catsbackr

The Winner?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. The Winner?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give D-B a break, some things came up before they went down to Chatt. with Ritz's son, and he didn't even end up going, so things were a little frantic at the time, and I'm sure Mike wasn't thinking about baseball. They scrapped to the Championship with a variety of used up pitchers already, and one expected pitcher didn't even pitch, because of arm problems. Anyways, good job Owls and thanks for hosting a great tourny.

QUOTE(BwAnG @ Mar 25 2007 - 09:01 PM) 826422417[/snapback]Give D-B a break, some things came up before they went down to Chatt. with Ritz's son, and he didn't even end up going, so things were a little frantic at the time, and I'm sure Mike wasn't thinking about baseball. They scrapped to the Championship with a variety of used up pitchers already, and one expected pitcher didn't even pitch, because of arm problems. Anyways, good job Owls and thanks for hosting a great tourny.

I'm sure there were plenty of teams in the tournament that would have loved a go at the Owls if not already given the chance. I don't understand why a semi's opponent couldn't be brought up to play the Owls in the championship game. Its not like it was a huge secret D-B wasn't gonna play in the final. I'm sure Ooltewah would have been more satisfied with their title after ACTUALLY winning it.

If you enter a tournament, your goal should be to win it. If you do not plan on playing in the championship game, then don't even enter. I'm glad a good team like DB came down, but they knew up front how many games they would have to play if they were to win it....quote]

I think I will have to disagree with you on your "entering a tourney to win it" remark.

I think DB did exactly what they needed to do for their team in this tournament. They came to get extra playing time for the boys. They did not come to showcase their talent but rather to work out kinks and refine it. DB threw 6 pitchers. They won the games that were MUST WIN to advance. So they proved that stradegy and good coaching decisions will work if you trust it. Sometimes you have to look ahead and think of the bigger goal.

For any team a tournament should be time to get ready for the big show at the end of the season. A time to test your decision making as a coach and determine if your doing the right things to get your team through a long week of games.

I applaude DB's coaches on making the best decision for the team.

Everybody's question is could they have won over the OWLS? I think the bigger question is does it matter in May if they had or had not won this tournament?

I will wager that any coach worth his salt will tell you that a conference win in more important then a tournament win,any day of the week. DB learned some valuable lessons this weekend about their squad and will go into mid-season smarter and stronger as a team with that information!

Let me add that I watched some of the most exciting baseball I have ever seen this weekend. DB did not face a weak team. I did not get to follow the other pools for obvious reasons and just looking at a score will not tell you the quality of the players. Someone said their team had 6 or someodd errors to lose a certain game. Well, We had some errors ourselves. But if you look at things in perspective you will realize that some errors come when you're trying to take away an infield hit. For instance...you charge the ball hard onto the grass, in order to shorten the throw from a hit down thrid baseline, then suddenly the ball launches into outer space...you leap as high as you can and put a glove on it to keep it out of the outfield and possibly from becoming a double instead of a single. You've now got an error when you could have just stayed back in your position fielded the ball clean and conceded the single. Many a player will do just that...play safely back while the batter/runner is eating ground towards first. So, what I am saying is that not all errors that appear on the board are bad errors. (Probably just bad score keeping for calling it an error in the first place.)

I hope every player walked away from this weekend a better player for having been on those fields. That should be everyones goal when they step onto a playing field. Improving your skills with every opportunity. Learning to overcome mental problems that will get in the way of your glove and bat. Moving forward in your game skills.

I've heard it said that you never sit still in life. You are either going forward or going backwards. I would suppose that in your baseball skills it is the same. You are either getting better or your slipping backwards. Know what you want from life and go get it guys. The world is yours at this age and the sky is not a limit unless you allow it to be. Set your values and your goals then go get them, while they are still within reach!

Good job Tribe. You make us all proud.

