the refs

uncfan09

You know people, I know that we don't get paid that well, but yes, we earn our money with all of the crap that we have to take plus more. I know that the crowd is there to watch the kids play, but when they do something wrong, they are gonna get busted for it. As far as calling it on both ends, there may be contact on one end and not on the other. So if you don't know what is going on out there, just sit back and watch the game from a refs point of view and see what you think then.

You guys can fight your own battles on here. I'm sick of it. I'm out.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(MLREB @ Feb 28 2007 - 09:29 AM) 826392886[/snapback]Just a few comments on the refs.....yes....some are not very good....they do have bad games.. but for the most part they do a good job.

Here is my biggest issue with the refs. They are paid, at the highschool level, $35.00 per game. That is a sad and pathetic salary considering the crap and abuse they take. Please correct me if I am wrong...in North Carolina they make $75 per game and in Georgia the pay in $100 per game. If true it's typical Tennessee....lagging behind most of the southeast and the country.

I would like to know what school is only paying their refs $35.00. We are over paying big time.

QUOTE(sportiemom @ Feb 28 2007 - 09:55 AM) 826393038[/snapback]I would like to know what school is only paying their refs $35.00. We are over paying big time.

Maybe thats why Springfield had bad refs,and that why I and other fans were complaining, we aint paying them good enough...naw Im just kidding, I thought I heard we pay them 50, not sure

Yea Im with dawg forgot complaining we cant do nothing about it unless we sign up to ref and we are just beating a dead dead dead horse.

QUOTE(MLREB @ Feb 28 2007 - 08:29 AM) 826392886[/snapback]Just a few comments on the refs.....yes....some are not very good....they do have bad games.. but for the most part they do a good job.

Here is my biggest issue with the refs. They are paid, at the highschool level, $35.00 per game. That is a sad and pathetic salary considering the crap and abuse they take. Please correct me if I am wrong...in North Carolina they make $75 per game and in Georgia the pay in $100 per game. If true it's typical Tennessee....lagging behind most of the southeast and the country.

$35 x 2 = $70. Pretty good money if you ask me for what 2-2.5 hrs. of work..There are lots who work for a lot less. And people who ref choose to do so, They are not getting drafted..I do agree Tennesse is lacking in there pay though.

QUOTE(BigDaddy_1 @ Feb 28 2007 - 06:35 PM) 826393783[/snapback]$35 x 2 = $70. Pretty good money if you ask me for what 2-2.5 hrs. of work..There are lots who work for a lot less. And people who ref choose to do so, They are not getting drafted..I do agree Tennesse is lacking in there pay though.

you might be off a few hours, how about travel to and from games with gas getting back to close to 2.50 a gallon and I am pretty sure they do not walk in the gym and start the game. I think they are suppose to be at the gym 45 minutes to an hour before the games so on a good night I would guess you are looking at a four to five hour night maybe more

From what I been seeing we are paying them too much. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> The ones from Memphis that called the Dyer Co. game had NO clue what a charge is. None what so ever. This happened on both sides of the ball. The players would knock each other down right in front of the refs and they would do nothing. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> The next time down the court they would barely touch one another and they would blow a whistle. /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> I just don't understand?

QUOTE(tex @ Feb 28 2007 - 06:59 PM) 826393812[/snapback]you might be off a few hours, how about travel to and from games with gas getting back to close to 2.50 a gallon and I am pretty sure they do not walk in the gym and start the game. I think they are suppose to be at the gym 45 minutes to an hour before the games so on a good night I would guess you are looking at a four to five hour night maybe more

Not trying to get into a spitting match, but how many people get paid for travel time? Gas is still the same price for everyone else who doesn't get paid travel time. So they are there for 3+ hours.. Still better money per hour than most jobs..

QUOTE(BigDaddy_1 @ Feb 28 2007 - 10:02 PM) 826394188[/snapback]Not trying to get into a spitting match, but how many people get paid for travel time? Gas is still the same price for everyone else who doesn't get paid travel time. So they are there for 3+ hours.. Still better money per hour than most jobs..

Not to argue, but in most jobs that require travel the employee is compensated someway but put that aside for the moment I assume you are from Livingston so let's say a Ref from there has to go to Murfreesboro to work a game about a hour and half trip one way, get to the school an hour before tip, three hours to work two games, hour and a half trip back home. Now by my math that is seven hours, and there are plenty of things I would do for ten bucks an hour before I would go ref and put up with that kind hassle.In my mind there is no way you can elminate the travel from the pay equation. With all that said I agree with most of the posts I would like to see the refs do a better job and realise they are there for the game not the other way around!

QUOTE(tex @ Feb 28 2007 - 11:10 PM) 826394381[/snapback]Not to argue, but in most jobs that require travel the employee is compensated someway but put that aside for the moment I assume you are from Livingston so let's say a Ref from there has to go to Murfreesboro to work a game about a hour and half trip one way, get to the school an hour before tip, three hours to work two games, hour and a half trip back home. Now by my math that is seven hours, and there are plenty of things I would do for ten bucks an hour before I would go ref and put up with that kind hassle.In my mind there is no way you can elminate the travel from the pay equation. With all that said I agree with most of the posts I would like to see the refs do a better job and realise they are there for the game not the other way around!

Hey Tex, let their tax preparer work out their mileage...Again, not to argue but people drive from Livingston to Nashville, Knoxville,etc. everyday for work without travel compensation. I am not trying to change your mind, just trying to make my point as well..I agree, I would not ref for $100+/game..I guess I am trying to say they are not doing this by force, most work full time and do this for extra money(and I don't blame because we could all use the extra money, Right?) I would think it is tough and I don't expect them to make all the calls. But, consistency goes a long way with me as long as it is both ways...And you are right, they are here for the game and not the other way around.

QUOTE(BigDaddy_1 @ Feb 28 2007 - 11:34 PM) 826394420[/snapback]Hey Tex, let their tax preparer work out their mileage...Again, not to argue but people drive from Livingston to Nashville, Knoxville,etc. everyday for work without travel compensation. I am not trying to change your mind, just trying to make my point as well..I agree, I would not ref for $100+/game..I guess I am trying to say they are not doing this by force, most work full time and do this for extra money(and I don't blame because we could all use the extra money, Right?) I would think it is tough and I don't expect them to make all the calls. But, consistency goes a long way with me as long as it is both ways...And you are right, they are here for the game and not the other way around.

I agree 100 percent that no one is holding a gun to anyones making them referee and if you talk to a ref they will probably want all the games they can get. My only real point in all of this is I have heard for many years "the refs are making X number of dollars an hour..." well not really considering travel cost but it is the same if a person lives in Livingston and drives to Nashville to work, the time and expense has to be considered.Big Daddy, I have enjoyed discussing this with you......Good Luck to the Lady Wildcats thre rest of the way!!!!

QUOTE(tex @ Mar 1 2007 - 08:30 AM) 826394623[/snapback]I agree 100 percent that no one is holding a gun to anyones making them referee and if you talk to a ref they will probably want all the games they can get. My only real point in all of this is I have heard for many years "the refs are making X number of dollars an hour..." well not really considering travel cost but it is the same if a person lives in Livingston and drives to Nashville to work, the time and expense has to be considered.Big Daddy, I have enjoyed discussing this with you......Good Luck to the Lady Wildcats thre rest of the way!!!!

Thanks Tex for wishing our Lady Wildcats well...The discussion has been good..See you around!