Scrimmages - Do they really mean anything?

OnThePitch

I think it's really up to the coaches. Some coaches want to see how their teams stack up with top notch teams, while others want to try out new things and use scrimmages as a learning experience. I personally think that they are important for a team's pride, playing well against a really good team always lifts spirits. I also think its a time to try new things, when winning isn't very important. In my opinion, the balance of these things is where the value of scrimmages is.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(OnThePitch @ Feb 19 2007 - 10:48 AM) 826378998[/snapback]Many posters put a lot of emphasis on how teams do in scrimmages? Why? Better coaches without egos, try lots of combinations to see what works and doesn't and some coaches do whatever it takes to win to say they won. If I was a coach, I would rather have a look at what I have so when the season starts, I am good to go. Scrimmages season is fixing to begin and some give so much power to it , I just don't see it , how about you?

Different teams look for different things in scrimmages. It all depends on what both teams are up to. I think scrimmage definitely shows what most teams are going to be like during the season, than again it can be misleading at times. I believe in the results of scrimmage base on the teams playing.

QUOTE(Chizaggi @ Feb 28 2007 - 10:09 PM) 826394215[/snapback]Different teams look for different things in scrimmages. It all depends on what both teams are up to. I think scrimmage definitely shows what most teams are going to be like during the season, than again it can be misleading at times. I believe in the results of scrimmage base on the teams playing.

Winning scrimmages can be a huge confidence booster, but all in all they mean nothing

I think it is the up to the coach if it means something. Some experiment, others like to play "mind" games with "future" tournament opponents. I do think for whatever motive the coach has it does mean something in his/her prep. for the season. Just an observation for many years.

QUOTE(Monkey Wrench @ Mar 1 2007 - 07:07 PM) 826395623[/snapback]Winning scrimmages can be a huge confidence booster, but all in all they mean nothing

They are just scrimmages , but that doesn't mean that they don't mean nothing. Its not only a confidence booster aswell, it can also be a way of helping coaches know their team better, test their strength and weaknesses and other factors. We can agree to disagree, but I think the result of scrimmages indicates a lot and again base on the teams involve.

QUOTE(Chizaggi @ Mar 2 2007 - 07:19 AM) 826396466[/snapback]They are just scrimmages , but that doesn't mean that they don't mean nothing. Its not only a confidence booster aswell, it can also be a way of helping coaches know their team better, test their strength and weaknesses and other factors. We can agree to disagree, but I think the result of scrimmages indicates a lot and again base on the teams involve.

Very good post, you seem to have mellowed this year, That's great!! I hope I have too.

Good Luck this year!!

QUOTE(Lion101 @ Mar 2 2007 - 08:24 PM) 826397507[/snapback]Very good post, you seem to have mellowed this year, That's great!! I hope I have too.

Good Luck this year!!

He was a rather mellow fellow last year... I believe it was one of his team mates that was a little less "mellow" (to use your choice of words). I can't remember his screen name...

Good luck this season, Chizaggi. You are a fun player to watch!

QUOTE(BigG @ Mar 2 2007 - 08:40 PM) 826397540[/snapback]He was a rather mellow fellow last year... I believe it was one of his team mates that was a little less "mellow" (to use your choice of words). I can't remember his screen name...

Good luck this season, Chizaggi. You are a fun player to watch!

Thanks BigG, Good luck this season. You guys are always a team to contend with year after year.

Lion101 your point was a lil off, but I'll take it as it was given ( as a compliment) thanks.