TSSAA forming THSA?

BigG

QUOTE(supersteve17 @ Mar 26 2007 - 01:41 PM) 826423093[/snapback]So the state champion should come from Memphis and Nashville every year or at least very frequently? (I think their population bases are about the same and are considerably larger than any other SMSA in the state.)

BTW, don't tell Livingston Academy about your "theory." They defied that one pretty well a couple of years ago. Trousdale does a pretty good job of defying it almost every year. Milan, South Pittsburg, etc. have also missed that one.

Memphis and Nashville would win the title most every year in smaller classes. Most small private schools are in largely populated areas (mostly Nashville). There are no small public schools in those cities except for magnets.

The Nashville privates did win several titles before the multiplier.

Milan had most of their success with an open zone is a county of about 60,000 or so. LA did defy the odds. The larger the class...the less population base matters.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Antwan @ Mar 29 2007 - 12:00 PM) 826425855[/snapback]The larger the class...the less population base matters.

You might think that. But if you look at the actual data, it turns out elsehow. Only five counties have produced a 5A football champion since the split (Rutherford with five, Williamson two, and one each for Hamilton, Sevier, and Shelby)--to find a truly rural champion, you have to go back to 1993 when Lincoln County won the very first 5A title. Even adding in the silver balls, you get only two more counties, and they are also among the state's largest--Davidson and Sumner.

Looking at some other sports, AAA boys basketball has never been won by a team from a rural county--winners have been from the big four plus Bradley, Washington (granted, the county isn't all that big, but Johnson City is a legit city), Williamson, and most recently Blount. Admittedly, there are judgment calls involved, but the last one I'd call rural was Hampton in 1960. At the second-place level, Shelbyville in 2006 is a notable recent one.

In girls basketball, the rurals have been more successful, especially the hotbed in District 8.

Baseball, you'd have to go back to Warren County in 1992; in softball, a case can be made for Dickson County (2002), and before that back to Morristown East in 1980.

I'm sorry Mr. MPHS is not going to be around to see and reply, (have a nice time at the beach) but he has stated several times something like "MP can only get its kids out of the MP zone." That is not altogether true as I have pointed out in another thread. Any kid in Maury County can go to MP without too much trouble. Every public high school in the county has unique course offerings and students may attend out of zone if they apply for those unique classes. The application has to be approved, but not many of the schools in Maury County are overcrowded, especially the smaller rural ones (like MP, Santa Fe, Culleoka, Hampshire). This makes approval a formality in most cases. I still would bet, if I was a betting man, that MP has at least a couple of kids that play sports from outside the MP "zone." His pond is bigger than he will admit (like Culleoka's for basketball).

QUOTE(silverpie @ Mar 29 2007 - 03:31 PM) 826425953[/snapback]You might think that. But if you look at the actual data, it turns out elsehow. Only five counties have produced a 5A football champion since the split (Rutherford with five, Williamson two, and one each for Hamilton, Sevier, and Shelby)--to find a truly rural champion, you have to go back to 1993 when Lincoln County won the very first 5A title. Even adding in the silver balls, you get only two more counties, and they are also among the state's largest--Davidson and Sumner.

Looking at some other sports, AAA boys basketball has never been won by a team from a rural county--winners have been from the big four plus Bradley, Washington (granted, the county isn't all that big, but Johnson City is a legit city), Williamson, and most recently Blount. Admittedly, there are judgment calls involved, but the last one I'd call rural was Hampton in 1960. At the second-place level, Shelbyville in 2006 is a notable recent one.

In girls basketball, the rurals have been more successful, especially the hotbed in District 8.

Baseball, you'd have to go back to Warren County in 1992; in softball, a case can be made for Dickson County (2002), and before that back to Morristown East in 1980.

I was talking about small schools...mainly 1a and 2a. Obviously...population base is the reason for the multiplier. Most private schools are small...and are in large populated areas.

I think some of the reason for those counties having most of the titles is because there are more schools in those counties...hence...more of a chance to win a title.

QUOTE(Antwan @ Mar 29 2007 - 08:26 PM) 826426110[/snapback]I was talking about small schools...mainly 1a and 2a. Obviously...population base is the reason for the multiplier. Most private schools are small...and are in large populated areas.

I think some of the reason for those counties having most of the titles is because there are more schools in those counties...hence...more of a chance to win a title.

Are you and MPHSLilKitty the same guy? He "goes to the beach" and then suddenly you reappear! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Just yanking your chain. Good to have you back. How's the Bethel softballers doing?

QUOTE(tnsddeveloper @ Mar 29 2007 - 08:50 PM) 826426136[/snapback]Are you and MPHSLilKitty the same guy? He "goes to the beach" and then suddenly you reappear! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Just yanking your chain. Good to have you back. How's the Bethel softballers doing?

Fairly well...they can beat anybody and get beat by anybody. They've done pretty well considering they lost 6 starters and moved to the TranSouth.

