one state

bigman42

QUOTE(bigman42 @ Apr 6 2007 - 10:04 PM) 826431753[/snapback]the gentlemen walking the stands during the state finals with about 5 different signs taped to his body evidently likes the idea.. does anybody else think that this would be a good idea?

Personally I believe this would be a great idea, most guys in DII who win state their sophmore and junior years have it made pretty easy their senior year. If there was one state, the level of competition at the state tournament would be much higher and we would see less 3x state champs, and we also would see less state championship matches that fail to even make it into the 3rd period. You people cant tell me that you wouldn't want to see some of the best in DI wrestle against a DII champ that had breezed through their senior season.

QUOTE(bigman42 @ Apr 6 2007 - 11:04 PM) 826431753[/snapback]the gentlemen walking the stands during the state finals with about 5 different signs taped to his body evidently likes the idea.. does anybody else think that this would be a good idea?

This is the deadest of horses. It doesn't matter who thinks what, it ain't gonna happen. When I look at some of the other states , GA for instance, with 5 people per weight class walking around with the title of state champion I am thinking maybe we don't have it so bad. I would much rather see any energy people have for changing the state tournament go towards getting D-1 to a double elimination tournament. In many D-1 regions qualifying for states is a big deal. These kids deserve to get two matches.

If the billion to one scenario came to pass where D-1 and D-2 came together, one heck of a tournament could be had by doing the following:

32 man brackets, with 16 seeded, the other 16 slots would each have a pig tail bracket with two guys wrestling for the one spot. Loser goes home, winner is in the tournament , double elimination, true second place. Total of 48 guys have an opportunity to bring home the gold. Same number as today. No doubt someone would feel they weren't seeded properly but between matman and bray I feel the top 16 wrestlers could be identifed accurately enough to fill the seeded slots.

My money is on nothing changing which is pretty darn discouraging. I would wager 100% of D-1 coaches and wrestlers want the double elimination but year after year the request falls on deaf ears.

I am sure that the D2 guy's would like for everyone to be placed back together but the D1 people are in no way going to vote to place everyone back together. It's easy to knock the D2 schools but let's not forget that the D1 schools voted to place the financial aid giving schools in D2 even though many of those schools helped found the TSSAA.

QUOTE(cbg @ Apr 7 2007 - 03:57 PM) 826431966[/snapback]I am sure that the D2 guy's would like for everyone to be placed back together but the D1 people are in no way going to vote to place everyone back together. It's easy to knock the D2 schools but let's not forget that the D1 schools voted to place the financial aid giving schools in D2 even though many of those schools helped found the TSSAA.

Wrestling has grown in this state under the split. It was stagnant prior to the split in regard to growth of teams. A small school /large school division may grow it more. Almost all states have 2 or more classifications, I don't know off hand a state with 1 classification.

QUOTE(noonesfool @ Apr 7 2007 - 07:22 PM) 826432038[/snapback]Wrestling has grown in this state under the split. It was stagnant prior to the split in regard to growth of teams. A small school /large school division may grow it more. Almost all states have 2 or more classifications, I don't know off hand a state with 1 classification.

I think I would rather see the duals competition greatly expanded, add at least 4 teams to the present small school division, possibly create a 3rd division with 8 teams. This should stimulate some growth in the sport. I would leave the individual tournament alone with the exception of making it a double elimination.

There are a couple of state having one champion. California is one , I believe New York is another. There are more. The two classes ( D-1, D-2 ) in TN while not perfect works better than some of the other states.

QUOTE(noonesfool @ Apr 7 2007 - 07:22 PM) 826432038[/snapback]Wrestling has grown in this state under the split. It was stagnant prior to the split in regard to growth of teams. A small school /large school division may grow it more. Almost all states have 2 or more classifications, I don't know off hand a state with 1 classification.

California & New Jersey have 1 state championship

PA only has two divisions and they have 3X the number of schools wrestling that Tennessee does.

California also has what, around 800 programs? Winning a state title there must be like a mini national tournament. Way off topic, but anybody who's a UFC junkie, probably alot of us on the wrestling board, knows that former UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir was a 2 time state champ in Cali back in his high school days.His skills are shown alot in his old fights before his accident. Dude's a beast on the mat.