Sequoyah Football

Sequoyah SID

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was something I found from a David Libscomb thread. They are far the best team or consistantly the top team in our division at the present day. Here is what has lead to their success.

1. A head coach who has been at the school for 26 seasons.

2. Assistant coaches who have been with the program for about 15 years.

3. A conditioning and lifting program that is year round with parents and the players signing a committment agreement.

4. A team with a feeder system, a middle school team who basically run the same offense and the same defensive calls as the varsity (The fifth and sixth grade teams who are now familiar with the Lipscomb calls)

5. A B-Team with their own schedule

6. A stand alone freshman team with their own schedule

7. No financial aid

8. You do all of the above with less than half of what public schools have in their varsity football budget

9. A senior class who have spent 6 years within the same system.

Stability equals success. It took about 7-8 seasons before Lipscomb became a consistent winner and it took them 13 years before playing in their first State Championship game. Most public schools will replace their head coach and staff long before that and that program ususally has to start over.

It took 20 years to get to this level of consistency of competing yearly for State Championships.

So we have given you the business plan. Encourage your school to institute it and remain committed to the plan. I imagine that you could also witness success.

Avery good post. Like I said before,PATIENCE! We will get there with these coaches if we let them do their jobs.

I am glad you put those stats on here it helps prove the point with those types of averages we should not be sitting here with two wins to show for it. Thank You

You know,turnovers were killers at times this year. The defense wound up in a tight spot and with our youth just weren't able to get the stops. Momentum means so much in high school ball,and most of these teams were way more experienced at taking advantage of mistakes.You know,just a thought,I would be willing to bet the coaches are even less pleased than you are with 2 wins.

Best thing a coach can do is get control (at least partial) of the little league programs supplying him with talent. The ability to appoint coaches and make them feeder programs goes a long way to making a successful high school program. I mean those kids will eventually play for him. Are the two teams still in the same league?

I agree. Look at most of the successful programs(statewide or nationally)they have middle school and some even grade school football. Yes,both are still in the same league.

That's right team up on me, I like it. I still got facts on my side, when a big play was needed to be made our offense was stopped more times than not. You folks talked about other coaches like Meigs and Polk knowing what we were going to run before we ran it, but that they couldn't stop it. If I recall correctly you folks may have to help me, but I do believe we lost both of those games. I am just saying that a little variety and a different style would be nice to see. In my opinion we lost some games in the fourth quarter because we for one could not stop teams that were just more physical than us, and because our double wing didn't get it done when it counted, again that is my opinion.

ONE MORE NOTE, OUTSCORED BY PLAYOFF TEAMS 148-52 RUNNING THE GOOD OLE DOUBLE WING

BTW,I am not trying to team up on anybody. Just giving my opinion same as you. Apparently,yours is the least popular. Just one question. What would you have done different on offense with this group? Defensively,I thought coach Summey made it very clear after Friday nights game that would be a major focal point in the offseason. In my opinion,the points difference will decrease dramatically next year because of the experience these guys gained this year and having another year to grow and get stronger.

Guys, guys, guys no need to be so defensive I am just throwing out some facts and keeping it real. I have said all along that this team was much improved and a lot funner to watch. But, reality is with the teams that finished ahead of us in this region we were still outscored 194 to 69 if my count is right. That is huge and I don't think you can cover that gap with improved defense alone, you got to have more firepower. My opinion is the least popular because it carries the most truth, and I am okay with it. Second week of Nov 2008 I have no intentions of setting at home or going to watch another team in the playoffs, my intentions are to be setting in the stands with 411 high way to back.

Does anyone know when the lads get back to work? Man I miss watching these guys get better every week! I want everyone, I mean everyone in Vonore and Madisonville to be at the football field when we host Sweetwater in 08. I can sit and listen to Coach Summey and the staff talk and I wish I had some eligibility left! Folks, we seen a huge improvment in the attitude, strength, knowledge of the game over the 07 season and I'm sure the coaches know everything the players need to work on and I know they will work hard on it. So we need to keep the ship afloat and don't rock the boat. We need to remain FANS and I know we will and let the coaches do their jobs.

Avery good post. Like I said before,PATIENCE! We will get there with these coaches if we let them do their jobs.

