Top Coaches in Tennessee

SoccerFan0910

QUOTE(carlym @ Mar 24 2007 - 03:37 PM) 826421601[/snapback]random question...

how does a team become a national champion? even though a team technically cant, hypothetically how does that happen?

For some strange reason, teams usually claim to be "National Champions" when polls rank them number one in the country at the end of the season that they played soccer. High School sports do not have true championships like some college or professional sports, just ranking in polls. Kinda like when they recruit football players and say that he is the number recruit in the nation, they don't mean that they had a competition for this title, just that some ranking organization said this person is the number one recruit.

These are the polls that I am aware of, but I am sure there are others.

NSCAA :

http://nscaa.com/hsr.php

Student Sports Soccer:

http://studentsportssoccer.Unapproved Website/

EurosportScoreBoard:

http://eurosportscoreboard.com/

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(shoehp @ Mar 24 2007 - 04:01 PM) 826421612[/snapback]For some strange reason, teams usually claim to be "National Champions" when polls rank them number one in the country at the end of the season that they played soccer. High School sports do not have true championships like some college or professional sports, just ranking in polls. Kinda like when they recruit football players and say that he is the number recruit in the nation, they don't mean that they had a competition for this title, just that some ranking organization said this person is the number one recruit.

These are the polls that I am aware of, but I am sure there are others.

NSCAA :

http://nscaa.com/hsr.php

Student Sports Soccer:

http://studentsportssoccer.Unapproved Website/

EurosportScoreBoard:

http://eurosportscoreboard.com/

In 2004 Farragut was ranked 1 in rivals student sports final spring national poll and number 2 in the addidas nscaa final spring national poll

Takedown3. You are very correct in saying that it is impossible to win a national title in high school soccer. It's the same thing with college football; purley impossible. However, the nscaa has come out with overall national champions that encompass all seasons, fall, winter, and spring. Houston won this one in 2000. The only other team that I specifically remember was a team called Bellarmine Prep out in San Jose. Still, the point remains that making these rankings is as fruitless as trying to accurately rank anything.

QUOTE(world cup @ Mar 26 2007 - 12:07 PM) 826423028[/snapback]Takedown3. You are very correct in saying that it is impossible to win a national title in high school soccer. It's the same thing with college football; purley impossible. However, the nscaa has come out with overall national champions that encompass all seasons, fall, winter, and spring. Houston won this one in 2000. The only other team that I specifically remember was a team called Bellarmine Prep out in San Jose. Still, the point remains that making these rankings is as fruitless as trying to accurately rank anything.

I played for the 2 time National Champs in 1999 and 2000 with Houston High School. Yes, we were ranked number 1 and there was no game that made us the champion but we were the only undefeated team in 2000 and we were the last AAA team to go undefeated in the state of TN. We proved that we deserved all the distinction winning the state semifinals 6-2 over an undefeated Bearden team and winning the finals 5-0. 1999: We did have 1 loss but we went to a tournament over Spring Break where we played teams from GA and SC which ended up in the top 10 in the ending national poll. We won 53 straight games and if you want to argue that it was not enough to be determined the national champions, you are out of your minds. There will never be a national championship tournament because of high school budgets and expenditures so you have to take what you can get.

QUOTE(cbusoccer13 @ Mar 27 2007 - 03:19 PM) 826424173[/snapback]I played for the 2 time National Champs in 1999 and 2000 with Houston High School. Yes, we were ranked number 1 and there was no game that made us the champion but we were the only undefeated team in 2000 and we were the last AAA team to go undefeated in the state of TN. We proved that we deserved all the distinction winning the state semifinals 6-2 over an undefeated Bearden team and winning the finals 5-0. 1999: We did have 1 loss but we went to a tournament over Spring Break where we played teams from GA and SC which ended up in the top 10 in the ending national poll. We won 53 straight games and if you want to argue that it was not enough to be determined the national champions, you are out of your minds. There will never be a national championship tournament because of high school budgets and expenditures so you have to take what you can get.

