2008 TSSAA State Tournament

catsbackr

AAAA? There's no such division in any sport in Tennessee. I doubt there are currently enough teams to split the public schools into divisions.

Double elimination? With the individuals you already bowl too many games if you bowl for your team, too. With double elimination, you'd be bowling almost as many games for the team event as the team/individual and then you'd have to come back again for the individual. Expense for the team as well as for the individuals.

If you do split into divisions, why not put Division II in with the A/AA and try to have one AAA division? Or, have just one division, period.

I think the set up is fine. The only thing that needs to worked out are the logistics of the site itself. Shoot, bring it to Hixson. We have 5 or 6 times the concourse space but only have 42 lanes (I think). We could set up 6 high seating!

If we do move it, we have to bring the Smyrna Bowling Center people down to direct it though!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The major problem with having singles on a seperate weekend is the added travel time and expenses the teams from East andWest Tennessee would incur. The total number of games bowled between the 2 competitions is 23 maximum. This is spread across 3 days or about 8 games a day. I really would like the bowlers input as to whether this is really to much. The Junior Gold National Tournament has a week of intense bowling with many games bowled.

qualifying 18 games

The semifinalists bowl 12 additional games to determine the top 16 males and top 16 females who compete in the finals. The 32 finalists bowl 16 games of round-robin match play to determine the top five males and top five females who earn automatic berths on Junior Team USA .

I do see both sides and i certainly want everyone to bowl their best i just think you have to consider those teams at the far ends of the state.

One other note...It's amazing to see how the coverage in the media has increased over the last few years. I sat in the tournament office and listened to the media guys talk about how close the matches were, how exciting the competition was and how awesome the bowlers were and i have to shake my head. It has been a long road to get to where we are now . You athletes have successfully pulled bowling into the fringes of the mainstream sports world in our state. You are the future of our sport and from my perspective our future is very bright. I urge each and every one of you to contact your local media and thank them for any coverage ofHigh School Bowling. In Nashville Tom Kreager has been paramount in the coverage of bowling at the Tennessean Newspaper. I called the Sports Department and thanked them for their coverage and i urge all local bowlers, coaches and parents to do the same. Look for a huge bowling spread in the paper over the next few days.

Thanks,

kelly

• 3 weeks later...

I think the divisions as they are now work out fine. The biggest problem is the level of coaches which is visible in the development of the teams from certain areas. Some schools have coaches with little or no formal coaching training, especially in bowling. The retired football coach or teacher who gets an extra few dollars to be the "coach" that watches practice. If TSSAA wants to do the right thing, they would promote USBC certification to the schools to level the coaching playing field. The coaches at Hixson, Hardin co., Columbia, Smyrna, and the other areas with teams who are always competitive, have coaches who are truly involved in bowling and have attained certification. The coaches go through the other coaching certification, so what is the difference?

See everybody next season!

QUOTE(worthyone @ Jan 28 2007 - 09:19 PM) 826349661[/snapback]They went to 8 teams to keep it like every other sport... baseball, softball, basketball... all have state tournaments involving 8 teams.

I don't see them changing that anytime soon.

no they cut it from 16 to 8 teams last year because of the fire hazards of people in Smyrna's house...and by the way my sophmore year yall had a set of bleachers and that was cool..lol...just bring those back in lol....O yea Long live Toot's the greatest restuarant in Smyrna...and to you Smyrna guys, Skinny, Ben, And Ben's Brother thanks for the great times and memories over the years and at Toot's lol....peace out!

Chris Holmes...H-Town, the REAL and ONLY H-Town

QUOTE(catsbackr @ Jan 29 2007 - 10:00 PM) 826350971[/snapback]AAAA? There's no such division in any sport in Tennessee. I doubt there are currently enough teams to split the public schools into divisions.

Double elimination? With the individuals you already bowl too many games if you bowl for your team, too. With double elimination, you'd be bowling almost as many games for the team event as the team/individual and then you'd have to come back again for the individual. Expense for the team as well as for the individuals.

If you do split into divisions, why not put Division II in with the A/AA and try to have one AAA division? Or, have just one division, period.

I think the set up is fine. The only thing that needs to worked out are the logistics of the site itself. Shoot, bring it to Hixson. We have 5 or 6 times the concourse space but only have 42 lanes (I think). We could set up 6 high seating!

If we do move it, we have to bring the Smyrna Bowling Center people down to direct it though!

I agree with you Mr.C about the divisions thats a really good idea and would be a lot more fun for Div 2...But we only have 32 lanes but we should get more with all the room around the outside of the center dont you think? i mean thatt huge dirt landfill...that could give us some lanes..lol n-e-ways peace out

Chris Holmes...H-Town the REAL and ONLY H-Town