnko thats no way to be . It makes for a better rivalry . You should have read the article .

Your right, I shouldn't be so mean, see I'm happy now, but I did read the article today and I just believe that Overton should have manned up, tried to beat Brentwood and went at Franklin with winning on their minds.... see still happy.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tnko,

First, let's consider that Gabe is not a person people just jump up and down and grovel before, as if he's everyone's favorite coach. He's a good man and inspirational leader for his teams, but there are as many haters as there are lovers, if not more.

As an FYI, keep in mind that Ravenwood beat Overton in Region Duals last year, keeping them out of State Duals for the first time in something like 16 years. Clearly, there is some bad blood toward Ravenwood for the Bobcat faithful. For whatever reason, Overton's attempts to get a rematch this season have all failed, in spite of a concerted effort to schedule one.

This may in fact be much more than simple strategy. It seems to me that this has gotten personal for these wrestlers. We might consider the possibility that Overton might actually expect to beat both Ravenwood and Franklin, but without throwing the match against Brentwood, they would not have the opportunity to wrestle Ravenwood at all. By doing this, they have the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone by advancing to State Duals and avenging a loss against a team that is now on their bad list. Of course, at this point, none of this jockeying for position will matter much if they don't pull through.

Take care, tnko. I respect your enthusiasm. We need it these days.

QUOTE(tnko @ Jan 26 2007 - 09:34 PM) 826347545[/snapback]

Your right, I shouldn't be so mean, see I'm happy now, but I did read the article today and I just believe that Overton should have manned up, tried to beat Brentwood and went at Franklin with winning on their minds.... see still happy.

QUOTE(tnmat @ Jan 27 2007 - 12:09 AM) 826347783[/snapback]

tnko,

First, let's consider that Gabe is not a person people just jump up and down and grovel before, as if he's everyone's favorite coach. He's a good man and inspirational leader for his teams, but there are as many haters as there are lovers, if not more.

As an FYI, keep in mind that Ravenwood beat Overton in Region Duals last year, keeping them out of State Duals for the first time in something like 16 years. Clearly, there is some bad blood toward Ravenwood for the Bobcat faithful. For whatever reason, Overton's attempts to get a rematch this season have all failed, in spite of a concerted effort to schedule one.

This may in fact be much more than simple strategy. It seems to me that this has gotten personal for these wrestlers. We might consider the possibility that Overton might actually expect to beat both Ravenwood and Franklin, but without throwing the match against Brentwood, they would not have the opportunity to wrestle Ravenwood at all. By doing this, they have the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone by advancing to State Duals and avenging a loss against a team that is now on their bad list. Of course, at this point, none of this jockeying for position will matter much if they don't pull through.

Take care, tnko. I respect your enthusiasm. We need it these days.

Just got home from work..... don't know who won but I do see your point..... everyone likes a little revenge.... it's good for the soul!!

QUOTE(tnko @ Jan 27 2007 - 07:25 PM) 826348534[/snapback]

Just got home from work..... don't know who won but I do see your point..... everyone likes a little revenge.... it's good for the soul!!

No prob. Just saw the results of the Region Duals. Looks like things didn't work out for the Overton wrestlers. But I'm glad they got a shot at Ravenwood. They're much improved over last year, and they should show alright in individuals I would think.

QUOTE(tnmat @ Jan 27 2007 - 10:43 PM) 826348832[/snapback]

No prob. Just saw the results of the Region Duals. Looks like things didn't work out for the Overton wrestlers. But I'm glad they got a shot at Ravenwood. They're much improved over last year, and they should show alright in individuals I would think.

Congrats to Josh Peck and crew!!

• 2 weeks later...

There are those who found the move by Overton to lose on purpose not a very good thing to do. Found this in the Chatt FreePress:

Overton coach's ploy backfires

Saturday, February 03, 2007

By Ward Gossett

Assistant Sports Editor

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. -- Overton wrestling coach Ralph Gabriel might not have broken the rules, but he certainly bent them a couple of weeks ago and left fellow some fellow coaches and TSSAA coaches wondering what he was thinking.

Gabriel weighed in only four wrestlers and lost intentionally to Brentwood in a match so his team could open with Ravenwood in the Region 6-AAA Duals.

