update on merissa

recruitguru

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to all who attended the prayer vigil tonight. Mr and Mrs Senor were awesome. Songs were sang, prayers were said. Shannon (Merissa's dad) said a prayer and thanked everyone that came. He also updated us on her condition. She has pneumonia. She will be having a cat scan tomorrow. The were worried about her not moving her right arm, but they discovered that her right collar bone is broke, and today she did move her right arm. The docs are still saying there is still a possiblity of some brain damage that will probably affect her right side. How much or how bad is anyone's guess. All we can all do is say prayers for her.

Lots of people have asked if there is anything that Merissa's family needs. I asked Shannon that. He said that people have been so generous that they could never eat the food or other things that the community has brought to the ICU. While we were there, a student at North (cant rememeber his name) brought in 4 large pizzas for everyone.

As of right now, only family is allowed to visit. For several reasons:

1-They have to keep the room quiet for Merissa

2-The doctors are afraid that if Merissa's friends see her in the condition they are in, they will freak out.

3-Merissa would be upset if her friends saw her in this condition.

So Shannon said as soon as the docs will allow friends to visit, he will let everyone know. The best thing anyone can do is pray.

I was able to stop by the hospital after work today. The doctors took out her respirator and Merissa was able to breathe without it for almost four hours, which is great news. She also has opened her eyes a bit when they have asked her, meaning she is respond. The doctors also put a feeding tube to her stomach so they could get something more than just an IV in her. The doctors have also discussed the possibility of putting a trachea in to continue to help her breathe. Merissa's parents Shannon and Alicia are both looking a bit better as they have not rested much in the past week as anyone can imagine.

Let's just continue to pray for Merissa and her family.

QUOTE(MWfamilyfriend @ Feb 19 2007 - 06:35 PM) 826379759[/snapback]I was able to stop by the hospital after work today. The doctors took out her respirator and Merissa was able to breathe without it for almost four hours, which is great news. She also has opened her eyes a bit when they have asked her, meaning she is respond. The doctors also put a feeding tube to her stomach so they could get something more than just an IV in her. The doctors have also discussed the possibility of putting a trachea in to continue to help her breathe. Merissa's parents Shannon and Alicia are both looking a bit better as they have not rested much in the past week as anyone can imagine.

Let's just continue to pray for Merissa and her family.

Having been thru a similar situation with my 9 year old son, I know the wear on her parents. It is tough to see your child in that situation. The best thing we found was to pray and depend on God to take care of things. We serve a BIG God, and he is in control. We continue to pray for her and her family, and I can assure you the thoughts and prayers from the Coacht family are a great comfort. We are with you Merissa from Obion Co.

Another update on Merissa...

The doctors have completely removed her ventilator, they are wanting her to come out of the coma on her own and as she does there was concern she could try to remove the ventilator herself so this is a precaution but it appears to me that it also shows that she has done well breathing on her own.

Also, the most recent CAT scan of her brain showed that a lot of the swelling of her brain has gone down. The doctors were definitely more encouraging of her long-term recovery and prognosis. She still has a long recovery period in front of her but the way things appear right now the doctors don't see any reason why she won't be able to attend college (she's just a high school junior so any talk of college is still about a year and a half away). Also, there is a lot of discussion going on about how soon the drainage tube may be removed from her head and right now it appears that will occur sooner versus later.

Keep those prayers coming, they are being answered!