Every game is tough. They were down to 9 players last week at Cumberland. I think they are back up to 11 now. There was also a VG sighting at Lambuth last Tuesday. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

QUOTE(Antwan @ Mar 29 2007 - 08:16 PM) 826426161[/snapback]Fairly well...they can beat anybody and get beat by anybody. They've done pretty well considering they lost 6 starters and moved to the TranSouth.

Every game is tough. They were down to 9 players last week at Cumberland. I think they are back up to 11 now. There was also a VG sighting at Lambuth last Tuesday. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Hey...Watching all those nice looking Belmont girls is the closest thing I have to going to the beach. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

VG (who now officially believes in the theory of evolution after having met Antwan and then his daughter) /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Mar 29 2007 - 07:55 AM) 826425572[/snapback]I have given analogies over and over. I have discussed it with two different private posters who atleast agree with me to a point that a wide draw is an advantage (BigG and FCS). You havent answered this question. Is it ok for for Tennessee to just recruit in state "zone" why the rest of the SEC gets to recruit their own state and the entire nation. Im sure you will come up with answer to make it right LOL. Too bad I wont get to read it until next weekend. See ya I'm off to the beach.

I have been reading these posts for the past hour and getting a good laugh; just had to put my two cents worth in. Here's something for you to chew on when you get back from the beach, MtP. I agree, the privates do have some advantages, but if you move all of them into another division, then what's next? Where does it end? Even some of the so-called "rural" 1A publics have advantages over other 1A publics. MtP is a prime example. First of all, I would hardly call Mt Pleasant rural compared to PC, CW, WC, etc. When PC played at MtP, there were more kids on the field who didn't play football (cheerleaders, band, flag team, etc) than PC had on the football team; not to mention the 50-60 football players compared to PC's 25. I'm pretty sure MtP has a lot more kids to draw from than some of the really rural schools. Obviously, Mt P is not large enough to go up to 2A, but they are still a lot bigger than other schools. Does that mean we should create even more divisions? Of course not. I'm not going to say PC has no chance of beating MtP just because they have more kids. I really hope that someday PC will beat them, and if they do, the victory will be even sweeter because it's Mt Pleasant.

Just something for you to think about...

QUOTE(viking_fan @ Apr 4 2007 - 09:16 PM) 826430339[/snapback]I have been reading these posts for the past hour and getting a good laugh; just had to put my two cents worth in. Here's something for you to chew on when you get back from the beach, MtP. I agree, the privates do have some advantages, but if you move all of them into another division, then what's next? Where does it end? Even some of the so-called "rural" 1A publics have advantages over other 1A publics. MtP is a prime example. First of all, I would hardly call Mt Pleasant rural compared to PC, CW, WC, etc. When PC played at MtP, there were more kids on the field who didn't play football (cheerleaders, band, flag team, etc) than PC had on the football team; not to mention the 50-60 football players compared to PC's 25. I'm pretty sure MtP has a lot more kids to draw from than some of the really rural schools. Obviously, Mt P is not large enough to go up to 2A, but they are still a lot bigger than other schools. Does that mean we should create even more divisions? Of course not. I'm not going to say PC has no chance of beating MtP just because they have more kids. I really hope that someday PC will beat them, and if they do, the victory will be even sweeter because it's Mt Pleasant.

Just something for you to think about...

How refreshing! A public school supporter who can see some valid points that some of us have been making for quite a while! In spite of the fact that the private school I support has an overwhelmingly negative win-loss record versus public schools, I love it when we play them, especially now that we have been multiplied up to a larger classification. It makes the competitive challenge even better. I don't have kids competing any more, so I really don't have a dog in the hunt, but please don't split!

QUOTE(supersteve17 @ Apr 5 2007 - 10:06 AM) 826430564[/snapback]How refreshing! A public school supporter who can see some valid points that some of us have been making for quite a while! In spite of the fact that the private school I support has an overwhelmingly negative win-loss record versus public schools, I love it when we play them, especially now that we have been multiplied up to a larger classification. It makes the competitive challenge even better. I don't have kids competing any more, so I really don't have a dog in the hunt, but please don't split!

Thanks, SS. Another thing I might point out to MtP---there are actually two private schools in our region, and Pc beat both of them: CA and Zion Christian. I think Zion only won one game all season(if they won any at all, can't really remember, but I think they won one), so I don't think being a private school has helped them any. And of course, MtP beat both of those teams; they just happened to lose to a private school in the play-offs. But like I said before, I still do think they do have some advantages, I just don't think it's that big an issue. Of course, I might think differently if PC went to the play-offs and a private school knocked us out of going to the Blue Cross Bowl! LOL

QUOTE(takedown3 @ Apr 5 2007 - 04:26 PM) 826430887[/snapback]Based on MtP's posts it defies credulity that he could find his way to the beach. Please! No one tell him I posted this. He might go postal.

Oh, I have no doubt he can get to the beach. I just wonder if he can find the ocean! Just kidding. It sure is easy to pick on somebody when he's not around, huh? LOL.