best player

bc24

I absolutely can not be convinced that Mandy Mendenhall from Harpeth should not be discussed in this topic. This is a young lady who has not gotten the credit that she deserved in her high school career and will be an awesome player at the college level. I think so much has been put on the offensive side of the ball that when we discuss topics such as this we might lose focus on the all-around aspect of the game of basketball. Unlike the olden days, players are now expected to play defense as well as offense. Mendenhall placed more focus on that aspect of her game this year and really proved that she can be a great defender as well as scorer. She also placed more emphasis on involving her teammates rather than running the same old isolation play every trip down the court on offense. And for this reason, one of her teammates began to receive attention and has actually verbally committed to APSU. I commend her on her efforts to improve as an all-around player and know she will benefit from this greatly in college whether or not anyone else in the state notices. I only wish that she could have been recognized more for her accomplishments but believe that she has been looked over for the most part because she plays at a school that gets very little publicity.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(aj1133 @ Mar 22 2007 - 10:30 AM) 826420232[/snapback]I absolutely can not be convinced that Mandy Mendenhall from Harpeth should not be discussed in this topic. This is a young lady who has not gotten the credit that she deserved in her high school career and will be an awesome player at the college level. I think so much has been put on the offensive side of the ball that when we discuss topics such as this we might lose focus on the all-around aspect of the game of basketball. Unlike the olden days, players are now expected to play defense as well as offense. Mendenhall placed more focus on that aspect of her game this year and really proved that she can be a great defender as well as scorer. She also placed more emphasis on involving her teammates rather than running the same old isolation play every trip down the court on offense. And for this reason, one of her teammates began to receive attention and has actually verbally committed to APSU. I commend her on her efforts to improve as an all-around player and know she will benefit from this greatly in college whether or not anyone else in the state notices. I only wish that she could have been recognized more for her accomplishments but believe that she has been looked over for the most part because she plays at a school that gets very little publicity.

Really.......Never would have thought you would think of her /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE(briank @ Mar 22 2007 - 10:34 AM) 826420238[/snapback]Really.......Never would have thought you would think of her /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

You know my coach in High School was a defensive coach and always said defense wins games as I'm sure everyone on the High School level will agree and so do I. The well rounded player has got to be a defensive player as well as she can score. You have made an excellent reply and point. As for the girl you are talking about I haven't seen her play so talk about her some more and where is she going to college. Now when you get to college most coaches are all about scoring. They try to say defense but get right down to it , the go to girl is an offensive player unless she can block 20 shots a game. What do you think? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" My thinking face! One more point to make on an all rounded player is: She has to see the floor and know where she is and also her team mates. She has to be able to make the pass too, when needed. They also need a basketball smart that just comes naturally. Personal opinion of course.

Boy, Gleason fans are taking their shots at Oliver Springs's super sophmore Kayla Christopher while pating their senior star Kayla Hudsonon the back at the same time.

Couple points on comparing the two players.

Class difference:

Hudson is a senior. Christopher is sophomore.

Schedule difference:

Gleason played one of the worst Single A schedule playing an unorthodox style of play.

Oliver Springs played some of the elite AAA, AA, and A teams during the regular season.

College Recruiting:

Hudson signed with a NAIA school at Union. There is nothing wrong with that. Union is a good little NAIA school. She will do well there.

Christopher is most likely the top sophmore in TN in all classifications. She will most likely play in the SEC or ACC. She is being recruited that heavily.

These Gleason posters have been stuck on the farm too much.

QUOTE(OS91 @ Mar 22 2007 - 04:54 PM) 826420529[/snapback]Boy, Gleason fans are taking their shots at Oliver Springs's super sophmore Kayla Christopher while pating their senior star Kayla Hudsonon the back at the same time.

Couple points on comparing the two players.

Class difference:

Hudson is a senior. Christopher is sophomore.

Schedule difference:

Gleason played one of the worst Single A schedule playing an unorthodox style of play.

Oliver Springs played some of the elite AAA, AA, and A teams during the regular season.

College Recruiting:

Hudson signed with a NAIA school at Union. There is nothing wrong with that. Union is a good little NAIA school. She will do well there.

