CPA Wrestling Program Dropped?

tnmat

I have just been informed that Christ Presbyterian Academy's wrestling program may be dropped. One person said that it is because they are having difficulty finding qualified coaches and numbers are down every year. Does anyone have any information about this? Is there anything we can do to keep this from happening?

QUOTE(tnmat @ Feb 24 2007 - 10:37 AM) 826387137[/snapback]I have just been informed that Christ Presbyterian Academy's wrestling program may be dropped. One person said that it is because they are having difficulty finding qualified coaches and numbers are down every year. Does anyone have any information about this? Is there anything we can do to keep this from happening?

I do not think that surprises anyone in Region 6. CPA's emphasis has always seemed to be one of football first, with what seemed to be (and was constantly rumored ) little support for their high school wrestling program. The two seasons prior to this one they showed up at matches with only 2-3 wrestlers and entered only two in this year's Region 6 tournament. For several years they had some good kids in their middle school program who disappeared from the wrestling scene once they hit high school, but I understand that the middle school program is struggling now as well. This is a shame since that school has a lot of quality athletes who, with coaching and support, could produce a competitive wrestling program. Those kids who are football players that choose wrestle will find that wrestling will help them with football.

You get out of a program what you put into it and CPA seems to be placing very emphasis on wrestling. They need to go back to the basics and build their middle school program to where they have around 30 kids in grades 6-8 wrestling. That will allow them to become competitive in 3-5 years on the varsity level. There are many good former wrestlers living close to the CPA campus but if the adminstration does not care about wrestling then they are not going to seek out a good coach.

This is pretty sad in my opinion, I wrestled at CPA in middle school and ended up leaving before I wrestled in high school but the wrestling program started deminish when Mike Reasons left and soon after that Mike Wall followed as well. It would be a shame to see CPA drop there wrestling program, it would be something if they got good enough to start to challenge FRA each year or other smalls schools because they have the talent.