50% rule

jackass

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JustDoIt1 @ Mar 21 2007 - 11:32 AM) 826419316[/snapback]AAU is a heckuva rec league! Virtually all college players have one thing in common they all played AAU basketball. Tell you what you put together your best team of non AAU players in your area, send them to just a mid level AAU tourney, I bet your rec team looses by 20 + in every game. You are right there are AAU organizations that have money as major incentive but the majority are playing to provide the opportunity to improve their players bball skills.

I didn't say the teams or players weren't good. I'm talking about the driving force behind the scenes. My son plays on an AAU team(decent team). He uses it to gain floor experience for what really counts, his high school season. I'm sure he would like to play college ball, as I did(mostly on the bench, mind you). But he is also realistic. More money available for academics than athletics. Not every kid who plays AAU will play college ball. Many more of them won't than will. AAU is fun to play and the game is pretty much wide open and not as structured as high school ball. But, the organization itself and the tournaments are about $$$.

QUOTE(old44 @ Mar 26 2007 - 07:46 AM) 826422870[/snapback]I didn't say the teams or players weren't good. I'm talking about the driving force behind the scenes. My son plays on an AAU team(decent team). He uses it to gain floor experience for what really counts, his high school season. I'm sure he would like to play college ball, as I did(mostly on the bench, mind you). But he is also realistic. More money available for academics than athletics. Not every kid who plays AAU will play college ball. Many more of them won't than will. AAU is fun to play and the game is pretty much wide open and not as structured as high school ball. But, the organization itself and the tournaments are about $$$.

And you don't think the TSSAA is about money? LOL. By the way when was the last time you walked into a free High School game? Its all about money at some level.

QUOTE(JustDoIt1 @ Mar 26 2007 - 10:01 AM) 826422876[/snapback]And you don't think the TSSAA is about money? LOL. By the way when was the last time you walked into a free High School game? Its all about money at some level.

Sure they are! But,(my opinion, no one has to agree) is that high school sports are the only true form of sport left. I'm talking about the rivalries and community participation. The pride that one should have in representing your school and community. And state athletic assoc. across the country are ruining that as well.

One thing to notice; when the announcers are listing college players on radio or TV, they always list their high school, not their aau affiliation.