GREENBACK WINS REGION-2 TOURNAMENT

THEANIMAL

QUOTE(ArtusCimber @ Feb 11 2007 - 09:39 PM) 826367883[/snapback]

I feel you Jackson. I started without a ton of support at Jefferson County. When I got there in 1992 the uniforms were worse than I had in high school in the seventies.

I recruited kids, we raised our money for stuff, and everybody just left me alone and let me work.

As we had success, things got better as people realized that we were fun to watch. We did have a great sportswriter, the late Richard Hayworth, and he covered our program like it was the only one in town.

When I left I was promised that the work I'd done would be preserved and that they would bring in someone who would keep things going. Of course that was a Jeff County thing. They really didn't mean it. They were concerned with their own insular, esoteric Jefferson County stuff than they were with quality. Still, I worked hard to make Jeff County wrestling the best it could be. Early on, I also had great parental support. Later, it dwindled some, but that was a key as well.

I'm fortunate at Science Hill to have both administrative and parental support. But I basically made both my programs what I wanted them to be on my own. It was an exercise of personal will.

A coach has to take charge to realize his vision.

Amen Coach!! It's a shame that the administration to include the AD can't even make a home match. They did manage to make one home match this year along with the football coaches to watch one of their football studs wrestle. Who, by the way, got stuck in front of his own school and his administrative cheerleaders. For the record, the football stud later quit. Actually pulling out in the middle if a tournament because it was a "waste of time and had better things to do". Of course he was getting his tail kicked. Football players are tough, but for those who think wrestling isn't are just ignorant to the sport. Mentally and physically it is above all. Most wrestlers don't want the glory or recognition. It's self satisfaction that matters the most. Knowing they have reached their goals and sacrficed what they have to get there. Hours of drilling, sweating, early morning and late night runs to make sure you make weight. And most of the time that's after cutting for months. How many other athletes could go an entire day not eating just to make sure they make weight and then go compete? My hat goes off to all wrestlers and coaches. You are an elite group that deserves respect and support.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic