Working the Refs

BosemanWBFan

QUOTE(sportsfan07 @ Feb 7 2007 - 08:57 AM) 826361697[/snapback]

I think one of the best at working the refs is Coach Seal at hancock co. Ive seen him coach for a while now and he really can work them good, especially up there on that dreadful mountian they call sneedville.

I don't call "working the refs" is exactly what you are seeing here. There is a correct & wrong way do doing this. From what I've seen over the years Coach Seals doesn't do a very good job of this. He trys to intimidate the referee and most officials I have seen on the court doesn't take lightly to these actions. In my opion, if Coach Seals was questioning things in the right manner, he wouldn't be given half as many technicals that he has received in his coaching career!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(utvols1 @ Feb 5 2007 - 10:46 PM) 826359862[/snapback]

Coming from an officials viewpoint...Bill Duncan from Greeneville....

utvols1, How many years have you been officiating? Have you ever worked any of his games? I have seen Duncan blow several gaskets during games but at the same time he hasn't been given a technical for his actions. I'm sure in certain instances he goes about his buisness with the refs the right way, but I'm not too sure that complaining about calls is refered to as "working the refs". He sure does a whole lot of that.

QUOTE(PTSportsWriter @ Feb 7 2007 - 01:40 PM) 826362137[/snapback]

Bill Duncan from Greeneville.

There's gotta be a reason his teams are shooting at least 200 more free-throws than anyone else in their conference...

I'm sure you hear a fair share from the Fighting Cocks....

PTS- You always gotta question the integrity of the officials, don't ya! Seems to me you would spend your time talking about the CC girls basketball team, since they only won 2 games last year. Don't you have anything better to do than to lay blame on others rather than facing the fact that CC boys are having an off year? It's getting old...........

QUOTE(dick vitale @ Feb 8 2007 - 03:12 PM) 826363743[/snapback]

utvols1, How many years have you been officiating? Have you ever worked any of his games? I have seen Duncan blow several gaskets during games but at the same time he hasn't been given a technical for his actions. I'm sure in certain instances he goes about his buisness with the refs the right way, but I'm not too sure that complaining about calls is refered to as "working the refs". He sure does a whole lot of that.

You are right he does get irate sometimes, but in my experience with Coach Duncan he generally asks about things in the right manner. What he does when our backs are turned may be another story tho and the way he works some of the newer faces may be another story as well...

This also brings up a good point...when a coach goes to an official in a respectable manner he is given a answer in a respectable tone and manner MOST of the time...Its when coaches go irate and begin yelling and raising heck that they get the dreaded Technical foul called on them. As for me personally, this is my 15th year of officiating high school basketball and when i am next to a coach he can talk to me all he wants and say ALMOST anything he wants...its when they begin screaming and yelling over calls or when they continue talking about a call that happened 10 trips down the floor ago that they get the T....Respect=Respect....

Mike Limbaugh at Clarksburg has got to be the best. He can use his country twang to get the officials to call a foul every trip. Sometimes he gives you , the next time he is saying . If an official ever gets one right he will give them the ole or . But you can tell he has been taught well by Larry Joe Smith and Roy Grant.

• 3 weeks later...

QUOTE(utvols1 @ Feb 7 2007 - 12:36 AM) 826361517[/snapback]Politics is a problem with just about anything these days. As far as officials being too old or overweight and unable to get in position...I completely agree! Some of the guys that I call with have been doing this for 40 years. They love the kids and love the game and really do enjoy calling. I also agree that we need some younger officials to come in to the associations and start calling some. Its a great way to make a little bit of extra money and to stay in shape! As far as having thick skin...when i first started officiating...i had the thinnest skin of them all! My temper was horrible! But the more you work, the easier it is to let things roll of your back. As an official...you will make someone mad every time you step on the floor. It is a thankless job, but we all love to do it anyway! It is great to watch players and coaches develop as athletes and people...I wouldnt trade it for the world!!!

You sound like someone that I know and may possibly ref with one day. You may know me better than you think you do.

QUOTE(BosemanWBFan @ Mar 1 2007 - 12:39 PM) 826394943[/snapback]Lets hope refs are not influenced by coaches or fans working them or paying them (don't laugh

Paying them?...highschool refs?...let's hope not. I would have to believe that this does not happen. IMO the fraternity of refs would soon find out if this was happening and the offenders would be dealt with quick and without prejudice.