Do you use the bench?

Morton

I've seen so many comments on this in many separate threads... I thought I would start a separate thread about this specific topic. What do you think about coaches that only think one year at a time vs. using their bench to develop younger players? I think that seasons are played one year at a time, but I also think that coaches have to always look ahead. What if you have sickness, injuries, or a team you want to compete the next year or two?? The Smyrna vs. WC game thread lead me to this topic. Do you think that some coaches want to inflate scores for premier players for recruiting purposes? Do you think they have tunnel vision for the state tournament?? Do you know of programs that would be more successful if the bench is utilized?? Just wondering what others think about this issue?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Morton @ Jan 31 2007 - 10:34 PM) 826354038[/snapback]

What do you think about coaches that only think one year at a time vs. using their bench to develop younger players? I think that seasons are played one year at a time, but I also think that coaches have to always look ahead. What if you have sickness, injuries, or a team you want to compete the next year or two?? The Smyrna vs. WC game thread lead me to this topic. Do you think that some coaches want to inflate scores for premier players for recruiting purposes? Do you think they have tunnel vision for the state tournament?? Do you know of programs that would be more successful if the bench is utilized?? Just wondering what others think about this issue?

Clarkrange was going one deep in the bench with Hannah Green. She was having a great season(on pace to break season three point record coming off the bench(as a sophomore) and 3 to 4 steals a game to boot!) Blew an ACL!!!(season over) The 7th player had not really concentrated on playing or expected to. Awesome player (shooter) but doesn't realize her potential or importance now that she is the sixth man!!! They are now one injury away from being an average team!! Hope she realizes her importance and steps up in the district and region like she is capable of doing!! It sure will help the Team!! Good luck to all the Lady Buffaloes, you have been a very fun TEAM to watch this year. Every game someone steps up and does their part. So far there is no selfishness or jealously. This team is not afraid to help their teammates be successful!!! It is wonderful to watch!!! Stay the course Ladies and let that hard work pay off!!! And to the Bench - "Jamie especially", keep firing away, you are definitely the wild card!!! Just enjoy helping your team make that run at State!! Settle down and drop those shots!! Everyone else , keep making your plays and start your run at a three-peat!!! By the way Clarkrange won State a few years ago only playing 3 sophomores and 3 seniors!

Interesting topic. My daughter had the privledge of being a sophomore on the Mt. Juliet state championship team two years ago. As a Freshman, she and five others won the championship under the coaching of a great, young coach Anna Sharpe who is now an assistant with the varsity. Ahead of my daughter's class was the group of juniors, (four year starters), who, along with Alysha Clark and Holly Hudson the seniors, were the core of what should have been back to back to back championships. Unfortunately, this group achieved only one championship due to various circumstances, injury to Clark her junior year and one bad game against Wilson Central last year in the region finals. Of the 8 girls in my daughter's class, 2 are still playing, Miaca Bowman and K. C. Vanatta, both are obvious great players and contributers to this years senior class at MJ. The class behind my daughter who were freshman during the championship run is chock full of another group of great players, Taylor Hall, Jordan Nixon, Rebecca Sharpe and Heather Miller, all starters now, (Taylor is out with a knee injury). I feel that the group of five who won the Freshman championship could have easily transferred to Mt. Juliet Christian, or Friendship Christian and would have done well, getting to regionals and possibly Murfreesboro with further maturity. These girls were great teammates for the State Championship run and there was seemingly a bond between the starters and the others that fits the old, "the sum of the parts make up the whole." Mom's and dads sometimes get frustrated when the end of the bench gets in for the last few minutes of a blowout victory. Coach Fryer at Mt. Juliet isn't one thing, stupid. He knows that it's a long season and in order to win in three days in Murfreesboro, the starters play and play some more, even in lobsided wins. That's how you win championships. By the time the Lady Bears won the state Championship in 2005, the starters knew who would be where virtually every trip down the floor and the on floor chemistry was a thing of beauty to witness every night. Again, that's how you win the gold ball. By the way, the first seven on that team are all playing at the next level, (K.C. Vanatta will be playing next year at Trevecca). I think my daughter made the right decision when she went to Coach Fryer after the season and told him she wouldn't be back, one thing she isn't is stupid, knowing how good the group was behind her class as you can see with the #1 ranking. Don't get me wrong, she loves (and loved) basketball, but like I told her, life is full of decisions and choices and you must always try and choose wisely. I think she chose wisely. Being a part of greatness and championships is rare for any athlete no matter the role.

