How fast are your pitchers?

leeblair

In getting a feel for high school baseball, I was wondering what kind of speed is out there across the state?

My son is a freshman, and throws just over 70, probably around 73; how well should he expect to increase in speed over the next three years?

I'm not too thrilled about him throwing a curve for the 1st year because of the strain it can put on his arm when he switches from a curve back to a fastball.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(baseball100 @ Apr 18 2007 - 10:03 PM) 826440764[/snapback]LONGTOSS. It is the best way 2 get an arm stronger, No matter where you play. And unless he is throwing A lot of V games, I wouldnt throw 2 many curves. JV hitters have a hard time hitting the faseball. Now as he gets older he better learn 2 throw a curve and a few more pitches.

He throws a weighted ball every other day; in the winter, he throws a football 30 times a day every other day. He's working out, and getting stronger by the day.

He's 14, 6'1", 170 lbs, and should get bigger. It's not that he can't throw a curve; I just don't let him much because of the strain that is involved in switching from a curve to a fastball on a pitch by pitch basis.

I've seen it hinder the development of a fastball when they start throwing one too early.

But, he does have to start now. He's had almost a full year on the big field, and he's ready to open up some.

curveballs don't hurt your arm as much as people think...it's when you start to try to snap it off hard that it becomes a problem...a good changeup is always nice to have...it can get you a ton of weak flyballs and grounders...and if his hands are big enough, let him try the splitter...it gets a little getting used to, but it is sick nasty if you can get the hang of it

until this past year i havnt let my son do too much more than fastball and changeups that is all you need it is more important to throw strikes than it is to throw fast...if you throw strikes you are ahead of the game if you throw it 85 MPH but cant throw a strike you are useless...as far as curveballs and all when they are young it should be forbidden!!!!!!yes curveballs are bad when they are young because they havent grown but i think when they get to high school they are OK

QUOTE(braves4life @ Apr 18 2007 - 10:31 PM) 826440779[/snapback]curveballs don't hurt your arm as much as people think...it's when you start to try to snap it off hard that it becomes a problem...a good changeup is always nice to have...it can get you a ton of weak flyballs and grounders...and if his hands are big enough, let him try the splitter...it gets a little getting used to, but it is sick nasty if you can get the hang of it

His coaches have talked to him about a splitter; but I don't know anything about that pitch, so they'll have to teach him. I never threw one, therefore I can't teach him that one.

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ Apr 18 2007 - 10:36 PM) 826440784[/snapback]until this past year i havnt let my son do too much more than fastball and changeups that is all you need it is more important to throw strikes than it is to throw fast...if you throw strikes you are ahead of the game if you throw it 85 MPH but cant throw a strike you are useless...as far as curveballs and all when they are young it should be forbidden!!!!!!yes curveballs are bad when they are young because they havent grown but i think when they get to high school they are OK

Control is not his problem until they make him throw the curve. He can be ahead ,0-2, and then end up in trouble.

I felt that he needed one year on the big field before throwing the curve. The first year is critical; he tore it up in Little League, but there is so much adjusting to the longer distance.

But, I think he's ready now. I just don't want it to slow the development of his fastball down. A good curve doesn't mean a thing if you can't throw a fastball over 75 when you go to the next level.

QUOTE(leeblair @ Apr 18 2007 - 10:24 PM) 826440778[/snapback]He throws a weighted ball every other day; in the winter, he throws a football 30 times a day every other day. He's working out, and getting stronger by the day.

He's 14, 6'1", 170 lbs, and should get bigger. It's not that he can't throw a curve; I just don't let him much because of the strain that is involved in switching from a curve to a fastball on a pitch by pitch basis.

I've seen it hinder the development of a fastball when they start throwing one too early.

But, he does have to start now. He's had almost a full year on the big field, and he's ready to open up some.

weighted balls are a definete no no. In my opinion they put strain on your arm more than a good high school curve ball. The reason being it weighs more than a regular ball as does a football. Long toss is very good for building arm strength as far as switching from a curve to a fastball causing strain that is a new one on me. Throwing a baseball is a strain because it's not a natural motion. At 14 you should check into jobe exercises to strengthen elbow and shoulder these are great.

QUOTE(leftylegend @ Apr 18 2007 - 10:56 PM) 826440794[/snapback]weighted balls are a definete no no. In my opinion they put strain on your arm more than a good high school curve ball. The reason being it weighs more than a regular ball as does a football. Long toss is very good for building arm strength as far as switching from a curve to a fastball causing strain that is a new one on me. Throwing a baseball is a strain because it's not a natural motion. At 14 you should check into jobe exercises to strengthen elbow and shoulder these are great.

What happened to me was that I noticed that in switching back to a fastball after throwing a curve, the torque on your arm was different.

As far as the weighted ball, we only use it for warming up- no pitching. I wouldn't let him strain to throw it. It will, however, make a baseball feel feather lite after loosening up with the weighted ball.

QUOTE(leeblair @ Apr 18 2007 - 11:01 PM) 826440796[/snapback]What happened to me was that I noticed that in switching back to a fastball after throwing a curve, the torque on your arm was different.

As far as the weighted ball, we only use it for warming up- no pitching. I wouldn't let him strain to throw it. It will, however, make a baseball feel feather lite after loosening up with the weighted ball.

When he warms up does he not throw the weighted ball & by making the baseball feel feather lite he may not actually be loose enough to throw a baseball. I would be real careful with this, you should ask a ortho doctor about warming up with a weighted ball and see if he thinks this may cause arm problems.

QUOTE(leeblair @ Apr 18 2007 - 10:01 PM) 826440796[/snapback]What happened to me was that I noticed that in switching back to a fastball after throwing a curve, the torque on your arm was different.

Just throw away that weighted ball...use rubber bands instead!