Agree let the men do their work. Here is why i say this. Look at the offensive line and what thy have done. Back in the spring the coaches were probably counting on having several seniors back on the line, but for whatever reason those kids either did'nt come out or quit. That put the Oline coaches in a tough spot with only 1 lineman returning having experiance. Well they took this young bunch and have really improved them. We already had a good line coach in coach davidson and by adding coach sanders we have 2 quality men here. But the real reason for the improvement was how receptive and willing to learn these kids were. It was'nt that the coaches simplified things the kids were real coachable. They were pulling ,traping, downblocking all over the field. Watching this line against Meigs co. I will have to say that it was the best I have seen a OLine at Seq. play in years. So keep up the good work coaches. And to the boys, if you guys are willing to learn, I believe we have the coaches to teach you. The future is bright for the CHIEFS, and I am really looking forward to watching it. Man is it just me or is everyone really looking forward to spring. GO CHIEFS /excl.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":excl:" border="0" alt="excl.gif" /> /excl.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":excl:" border="0" alt="excl.gif" />

Agree let the men do their work. Here is why i say this. Look at the offensive line and what thy have done. Back in the spring the coaches were probably counting on having several seniors back on the line, but for whatever reason those kids either did'nt come out or quit. That put the Oline coaches in a tough spot with only 1 lineman returning having experiance. Well they took this young bunch and have really improved them. We already had a good line coach in coach davidson and by adding coach sanders we have 2 quality men here. But the real reason for the improvement was how receptive and willing to learn these kids were. It was'nt that the coaches simplified things the kids were real coachable. They were pulling ,traping, downblocking all over the field. Watching this line against Meigs co. I will have to say that it was the best I have seen a OLine at Seq. play in years. So keep up the good work coaches. And to the boys, if you guys are willing to learn, I believe we have the coaches to teach you. The future is bright for the CHIEFS, and I am really looking forward to watching it. Man is it just me or is everyone really looking forward to spring. GO CHIEFS

Why do you feel the need to build up Coach D so much. Was not most of these guys on the JV team the year before. If they were then they were not as inexperienced as you make them sound. I know things were simplified and sometimes that is what it takes to be successsful. The biggest difference in this team was Coach Summey, he challenged and the kids answered.

Why do you feel the need to build up Coach D so much. Was not most of these guys on the JV team the year before. If they were then they were not as inexperienced as you make them sound. I know things were simplified and sometimes that is what it takes to be successsful. The biggest difference in this team was Coach Summey, he challenged and the kids answered.

[/quot

Hey Slobber Knocker you finally said something I agree with "Coach Summey challanged and the kids answered". Can't wait to see who rises to his next challanges. He did say the bar has be raised. That old saying "Rome wasn't built in a day", applies to rebuilding a win program. Can't wait to see the final out come. GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!

Was'nt trying to build up coach D. If I remember my post right I mentioned Both the line coaches. The reason I done this, is I really feal the most improved area of the team was the Oline. I did say they were inexperienced here's why only 1 returning starter and he palyed a different posistion. Two of them were running backs never played line before in their lives. Two of them did play JV last year one now a Soph. and 1 now a junoir. And a freshman who played abit. I don't know what you think inexperience is, but I would pretty much say this is it. I don't fell the need to build up any one. Just giving credit were credit is due. I do agree Coach Summey has done a great job and I tell him this when ever I see him. I also think coach Gregory has done a great job, as you should be able to tell from my post about the offense. Heck I think all of our coaches have done a great job, and I am very excited about the future. Here is my question to you. Why do you feel the need to downgrade certain coaches on here so much? Maybe you need to go talk to the coaches face to face. But when you get on here and put down all that they are doing, what kind of message do you think you are sending the boys. One of which I assume is yours. Hard enough for the coaches to get the kids to believe in what they are doing & teaching. Remember the boys read this stuff to. And for the boys that do I will say this. Your coaches are doing a good job, Listen to them and work hard, You guys improved alot this year but there is still improvement to be made. So get after it and give it all you got. This coming from someone who does'nt have a kid on this team, but who really enjoys watching high school football. Keep up the good work. And please don't listen to us. Listen to your coaches. Not just the Oline, but the whole team has improved and you guys are just going to get better. GO CHIEFS /excl.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":excl:" border="0" alt="excl.gif" /> /excl.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":excl:" border="0" alt="excl.gif" /> /excl.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":excl:" border="0" alt="excl.gif" />