"We've got some good rivalries in our region, like Overton and Ravenwood," Gabriel told The Tennessean. "If I gave up a district title to wrestle them, obviously that rivalry is stepping up. The top five schools in our region are all about even. The third-place team in our region deserves to go to the state, and everybody will tell you that."

But after his ploy backfired -- Ravenwood is here and Overton is at home -- Gabriel said, "State duals mean very little to me, but we were here and we tried for it."

"It's a matter of ethics to me," said longtime wrestling official Danny Gilbert, a former head coach at East Ridge and Ooltewah and still a part-time coach for the Owls. "You teach your kids to work hard and go hard and good things will happen, and then you purposely lose a match? What kind of message is that sending?"

TSSAA executive director Ronnie Carter was disturbed by Gabriel's rationale and actions.

"There were three things that concerned me about the whole thing," Carter said. "The first was the one from the coach who said he lost on purpose. It prompted a comment from another coach who said he would have done the same thing. Then after the match (Gabriel) said the duals tournament didn't mean anything to him.

"All three of those statements are embarrassments to the sport and should be to any coach."

Carter said the TSSAA would address the situation specifically with the individuals involved, and probably those schools' administrators.

"There's an easy solution. He was trying to get in as a runner-up. We can easily say just the winners are going," Carter said. "The positives of expanding the bracket are teams like Ooltewah, which did well in the tournament last year and is back this year. The negatives are when you get actions like we had in Region 6 (Gabriel losing purposely to improve his team's region draw). I'll be the first to tell anybody we don't penalize teams for not being in dual meet competition."

QUOTE(suddensam @ Feb 5 2007 - 07:16 PM) 826359674[/snapback]

But after his ploy backfired -- Ravenwood is here and Overton is at home -- Gabriel said, "State duals mean very little to me, but we were here and we tried for it."

That almost sounds like he was trying to cover up the fact that his plan backfired.

QUOTE(suddensam @ Feb 5 2007 - 07:16 PM) 826359674[/snapback]

There are those who found the move by Overton to lose on purpose not a very good thing to do. Found this in the Chatt FreePress:

Overton coach's ploy backfires

Saturday, February 03, 2007

By Ward Gossett

Assistant Sports Editor

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. -- Overton wrestling coach Ralph Gabriel might not have broken the rules, but he certainly bent them a couple of weeks ago and left fellow some fellow coaches and TSSAA coaches wondering what he was thinking.

Gabriel weighed in only four wrestlers and lost intentionally to Brentwood in a match so his team could open with Ravenwood in the Region 6-AAA Duals.

"We've got some good rivalries in our region, like Overton and Ravenwood," Gabriel told The Tennessean. "If I gave up a district title to wrestle them, obviously that rivalry is stepping up. The top five schools in our region are all about even. The third-place team in our region deserves to go to the state, and everybody will tell you that."

"It's a matter of ethics to me," said longtime wrestling official Danny Gilbert, a former head coach at East Ridge and Ooltewah and still a part-time coach for the Owls. "You teach your kids to work hard and go hard and good things will happen, and then you purposely lose a match? What kind of message is that sending?"

TSSAA executive director Ronnie Carter was disturbed by Gabriel's rationale and actions.

"There were three things that concerned me about the whole thing," Carter said. "The first was the one from the coach who said he lost on purpose. It prompted a comment from another coach who said he would have done the same thing. Then after the match (Gabriel) said the duals tournament didn't mean anything to him.

"All three of those statements are embarrassments to the sport and should be to any coach."

Carter said the TSSAA would address the situation specifically with the individuals involved, and probably those schools' administrators.

"There's an easy solution. He was trying to get in as a runner-up. We can easily say just the winners are going," Carter said. "The positives of expanding the bracket are teams like Ooltewah, which did well in the tournament last year and is back this year. The negatives are when you get actions like we had in Region 6 (Gabriel losing purposely to improve his team's region draw). I'll be the first to tell anybody we don't penalize teams for not being in dual meet competition."

They tried and came short. I dont understand why they didnt wrestle in the season?

QUOTE(HeadthrowConexion @ Feb 6 2007 - 11:02 AM) 826360382[/snapback]

They did wrestle during the season.

no they didn't wrestle in the season

QUOTE(waro @ Feb 6 2007 - 06:39 PM) 826360998[/snapback]

no they didn't wrestle in the season

they did not wrestle during the season