Christopher is most likely the top sophmore in TN in all classifications. She will most likely play in the SEC or ACC. She is being recruited that heavily.

These Gleason posters have been stuck on the farm too much.

I would rather be stuck on the farm than my head stuck in the dirt not knowing what I am talking about. One of the worst schedules? Not even close. Playing elite teams?....Gleason beat three elite teams by a combined 63 points, could have been more. No matter how much you cry, silver wont turn to gold. IMO, the Miss Basketball award should highlight a career and Christopher seems to be on track for that. This year, Hudson deserved everything she was awarded.

QUOTE(taterhead35 @ Mar 22 2007 - 09:17 PM) 826420667[/snapback]I would rather be stuck on the farm than my head stuck in the dirt not knowing what I am talking about. One of the worst schedules? Not even close. Playing elite teams?....Gleason beat three elite teams by a combined 63 points, could have been more. No matter how much you cry, silver wont turn to gold. IMO, the Miss Basketball award should highlight a career and Christopher seems to be on track for that. This year, Hudson deserved everything she was awarded.

Boy this is getting nasty! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> But I have to agree with OS91, Christopher is getting letters from BIG schools, and I really can't say about Gleason beating 3 elite teams with A COMBINED??? 63 points? Whats that mean? No SILVER won't turn to GOLD but when its DESERVING its all the same!! Is Miss Basketball as political as it seems? Any comments on that question? /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

QUOTE(CJED24 @ Mar 23 2007 - 03:02 PM) 826421170[/snapback]Boy this is getting nasty! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> But I have to agree with OS91, Christopher is getting letters from BIG schools, and I really can't say about Gleason beating 3 elite teams with A COMBINED??? 63 points? Whats that mean? No SILVER won't turn to GOLD but when its DESERVING its all the same!! Is Miss Basketball as political as it seems? Any comments on that question? /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

I would say that any team that makes it to the Boro is an elite team, dont you think? 28, 25,and 10....add it up. If Gleason plays so weak how come nobody came close to beating them? They had much better games during the season that were nail biters, all from one of the worst schedules, according to OS91. Read OS91's posts and you will see crying and bashing Gleason for the past two weeks. AS far as politics, every individual award depends alot on how one sells theirself, so in my opinion politics does play a role.

QUOTE(taterhead35 @ Mar 23 2007 - 03:45 PM) 826421181[/snapback]I would say that any team that makes it to the Boro is an elite team, dont you think? 28, 25,and 10....add it up. If Gleason plays so weak how come nobody came close to beating them? They had much better games during the season that were nail biters, all from one of the worst schedules, according to OS91. Read OS91's posts and you will see crying and bashing Gleason for the past two weeks. AS far as politics, every individual award depends alot on how one sells theirself, so in my opinion politics does play a role.

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

OK So he's an OZ fan and one that evidently has a very strong opinion of the team and anything else he wants to comment on (which is his right) but we need to take it easy on each other! Can't we all agree to disagree? By the way you personally can make really sound comments if your not bashed you know? LOL!!

I watched the east vs west all-star game yesterday and am still completely convinced that there is no way Mendenhall should not have been considered for AA Miss Basketball. She was the most talented and athletic player on the court. There was not another player on the court that had the individual skills that she has.

I was at the east west allstar game as well, Delk (miss basketball AA) was getting worked down low, but finally started to step up a little, #22 for the West team from Milan was a good player got a little tired, but she was good. Mandy Mendenhall put up some shots that made the crowd go ooh and aahh, the whole day, she had about nine but she only shot the ball probably 5 times. Puleo didnt impress me at all, she probably just had a bad game, she must be good to sign with Georgia, but she just didnt have her best game. The East had a post #25, she was a good player, she had good moves and played good defense, the closest player to Mendenhall was #15 from the East team that girl was athletic, and big.

QUOTE(aj1133 @ Mar 25 2007 - 04:40 PM) 826422264[/snapback]I watched the east vs west all-star game yesterday and am still completely convinced that there is no way Mendenhall should not have been considered for AA Miss Basketball. She was the most talented and athletic player on the court. There was not another player on the court that had the individual skills that she has.

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> aaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

It never ends................................Hopefully, you will move to mid-major college board next season.

Occasionally, they talk about tn tech on that board.