Girls Lacrosse

boomer5

QUOTE(10lax @ Apr 28 2007 - 08:54 AM) 826447395[/snapback]The state tournament is going to be very competitive this year.

I think Harpeth Hall is a slight favorite based on their head-to-head performance with the other teams. Ravenwood is recovering from a slow start and their convincing victory over Franklin shows that they are peaking at the right time. Houston and Hutchinson are also playing well and have strong goaltending. GPS could also contend, but is hard to gauge their team since they have not faced Houston and Hutchinson. Franklin appeared to be in the mix, but three losses at the end of the year have them going in the wrong direction.

The tournament will likely be decided by ball control and defense.

I agree. GPS has strong players and shouldn't be counted out. I believe that it could possibly be a Nashville vs. Memphis team in the Finals, which (as far as I know) has never happened before. Lacrosse has exploded in Memphis and its easy to see that competition has risen everywhere in the state. I think that Harpeth, Hutchison, Houston, and Ravenwood are the biggest contenders this year. Games between all teams have been close and intense. Hutchison does indeed have a fantastic goalie. Houston will most likely be playing Ravenwood on Sunday. I think Harpeth and Hutchison have byes this week.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(acquirethafire13 @ Apr 28 2007 - 10:58 AM) 826447427[/snapback]I agree. GPS has strong players and shouldn't be counted out. I believe that it could possibly be a Nashville vs. Memphis team in the Finals, which (as far as I know) has never happened before. Lacrosse has exploded in Memphis and its easy to see that competition has risen everywhere in the state. I think that Harpeth, Hutchison, Houston, and Ravenwood are the biggest contenders this year. Games between all teams have been close and intense. Hutchison does indeed have a fantastic goalie. Houston will most likely be playing Ravenwood on Sunday. I think Harpeth and Hutchison have byes this week.

I agree. Which is why i think its weird that Houston and Ravenwood play in the quarter finals.....i would think that both teams should make it to the semis. Do fanklin and GPS play each other?

The Postseason Bracket:

Game #1: 1. Harpeth Hall vs. 8. Father Ryan OR 7. Ensworth

Game #2: 4. Houston vs. 5. Ravenwood

Game #3: 3. Franklin vs. 6. GPS

Game #4: 2. Hutchison vs. 7. St. George's

Game #5: Winner of the 1 and 2 game will play each other in semis

Game #6: Winner of the 3 and 4 game will play each other in semis

Winner of the 5 and 6 games will play in the finals.

QUOTE(acquirethafire13 @ Apr 27 2007 - 10:01 PM) 826447209[/snapback]Houston ended this week with three wins. They now move into the post season with only three losses.

While i dont agree with the way the bracket is set up ( in other words, the fact that ravenwood, houston, and harpeth hall are on one side while only hutchinson is on the other, thus giving them the path to the championship) i dont think that teams are being looked at correctly. While Houston may only have 3 losses, they did not have the schedule strength that Ravenwood and Harpeth hall did. i totally believe that Ravenwood is peaking at the right time and it will give them quite the advantage going into tournament play.

QUOTE(lacrosse101 @ Apr 30 2007 - 11:17 PM) 826448838[/snapback]While i dont agree with the way the bracket is set up ( in other words, the fact that ravenwood, houston, and harpeth hall are on one side while only hutchinson is on the other, thus giving them the path to the championship) i dont think that teams are being looked at correctly. While Houston may only have 3 losses, they did not have the schedule strength that Ravenwood and Harpeth hall did. i totally believe that Ravenwood is peaking at the right time and it will give them quite the advantage going into tournament play.

I agree...laxpower shows that ravenwood had the toughest schedule this year and i believe it will give them some advantage over teams that chose to keep their schedule easy to protect their record. I think that this could be one of the toughest state tournaments we've had yet. I'm very excited to see how it all turns out.

QUOTE(laxplyr @ May 2 2007 - 09:22 PM) 826450453[/snapback]I agree...laxpower shows that ravenwood had the toughest schedule this year and i believe it will give them some advantage over teams that chose to keep their schedule easy to protect their record. I think that this could be one of the toughest state tournaments we've had yet. I'm very excited to see how it all turns out.

It is going to be a good tournament.

Computers help crunch numbers, but lets not go BCS. There are strong teams and there are developing teams. Unfortunately girls lacrosse is not to the stage where strong teams only schedule strong teams.

Ravenwood does have a high strength of schedule in laxpower. However, their schedule is very comparable to Harpeth Hall's. Harpeth Hall's strength of schedule is weakened by a game against Knoxville that was not even on their schedule. Houston played a good schedule but they had to play two teams that were 0-8, which brings down their strength of schedule.

If you wanted to just use laxpower then Houston would be the number 1 seed and Harpeth Hall number 2 even though Harpeth Hall beat them and has not lost to a school from Tennessee in 2 years. Pulling the starters mid way through the second half against Ensworth obviously hurt Harpeth Hall in the eyes of the computer since they only won by 8 rather than 10 or more.

Against the top 6 schools these are the head-to-head records:

Harpeth Hall 6-0

Ravenwood 3-5

Houston 1-3

Hutchinson 3-1

GPS 1-2

Franklin 1-4

The level of girls lacrosse is better than ever. Many of the head-to-head games were decided by one goal or in overtime, which is why it is going to be such a good tournament.

all in all i think this is going to be one of the toughest tournaments ever with 3 top seeders battling it out for the championship seat. Anything can happen in tournament time, and i feel that the underdogs have a good shot. While Harpeth hall has its tradition, Ravenwood and Houston have the drive which could give the champs a run for their money.

this tournament will be the best yet. houston, hutchison, and harpeth hall are some of the biggest contenders. the quarterfinal games on sunday will be big determinants. the most difficult game will probably be the houston/ravenwood game. the winner of that game has a good chance of going all the way. it will be even more intense than the previous times houston and ravenwood have met (houston won first game by 4, ravenwood won second game by 1 in ot). its a toss up as to who will win. ravenwood started off slow but has picked it up towards the end of the season. since every team has progressed, this year could possibly have two memphis teams in the finals, which has never happened before. last year hutch was good (recall megan gibson) but this year they have a more well-rounded team which is why they are so strong.

QUOTE(acquirethafire13 @ May 6 2007 - 07:29 PM) 826453031[/snapback]Semis:

Hutchison vs. GPS @ 6:00 friday night

Ravenwood vs. Harpeth Hall @ 8:00 friday night

Do you know what the scores of the games?

Actually, Harpeth Hall plays Father Ryan tonight for the opportunity to play Ravenwood.

QUOTE(10lax @ May 7 2007 - 09:20 AM) 826453312[/snapback]Do you know what the scores of the games?

Actually, Harpeth Hall plays Father Ryan tonight for the opportunity to play Ravenwood.

The match ups listed above are what that person projects to be the semi final match ups. But, Hutchison and GPS will be playing for sure Friday night at 6.

And franklin won't be playing in the semi finals because they lost to GPS in the quarter finals 11-3.