1moreDBmom, I understand your points. I was a pitcher myself in high school, and a lack of ptching is a realistic issue. Also, having district games the next two days doesn't help the situation. But if it was my team, I would have brought some JV or even freshman guys up to throw....surely DB has at least a JV team. We can agree to disagree on my point about entering a tournament. You're right, the ULTIMATE goal is to win the last game of the TSSAA state playoffs. But you have to have short term goals, and I include winning every game I play in those goals.

This would have been a PERFECT opportunity to let some young guy who doesn't have much, if any, varsity experience to get a taste of it.

So, in conclusion, I understand your points, however I would have expected a team of DB's caliber to make do. Hey, at least you made it home to see the re-run of Desparate Housewives and Extreme Makeover: Home Edition! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

"I think DB did exactly what they needed to do for their team in this tournament. They came to get extra playing time for the boys".

That's a little selfish and one-sided isn't it. Surely, one of the other teams might have benefitted from playing

in the championship game and you compeletely leave out the extra money Ool might have earned from gate and concession, which let's don't forget is the real reason we have such tournaments.

QUOTE(GradfromtheNest @ Mar 26 2007 - 07:40 AM) 826422863[/snapback]
1moreDBmom, I understand your points. I was a pitcher myself in high school, and a lack of ptching is a realistic issue. Also, having district games the next two days doesn't help the situation. But if it was my team, I would have brought some JV or even freshman guys up to throw....surely DB has at least a JV team. We can agree to disagree on my point about entering a tournament. You're right, the ULTIMATE goal is to win the last game of the TSSAA state playoffs. But you have to have short term goals, and I include winning every game I play in those goals.

This would have been a PERFECT opportunity to let some young guy who doesn't have much, if any, varsity experience to get a taste of it.

So, in conclusion, I understand your points, however I would have expected a team of DB's caliber to make do. Hey, at least you made it home to see the re-run of Desparate Housewives and Extreme Makeover: Home Edition! :D

DB jv and freshman had games to play also.Good point you had.The teams in DBs pool © was suppose to be some of the best in the tourney,thats what DBs coaches asked for.Walker Valley.Gordon Lee,and Lookout Valley were all good teams.

QUOTE(Rabble Rouser @ Mar 26 2007 - 10:02 AM) 826422879[/snapback]"I think DB did exactly what they needed to do for their team in this tournament. They came to get extra playing time for the boys".

That's a little selfish and one-sided isn't it. Surely, one of the other teams might have benefitted from playing

in the championship game and you compeletely leave out the extra money Ool might have earned from gate and concession, which let's don't forget is the real reason we have such tournaments.

Oh, so it was all about money and not the love of the game.

Shame on me for not thinking of that angle.

I stand fully enlightened and ashamed to think that is was something beyond the all mighty dollar that brought people out in the sun to a ball field....at this moment in time...a little shocked but brough back to earth. Thank you for grounding my feet.

Oh but wait...if it was all about money...and the benefit someone else could gain playing that last game why didn't they extend the offer to allow Maryville to step up and play in our place?

Could it be that everybody was running a little low on pitching and it was the best thing to do for ALL the teams left at this point?

QUOTE(1moreDBmom @ Mar 26 2007 - 08:51 AM) 826422920[/snapback]Oh, so it was all about money and not the love of the game.

Shame on me for not thinking of that angle.

I stand fully enlightened and ashamed to think that is was something beyond the all mighty dollar that brought people out in the sun to a ball field....at this moment in time...a little shocked but brough back to earth. Thank you for grounding my feet.

Oh but wait...if it was all about money...and the benefit someone else could gain playing that last game why didn't they extend the offer to allow Maryville to step up and play in our place?

Could it be that everybody was running a little low on pitching and it was the best thing to do for ALL the teams left at this point?

Maryville was in the same boat. Had they hung on to win against DB they were already pitching JV pitchers at the end of the DB game and would have had to in the finals as well. Having a Monday district game and the Weekend finals not even planning to start till 5 makes for a long sunday puts anyone from not Chattanooga getting home close to 10 and later for DB.