What year did Houston stop playing CBHS? They should play--the CBHS coach is horrible. CBHS had 50 club players last year and couldn't win state.

QUOTE(cbusoccer13 @ Mar 27 2007 - 04:19 PM) 826424173[/snapback]I played for the 2 time National Champs in 1999 and 2000 with Houston High School. Yes, we were ranked number 1 and there was no game that made us the champion but we were the only undefeated team in 2000 and we were the last AAA team to go undefeated in the state of TN. We proved that we deserved all the distinction winning the state semifinals 6-2 over an undefeated Bearden team and winning the finals 5-0. 1999: We did have 1 loss but we went to a tournament over Spring Break where we played teams from GA and SC which ended up in the top 10 in the ending national poll. We won 53 straight games and if you want to argue that it was not enough to be determined the national champions, you are out of your minds. There will never be a national championship tournament because of high school budgets and expenditures so you have to take what you can get.

Those Houston Teams were very,very good. I saw the finals in 2000 and in that game, Houston put on Clinic. That was some of the passing I have ever seen in person. That Bearden Team didn't stand a chance. I also watched the core of that team in D1 TSSA states that year with a completely different outcome. I have wonder about the extremes of the two games by essentially the same players with different coaches.

QUOTE(SpeedyGonzo @ Mar 27 2007 - 04:00 PM) 826424196[/snapback]What year did Houston stop playing CBHS? They should play--the CBHS coach is horrible. CBHS had 50 club players last year and couldn't win state.

I am not sure when CBHS and Houston stopped playing. I am not sure why they wouldn't play each other. We played each year that I was in school at Houston but CBHS never came close.

Our team was very good our junior and even better our senior year. The club issue is something else. We were a bunch of kids from West TN that played against a bunch of kids from East TN. They hammered us in the state club finals and there is nothing else you can say. We were fortunate enough to play together in high school and keep our chemistry. The following year as U19's we all played together in Regionals and advanced out of our bracket (but nothing more). We have all gotten together over the years at soccer events and outings put on across the state and we talk about the past. It is always good for a laugh!

We always talk about our Houston team like the Dolphins in the NFL. Every year we hear that there was no undefeated team, we are like "Another year!" It is fun to hold a record for 6 years.

QUOTE(cbusoccer13 @ Mar 28 2007 - 10:19 AM) 826424794[/snapback]I am not sure when CBHS and Houston stopped playing. I am not sure why they wouldn't play each other. We played each year that I was in school at Houston but CBHS never came close.

Our team was very good our junior and even better our senior year. The club issue is something else. We were a bunch of kids from West TN that played against a bunch of kids from East TN. They hammered us in the state club finals and there is nothing else you can say. We were fortunate enough to play together in high school and keep our chemistry. The following year as U19's we all played together in Regionals and advanced out of our bracket (but nothing more). We have all gotten together over the years at soccer events and outings put on across the state and we talk about the past. It is always good for a laugh!

We always talk about our Houston team like the Dolphins in the NFL. Every year we hear that there was no undefeated team, we are like "Another year!" It is fun to hold a record for 6 years.

Do you remember the breakdown of club players on those Houston teams?

And did Irby win a national title with the girls too?

QUOTE(cbusoccer13 @ Mar 28 2007 - 10:19 AM) 826424794[/snapback]I am not sure when CBHS and Houston stopped playing. I am not sure why they wouldn't play each other. We played each year that I was in school at Houston but CBHS never came close.

Was that the old Rangers team from Memphis?

QUOTE(cbusoccer13 @ Mar 28 2007 - 11:19 AM) 826424794[/snapback]I am not sure when CBHS and Houston stopped playing. I am not sure why they wouldn't play each other. We played each year that I was in school at Houston but CBHS never came close.

I think Bearden went 23-0 in 2002 on their way to an NSCAA National Championship.