Union City Girls Basketball

uctfan

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Themightymac @ Feb 20 2007 - 01:12 PM) 826381193[/snapback]Now boys and girls, let us not forget that Gleason did get beat by LC just a week ago. I personally think that UC will beat them as well. Gleason impressed me durring the season, but they looked much weaker durring tourament play. I will not speculate as to why.

Lets see Gleason has beat U.C. by 4 the first time. Then there was all this talk about how U.C. could hang with them the second time, well they did until the game started. A 27 point defeat don't do good things for moral. Gleason will be in the regional finals, there opponents should be L.C., however, they could be upset. I hope not would like to see a rematch. I know what you're saying, we have been playing really good and Gleason has been playing bad. trust me friends when it is a loser go home match, Gleason is the favorite.

mrbigster, the Union City Gleason game may be closer than I'm expecting, & Union City may win it, but I'm feeling another 27 point win by Gleason. Ok, maybe not 27 but as Man in Black said, Gleason is the favorite in a loser go home match.

As for tonight, UC has been playing good ball, but the third time may be a charm for LC. It is hard to beat a good team 3 times in the same season, but this one could definitely go either way. Like you said though, both #1 or #2 would be preferable at this point. LC & UC can obviously beat Humboldt, so I just hope both teams come to win. I just gave my prediction to a LC alum, & my prediction was 80-79 as well.

QUOTE(sbl0702 @ Feb 20 2007 - 12:18 PM) 826380857[/snapback]OC your a pretty intelligent poster most of the time! Coach Chandler has done what he needs to to compete in A ball, but if you think that UC girls success is solely because of Chandler you are mightly mistaken. UC girls would still be terrible if they remained in AA. The boys team however would still be competing at the same level. All this to say that the main reason that UC girls has begun to win and compete in district championships is their drop from double A!!!! Now I know they belong in single A but lets call it how it is. If past girls coaches were still there at UC they would be competing at the same level UC girls are right now!!

sbl

I don't believe I ever said they would be as good in AA....They would be a little more competitve,no doubt,but there are way too many dominating teams in AA...I know that..Do you actually believe that was some earth shattering comment????..I don't believe there are many people that follow Union City girls basketball that would tell you if they had been playing in 13AA the last two years,they would have played for a district championship....But I'm sorry you are pretty much wrong on your comment about any other coach could have them doing this in 1A....I have sat through WAYYYYY too many games in which this girls program was sooooo far behind their competition fundamentally it was almost comical....They couldn't dribble,shoot,play defense,run any sort of set pattern..There were MANY nights they had more turnovers than points....They would not get beat by 8-10 points,it was more like 30-40-50 points and some nights even more......These girls have a coach that has dealt with way too many other things in this program outside of basketball that has kept them back in past years and he has the girls believing in his system and winning...Of any of the past coaches,I believe maybe only Danny Truett or Donnie Braswell would have had these girls playing the way they are now....

But in reality this was not a thread started to tarnish what Union City's girls and Jeff Chandler have done in the last four years,it is more a celebration to what they have accomplished........And to followers,especially alumni,who have seen where this program came from,it's almost a miracle....Like I said in my earlier post,people OUTSIDE the program won't think it's too much of an accomplishment....

QUOTE(Man in Black @ Feb 20 2007 - 10:29 AM) 826380703[/snapback]Let me say first congrats on winning the district. I am sorry but there will be no sub-state this year. You are on the same side with Gleason. So, it is great that ya'll won the district and made it to the region, as well as probably to the region semis. it will be over there though, I will pick Gleason to win the region and Lake County runner-up. Just my opinion

You are probably right about your picks...Union City does have a 10-3 record the last 13 games,but one was a big blowout loss at home to Gleason 53-27......Since UC moved down,Gleason has been their thorn in the side....Union City has actually held their own against Gleason at Gleason and the one game in South Fulton last year in the district finals.....Last year in Gleason,the Lady Bulldogs won 47-41 and at South Fulton,Gleason won 45-38...This year in Gleason,the Lady Tornadoes fell 41-37....Last year in UC,Gleason won by another large margin,55-31...Weird how that has worked out....But,you can't put the cart before the horse..Union City still has to win their quarter-final game as does Gleason to set that game up...