Easter Slam

bbcoach17

QUOTE(amburn01 @ Apr 6 2007 - 07:46 PM) 826431598[/snapback]I think it was pretty stupid how it came down to a coin toss, station camp scored a combined 22 runs in the first two games while liberty scored 10. This was definately a bad set up on how a tie breaker should be decided.

Them's the rules.....I figure it ended about right since the ump blew the call at the plate. Should have ended in 7 innings.

By the way....Liberty scored 13 against Haywood and 4 against Crocket Co. Let's see..... that's 17 where I came from. Each team allowed 3 runs.

The Crusaders could have scored 20 against Haywood but our coach (Coach English) thought it best to play the jv team to build the team a little (Good call there coach!!!!).

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(P.A.Lin-Z @ Apr 6 2007 - 09:16 PM) 826431703[/snapback]Them's the rules.....I figure it ended about right since the ump blew the call at the plate. Should have ended in 7 innings.

By the way....Liberty scored 13 against Haywood and 4 against Crocket Co. Let's see..... that's 17 where I came from. Each team allowed 3 runs.

The Crusaders could have scored 20 against Haywood but our coach (Coach English) thought it best to play the jv team to build the team a little (Good call there coach!!!!).

Yeah...This is the picture perfect reason why you have more than 1 or two tiebreakers. Runs scored should have been after runs allowed, but if that wasn't part of the rules then it's just the breaks and you gotta accept it

The Station Camp, Liberty Tech game should have kept going. The way I saw it both schools got some terrible calls and there is know way that game should have ended in a coin flip. good job Liberty you won a coin toss. It could have been SC that won the toss and you would be the ones mad, that is why the game needed to to be played on. and the Pitchers name is Eric Gilley and the lefty that came in after was Brent Amburn. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Sorry Station Camp that you were unbeaten and had some bad luck and did not win a coin toss. Next time you should pick a better tournament. Not a Mickey Mouse Piece of crap one that decides a ball game on a 50/50 coin toss.

QUOTE(bg1987 @ Apr 6 2007 - 10:34 PM) 826431716[/snapback]The Station Camp, Liberty Tech game should have kept going. The way I saw it both schools got some terrible calls and there is know way that game should have ended in a coin flip. good job Liberty you won a coin toss. It could have been SC that won the toss and you would be the ones mad, that is why the game needed to to be played on. and the Pitchers name is Eric Gilley and the lefty that came in after was Brent Amburn. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Sorry Station Camp that you were unbeaten and had some bad luck and did not win a coin toss. Next time you should pick a better tournament. Not a Mickey Mouse Piece of crap one that decides a ball game on a 50/50 coin toss.

Well Station Camp did not end up unbeaten Milan defeated them 4-2 at Milan in the snow Friday...

First, congratulations to the Ripley Tigers for winning the Easter Slam by throwing four shutouts in five games. Liberty finished runner up, North Side 3rd, and Davidson Academy 4th.

Next, the tiebreakers include only wins, head-to-head, and then runs allowed. Runs scored are not included so that a team who is struggling (like Haywood for instance) doesn't have to be subjected to three games of teams running up the score to try and win the pool. It is unfortunate that Station Camp went 2-0-1 in their pool and didn't get to compete in the championship round. The coin could have landed on the other side and they would have gotten a chance. I spoke with Coach Ballard last night and he understood completely - why run up the score all weekend to get to the championship round.

Great tournament, despite the frigid weather. All tournament team was:

Ripley - Wade Vandergriff (MVP)

Ripley - Khayyan Norfork

Ripley - Wade Hargett

Liberty - Shawn Selph

Liberty - Matt Haynes

North Side - Josh Parker

North Side - Jay Lowery

Humboldt - Joey Blankenship

Dyersburg - Les Smith

Milan - Jake Ramsey

Station Camp - Eric Gilley

Westview - Clay Prince

North Side - Zach Cummings

QUOTE(milanbb2005 @ Apr 7 2007 - 01:52 PM) 826431894[/snapback]Well Station Camp did not end up unbeaten Milan defeated them 4-2 at Milan in the snow Friday...

Well before the coin toss they were unbeaten and after that went down they got discuraged. So you did not see them play their best ball. But hey a loss is a loss right that is unless it is due to a coin toss.

QUOTE(bbcoach17 @ Apr 8 2007 - 06:49 AM) 826432233[/snapback]First, congratulations to the Ripley Tigers for winning the Easter Slam by throwing four shutouts in five games. Liberty finished runner up, North Side 3rd, and Davidson Academy 4th.

Next, the tiebreakers include only wins, head-to-head, and then runs allowed. Runs scored are not included so that a team who is struggling (like Haywood for instance) doesn't have to be subjected to three games of teams running up the score to try and win the pool. It is unfortunate that Station Camp went 2-0-1 in their pool and didn't get to compete in the championship round. The coin could have landed on the other side and they would have gotten a chance. I spoke with Coach Ballard last night and he understood completely - why run up the score all weekend to get to the championship round.

Great tournament, despite the frigid weather. All tournament team was:

Ripley - Wade Vandergriff (MVP)

Ripley - Khayyan Norfork

Ripley - Wade Hargett

Liberty - Shawn Selph

Liberty - Matt Haynes

North Side - Josh Parker

North Side - Jay Lowery

Humboldt - Joey Blankenship

Dyersburg - Les Smith

Milan - Jake Ramsey

Station Camp - Eric Gilley

Westview - Clay Prince

North Side - Zach Cummings

Maybe we can get an honorable mention for Jeffrey Edwards from Ripley who threw a shutout in championship game and hit a 3 run homer in a 4-0 win. Great tournament by Ripley.

QUOTE(jusdontno @ Apr 9 2007 - 07:56 AM) 826432863[/snapback]Maybe we can get an honorable mention for Jeffrey Edwards from Ripley who threw a shutout in championship game and hit a 3 run homer in a 4-0 win. Great tournament by Ripley.

I thought of him as well, but only room for so many. Those were the three from Ripley as suggested by Coach Bridges.

QUOTE(bbcoach17 @ Apr 9 2007 - 08:40 AM) 826432898[/snapback]I thought of him as well, but only room for so many. Those were the three from Ripley as suggested by Coach Bridges.

There were some other kids from Ripley who could have been considered. Except for one game when there were 3 unearned runs scored, none of the Ripley pitchers gave up any earned runs. This is exceptional pitching when you consider there were five games played over the course of four days in extremely cold weather. Go Tigers!