Massive Pole Vault Controversy

Guest kenwoodrun

I vault, and i think that it would be a horrible waste to rid track and field of pole vaulting. It is something that slow people like me can do and have fun doing. My coach just recently purchased more padding to make it safe for myself to vault on, and he payed for it out of his own pocket. So if an individual team doesnt want the vault to happen, then they shouldnt have people to do, but dont ruin it for the teams that like it and like the competition that comes from it

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I coach track and have eliminated the pole vault for two reason. 1. I can't afford to replace my mat, 2. I don't feel comfortable coaching it. I do lose points when I enter track meets, but that is alright. This is an event that is overly priced. The only other event that compares in price is the hurdles. High schools that are in large school systems like myself have to raise money for buses, replacing track equipment, uniforms, and anything at all that my track team does.

Guest kenwoodrun

I assume when you say "we" you aren't speaking on behalf of the entire coaching community. I think our brethren in DII especially would take exception to that statement.

I'm saying that if a school is simply glad to have the money and wherewithal to do the pole and they're doing it in order to advance the kids, then they would have no trouble in making it a nonscoring event for the athletes and the teams. The event's elimination, in that case, would have no impact on the team scoring. If a school is keeping it just to boost their score against schools in the unfortunate situation of being unable to compete, then of course those schools are going to be upset in losing their unfair advantage. Furthermore, schools who cannot field pole vaulters would be pleased if the event did not impact the team scoring.

We have a girl on our team who could do the pole vault, very well I might add. I would dare say she could get points in the state meet if she was attending a school that competed in the event. As of now, we're not even allowed to compete for various reasons. That's why I say in all fairness, the event should be eliminated, at the very least for team scoring.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BAownzFHS

im a vaulter for brentwood academy and i believe the pole vault should stay as an event and remain as a team scoring event as well.....you talk about schools taking advantage of other schools b/c they have a good vaulter that will score and the other schools dont...try this my coach started me on vault when i was in 6th grade and i have done it ever since then and vaulted 14 feet last year, if a teams coaches are dedicated enough to put their time forward and train a vaulter then every school would potentially have the chance to score....the vault should not be eliminated if i die doing it then then atleast i know im gonna die doing something i love to do. I score in every single meet i have ever been to in the vault and i think my coach deserves to have me score and gt him 1st place after the 6 yrs he has put into me i thank him for all of his time and i think that any coach who is willing to put that kind of time into a vaulter then that coach deserves to have points come from it.

P.S. i am depending on a scholarship from pole vault / decathlon and if pole vault is eliminated then that affects my life.

Bradley Central High School has worked their butts off to raise $11,000.00 just specifically for the pole vault mats, and accessories, for a select 2 or 3 kids that vault at the school. I am very proud of their program and the dedication from all the kids and parents who worked so hard to make it happen. A Vaulters sport is just important to them as a runners is. Our kids have missed practice once a week to go out and work for donations, we have had barbeques, Valentine gift basket drwings during the b-ball games, sold candles, jewelry, and tons of CANDY,not to mention countless donations by local merchants. It might be hard and that is why alot of schools don't want to do it or have it- but if it is important- as it should be, and treated like any other sport- it can be done. It won't be easy- but you'll get there- we did! We are only a thousand dollars away from reaching our goal, and we only started about 3 months ago!!! ;):):D:):):):)

It is TRACK and FIELD- not just track!

[Edited by peacemaker on 3-11-03 12:16P]

I didnt mean my post to be directed at you. I was just posting as a praise for all the hard workers we have had to contribute to our program. I don't understand why you are not allowed? What does that mean? Who says you can't compete and what are their reasons? Is it your equipment or new safety procedures or what? As far as I know we are allowed???????? That is sad- but if you are not allowed then you you just are not allowed- its not your fault- and in that case I understand your point about not scoring in the event- that wouldn't be fair.Is it TSSAA or just a school thing?

:confused:

Sorry to hear that- I don't understand how an insurance can cover for one school and not another. Although I am sure it is just the policy guidelines. I am really sorry to hear that! I definitely do understand your position then in the case of scoring the pole vault. Obviously at your home meets it can't be scored because it won't even be in the meet.

Is this the norm at other schools? Do alot of schools insurance not cover the pole vault, or is it just your school? If it is the norm then they just need to do away with it altogether, I guess?

Well C ya soon- and keep working hard! ;)