TSSAA preseason

Guru

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with moving volleyball to the spring would be allowing those girls a place to practice. A lot of school's only have one gym and we all know that basketball will win that battle as softball coaches find out when weathetr conditions are too poor to be outside.

Another thing to consider is how many of the girls on a softball team play soccer. Players would have to make a decision as to whether to play softball or soccer, much like they have to do now with volleyball.

QUOTE(rolltide418 @ Feb 18 2007 - 02:26 PM) 826377689[/snapback]The problem with moving volleyball to the spring would be allowing those girls a place to practice. A lot of school's only have one gym and we all know that basketball will win that battle as softball coaches find out when weathetr conditions are too poor to be outside.

Another thing to consider is how many of the girls on a softball team play soccer. Players would have to make a decision as to whether to play softball or soccer, much like they have to do now with volleyball.

A place to practice? I would think that would help the volleyball people because basketball is NOT played in the spring. Trust me, the weather is warmer in the fall and they could practice outside everyday if it is not raining. They are practicing now and it is 30 degrees outside, can't remember the last time it was 30 degrees in August.

As far as the soccer thing goes, move soccer or choose a sport.................

To serious softball people, this is a no brainer...........time to get something done! Oh and while I am at it, why do the basketball districts have 4 teams going to the regional and softball only has 2? hmmmmmmmmmm!

QUOTE(stlbrd @ Feb 18 2007 - 08:25 PM) 826378261[/snapback]A place to practice? I would think that would help the volleyball people because basketball is NOT played in the spring. Trust me, the weather is warmer in the fall and they could practice outside everyday if it is not raining. They are practicing now and it is 30 degrees outside, can't remember the last time it was 30 degrees in August.

As far as the soccer thing goes, move soccer or choose a sport.................

To serious softball people, this is a no brainer...........time to get something done! Oh and while I am at it, why do the basketball districts have 4 teams going to the regional and softball only has 2? hmmmmmmmmmm!

Its called T$$AA

Did you ever think about what is going on right now. It's called district tournaments. If the practice time is the same as it is for softball right now, do you not think it would be tough for a volleyball team to practice? Do you actually think the basketball team is going to give up the court during postseason play?

By the way speaking of the weather, it is supposed to be in the 50's and 60's this week.

I am a former softball coach, I know about the weather in February and March! When I was a softball coach I thought about the same plan. Now that I am not a softball coach, I can look at other angles.

Yes, you are right, it is much warmer and drier during the fall.

QUOTE(rolltide418 @ Feb 18 2007 - 10:24 PM) 826378457[/snapback]Did you ever think about what is going on right now. It's called district tournaments. If the practice time is the same as it is for softball right now, do you not think it would be tough for a volleyball team to practice? Do you actually think the basketball team is going to give up the court during postseason play?

By the way speaking of the weather, it is supposed to be in the 50's and 60's this week.

I am a former softball coach, I know about the weather in February and March! When I was a softball coach I thought about the same plan. Now that I am not a softball coach, I can look at other angles.

Yes, you are right, it is much warmer and drier during the fall.

Other states play softball in the fall and it seems to be working just fine. Volleyball overlaps basketball in the fall and everyone gets along fine.

I understand about the TSSAA, but I think if WE start speaking as a GROUP someone has got to listen to our concerns.

It is time to stop discussing the pros and cons and begin to do something about it.

Anyone interested in getting this changed, please sign the petition that will be going around this summer at various softball tournaments. If we get enough signatures, I will do my best to get it changed.

The volleyball state tournament concludes before basketball practice can begin.

It is not that way with basketball and softball. When I coached softball I played games without players who played basketball because they made the state tournament. At my school more basketball players play volleyball than play softball. It makes it tough to practice without a floor to get on or players to practice with.

QUOTE(rolltide418 @ Feb 19 2007 - 08:42 AM) 826378892[/snapback]The volleyball state tournament concludes before basketball practice can begin.

It is not that way with basketball and softball. When I coached softball I played games without players who played basketball because they made the state tournament. At my school more basketball players play volleyball than play softball. It makes it tough to practice without a floor to get on or players to practice with.

MOVE SOCCER! Like I said before, it has always been a bunch of excuses, and basketball does overlap softball. Softball has been practicing for a week now.

Other states do it and it is time for Tennessee to step up and do the same.............and realize that softball is becoming a VERY popular sport. Our girls (and parents) are getting tired of freezing and having games postponed because of SNOW!

What do you do with boys' soccer? It is played in the spring. If you move soccer as you say, do the parents of soccer players not have to sit outside in the elements as well?

I am in agreement that softball is a popular sport. Soccer on the high school level along with volleyball are popular as well.

Could it be that your only consideration of this is from a softball perspective? Have you looked at it from other vantage points like I am? I have been involved in both softball and volleyball as a coach. I haven't coached soccer, but I am trying to look at things from all vantage points. More sports are effected if you make the change you are suggesting.

QUOTE(rolltide418 @ Feb 19 2007 - 12:50 PM) 826379156[/snapback]What do you do with boys' soccer? It is played in the spring. If you move soccer as you say, do the parents of soccer players not have to sit outside in the elements as well?

I am in agreement that softball is a popular sport. Soccer on the high school level along with volleyball are popular as well.

Could it be that your only consideration of this is from a softball perspective? Have you looked at it from other vantage points like I am? I have been involved in both softball and volleyball as a coach. I haven't coached soccer, but I am trying to look at things from all vantage points. More sports are effected if you make the change you are suggesting.

Obviously softball and soccer and two totally different sports. Soccer requires more running therefore the colder weather does not effect the player as it does in softball. A lot of standing around and swinging an aluminum bat at a ball being thrown in excess of 60 mph tends to sting the hands a bit.

Like I have said a million times before, "Why do other states play softball in the fall and Tennessee refuses to or even attempt it?" Yes I am looking at it from a softball perspective. But softball scholarships are earned (for the most part) through travel ball. If these girls are only playing travel ball for 2 months out of the summer then their chances of getting a scholarship are greatly reduced. And before you start with the whole "not true" thing, I know for a FACT that this is the case. 100 to 150 college coaches at exposure tournaments compared to maybe 3 (local) coaches at high school games is hard to ignore or defend. Georgia travel teams play in a minimum of 16 tournaments every year, Tennessee plays in eight if they play EVERY weekend!

And the "what do we do with boys soccer" question. Why do boys and girls play basketball in the same season? Why don't we seperate them? These are all problems (for lack of a better term) that have easy fixes, but nobody wants to try............