QUOTE(flngrvy @ Feb 1 2007 - 06:16 AM) 826354196[/snapback]

Interesting topic. My daughter had the privledge of being a sophomore on the Mt. Juliet state championship team two years ago. As a Freshman, she and five others won the championship under the coaching of a great, young coach Anna Sharpe who is now an assistant with the varsity. Ahead of my daughter's class was the group of juniors, (four year starters), who, along with Alysha Clark and Holly Hudson the seniors, were the core of what should have been back to back to back championships. Unfortunately, this group achieved only one championship due to various circumstances, injury to Clark her junior year and one bad game against Wilson Central last year in the region finals. Of the 8 girls in my daughter's class, 2 are still playing, Miaca Bowman and K. C. Vanatta, both are obvious great players and contributers to this years senior class at MJ. The class behind my daughter who were freshman during the championship run is chock full of another group of great players, Taylor Hall, Jordan Nixon, Rebecca Sharpe and Heather Miller, all starters now, (Taylor is out with a knee injury). I feel that the group of five who won the Freshman championship could have easily transferred to Mt. Juliet Christian, or Friendship Christian and would have done well, getting to regionals and possibly Murfreesboro with further maturity. These girls were great teammates for the State Championship run and there was seemingly a bond between the starters and the others that fits the old, "the sum of the parts make up the whole." Mom's and dads sometimes get frustrated when the end of the bench gets in for the last few minutes of a blowout victory. Coach Fryer at Mt. Juliet isn't one thing, stupid. He knows that it's a long season and in order to win in three days in Murfreesboro, the starters play and play some more, even in lobsided wins. That's how you win championships. By the time the Lady Bears won the state Championship in 2005, the starters knew who would be where virtually every trip down the floor and the on floor chemistry was a thing of beauty to witness every night. Again, that's how you win the gold ball. By the way, the first seven on that team are all playing at the next level, (K.C. Vanatta will be playing next year at Trevecca). I think my daughter made the right decision when she went to Coach Fryer after the season and told him she wouldn't be back, one thing she isn't is stupid, knowing how good the group was behind her class as you can see with the #1 ranking. Don't get me wrong, she loves (and loved) basketball, but like I told her, life is full of decisions and choices and you must always try and choose wisely. I think she chose wisely. Being a part of greatness and championships is rare for any athlete no matter the role.

I agree with most of that and I definitely fear the scenario mentioned earlier of a star player blowing out an ACL. You hear, at least in football that the game play is a result of practice. Good practice week-great game. So I still have to question not going deeper into the bench if it is a blowout game. Obviously the starting girls were clicking that night like you say. Maybe the question is a "blow out" different in each coaches mind.

I think, you have to play your front 6 or 7 as much as possible, with an eye on the future. That means getting the young ones in when you can. I do not think the High School coach is obligated to play everyone. In blow outs, some empty the bench and some don't. Usually though, you can see the kids the coach sees potential in, by the way they get them in game situations. As I said in an earlier post, most of the time when the bottom of the bench gets in, you see why they are on the bottom of the bench. Now what flngrvy said is true, on MJ's championship team, there was a lot of good players on the bench, and they could have went to private schools and excelled. The team still has a bunch of good players, but the coach is playing for the BIG game. Since this has been a topic over the last couple weeks, I have been watching the way coaches use their bench. I think the Westmoreland and the Gordensville coaches do a great job with their bench. I always thought Coach Fryer did a good job managing his bench. I see more A ball than AAA ball these days, and the benches are not as deep as in the case of MJ, so it is hard to compare the two. I would say to the kids on the bench, work hard and when you get your shot, show the coach what you can do, but in most cases the coaches know their players more than I do, so I do not judge them for not playing their whole bench.

This years Elizabethton team goes nine deep every game. Four seniors (who start), four juniors, and a sophomore (who comes off the bench and leads the team in scoring). Three posts that rotate get two plus quarters each. Guard rotation and playing time depends on who's playing well, but all guards coming off the bench average more than a quarter per game.

Seems to be keeping everyone with fresh legs.

QUOTE(worden55 @ Feb 1 2007 - 12:41 PM) 826354580[/snapback]

lucky you, I did not even get to sit on the bench, I was cut, not once, but twice.

Look out , you know it's coming. My same old one track mind. A good high school coach only keeps kids on the team that he or she can play. There are certain smart things you can do to please most, maybe not all. First, in high school, respect your upperclassman, remember what I said, the coach allows them to remain on the team. Second, find places you can insert players without hurting , but giving your starters a blow, like the very end of quarters 1,2,3. And Third, when the game is trully out of hand, put in your young ones so they can see what varsity is like. Give your young ones alot of time and coaching on Freshman and JV games. And don't bring your young ones up too early, make it a big deal, an honor . I know it seems like we want our kids to grow up so quick. What ever happen to "waiting your turn".

QUOTE(sumnercountybball @ Feb 2 2007 - 12:28 AM) 826355411[/snapback]

Look out , you know it's coming. My same old one track mind. A good high school coach only keeps kids on the team that he or she can play. There are certain smart things you can do to please most, maybe not all. First, in high school, respect your upperclassman, remember what I said, the coach allows them to remain on the team. Second, find places you can insert players without hurting , but giving your starters a blow, like the very end of quarters 1,2,3. And Third, when the game is trully out of hand, put in your young ones so they can see what varsity is like. Give your young ones alot of time and coaching on Freshman and JV games. And don't bring your young ones up too early, make it a big deal, an honor . I know it seems like we want our kids to grow up so quick. What ever happen to "waiting your turn".

Whatever happened to "the best five play", regardless if they are "upperclassmen" or not. Is it disrespecting to the "upperclassmen" if they are the one's coming off of the bench to give a freshman who started a rest? Once again, your mindset always tells you that the "young ones" are the ones on the bench at the end of the game. I can only hope that you are not a coach.

QUOTE(sumnercountybball @ Feb 1 2007 - 11:28 PM) 826355411[/snapback]

Sometimes people get way too caught up with giving respect based on age more so than hard work and dedication. You should respect your upperclassmen, but you can't ignore hard work and talent. If a freshman or sophomore is better than a junior or senior, what is wrong with giving them substantial playtime? It doesn't make sense that they should have to sit because of a mere 1 year difference in age, or merely grade classification in some cases.

QUOTE(stlbrd @ Feb 2 2007 - 12:21 AM) 826355501[/snapback]

Whatever happened to "the best five play", regardless if they are "upperclassmen" or not. Is it disrespecting to the "upperclassmen" if they are the one's coming off of the bench to give a freshman who started a rest? Once again, your mindset always tells you that the "young ones" are the ones on the bench at the end of the game. I can only hope that you are not a coach.

Just to add an extension, the best players should play. Though if you have an abundance of talent then give the heads up to the "upperclassmen." Like STL said, whoever said older meant better?

To answer the original question. It all depends on if you want a dynasty or a winning season. If you want to continue to have multiple years of success then you must use your bench. Some of the things people learn in sports only come from experience. If you ignore the younger players, then eventually you will have to make it up later down the road, but by then it could be too late.